Sean McVay vs Doug Pederson

Chargers

Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

McVay is the Tony Romo of head coaches. He's good, but he just doesn't have what it takes to win a SB.

That's ok though. He has a great mind, a great personality, and gets results in the regular season. No reason to think McVay can't be a HOF color commentator one day.

I also firmly believe that if Sean McVay challenged Doug Pederson to Madden, he would finally win a head to head match-up against him.

McVay is Don Shula. Pederson is Tom Coughlin. There's value in both.

Coaching grandpa: Mike Holmgren
Coaching fathers: Jon Gruden and Andy Reid

Andy's baby coaches:
Pat Shurmur
John Harbaugh
Sean McDermott
Ron Rivera
Matt Nagy
Doug Pederson

Jon's baby coaches:
Sean McVay
Kyle Shannahan
Jay Gruden

That's like super generalized obviously, but I feel like McVay v. Shannahan is a closer argument for who is a better coach. I think both McVay and Shannahan have surpassed Gruden. I think Andy is still the best in his tree, maybe John Harbaugh has some argument of a claim over him. I think after Andy his former staff goes Harbaugh, McDermott, Rivera, then Pederson. I think Gruden and Reid have surpassed Holmgren too. I think it's worth saying that the "Gruden tree" is heavily overlapped with Mike Shannahan who adds in Gary Kubiak and is probably my favorite coaching tree and that influence has rebranded what was the "Gruden west coast" offense into something awesome.

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

McVay turned a 4 win team into an 11 win team in 2017, winning Coach of the Year.  He then stepped it up the next year with 13 wins and a SB appearance. And if people want to talk about 2019, the Rams went 9-7 in the NFL's toughest division, which is the same record the Eagles posted in the NFL's worst division. Additionally, McVay has zero non-winning seasons

One SB ring weighs more than all of that - you may not believe that, but it does.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

He’s going to respond with a “So Joe Flacco is better Dan Marino” or something of that nature.

Who was that coach that couldn’t get Dan Marino a ring? It couldn’t be that same coach that certain poster is waving his D around comparing him to Sean McVay?? Could it????

• Like 1