Training Camp Thread

doumeyer

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Ok then 2nd rounder lol.  I'd rather get weapons in now vs. waiting.

If we make a move and trade picks for players I'd expect that to happen sooner rather than later. With a short TC and all, you'd want these guys in as fast as you can starting ASAP (being camp is tomorrow).

The big thing is the IFFFFFF we bring anyone in. I think JD is surely making calls though now with picks (assuming the physically check out, if they haven't already).

I know I'm the native Gase homer and you guys cant understand why but trust me I've dug so deep into his offense this spring/summer I just know how great it can be when it works. And another reason I want him here for the foreseeable future is Sam and his development. 

"Before he was asking a lot of questions, and now he's more telling us how he should have done something, which is great," said Gase, who is heading into his second season leading the Jets and is the offense's play-caller, of Darnold. "When you're a coach and you start hearing a player talk like that, you get really fired up and you can see it's coming. He's really understanding this and he's understanding the why behind things. You can tell there's an irritation, too, when he sees mistakes made from last year, especially at the beginning of the year. That's not going to happen again and the longer we go in this thing, the better he's going to get."

The Line protecting him and guys getting open isn't the only thing that will help Sam but the mental aspect of knowing where he's going with the ball post snap will be huge for him. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I know I'm the native Gase homer and you guys cant understand why but trust me I've dug so deep into his offense this spring/summer I just know how great it can be when it works. And another reason I want him here for the foreseeable future is Sam and his development. 

The Line protecting him and guys getting open isn't the only thing that will help Sam but the mental aspect of knowing where he's going with the ball post snap will be huge for him. 

Love that quote. Above all else, my biggest criticism of Gase is his inability to adapt on the fly. I don't for a second question his football intelligence or schematics. I think a big reason Peyton had so much success in his offense is because Gase provided an arsenal of dynamic options & ultimately Manning dictated what to do at the LOS. Too often, I felt like Gase was hesitant to make adjustments that most of us were already calling for. It's something Miami fans were overtly critical of as well. 

Schematically, I get why you're a big fan - anyone who doesn't should look to what Kyle Shanahan is doing. I just question whether or not we have the personnel to execute an offense that is so predicated on timing & precision.

I'm cheating but check this out. 

Darnold's average stats in 12 games last year(I've excluded the Patriots game because its just such an outlier) over a 16 game season. I'm think how much better he could have been not being sick and missing 3 games which would have been great for him in terms of grasping the offense sooner than he did. 

21.83/34.08(64% completion percentage good for 14th in the league)

244.83 Yards Per Game(over 16 games that's 3917 yards good for 22nd in the league)

2.1-1 TD INT ratio. Over 16 games 25 TD-12 INT(16th most TDs in league, 15th least interceptions)

Some of this is obviously farfetched but overall statistically outside of that Pats game he took strides even with everything against him. 

If last year pre-season you were told Sam would go 4,000 yards/64% completions/25 touchdowns/12 interceptions would you have taken that?

That's my baseline for him this season.

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I'm cheating but check this out. 

Darnold's average stats in 12 games last year(I've excluded the Patriots game because its just such an outlier) over a 16 game season. I'm think how much better he could have been not being sick and missing 3 games which would have been great for him in terms of grasping the offense sooner than he did. 

21.83/34.08(64% completion percentage good for 14th in the league)

244.83 Yards Per Game(over 16 games that's 3917 yards good for 22nd in the league)

2.1-1 TD INT ratio. Over 16 games 25 TD-12 INT(16th most TDs in league, 15th least interceptions)

Some of this is obviously farfetched but overall statistically outside of that Pats game he took strides even with everything against him. 

If last year pre-season you were told Sam would go 4,000 yards/64% completions/25 touchdowns/12 interceptions would you have taken that?

That's my baseline for him this season.

I think that's a good baseline and I think that he gets there - I just hope that he is consistent from Game 1

29 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I think that's a good baseline and I think that he gets there - I just hope that he is consistent from Game 1

I just hope the OL is consistent.  If Sam has to run around 30 yds. behind the LOS to avoid getting the snot knocked out of him, Sam is screwed.