2021 NFL Draft Prospects

So what is the intel on Quinn Meinerz -  he looked super powerful on the film above where he even managed to pancake a DT in a 1-1 drill. I know the scouting community are raving about him at the senior bowl, but difficult to properly evaluate him.

4 hours ago, Rein said:

So what is the intel on Quinn Meinerz -  he looked super powerful on the film above where he even managed to pancake a DT in a 1-1 drill. I know the scouting community are raving about him at the senior bowl, but difficult to properly evaluate him.

I need to watch more of him. I honestly haven’t much clue about him myself. A lot of OL talent though that’s for sure. There was another OL I was impressed with at OT, but I can’t recall his name. Will have to watch the vids again and see who it was.

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Somewhat disappointed with Tylan Wallace. Love the ability to make contested catches, but he just didn’t  seem as explosive as the other options available at WR. I’m looking forward to more videos.

Pure separation ability is a question too. 

That's the thing with this WR class..., I don't think it's a good one for us. Especially with Olave returning to school. Even the guys I generally like, like Wallace- have big question marks.

Short of us trading up for an elite option, I don't see us leaving the draft with the immediate impact option fans are desperately asking for. 

It's a trade or FA if we're looking for significant improvements imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Pure separation ability is a question too. 

That's the thing with this WR class..., I don't think it's a good one for us. Especially with Olave returning to school. Even the guys I generally like, like Wallace- have big question marks.

Short of us trading up for an elite option, I don't see us leaving the draft with the immediate impact option fans are desperately asking for. 

It's a trade or FA if we're looking for significant improvements imo.

Agreed. While I think Wallace COULD become a good WR, there’s definite questions. He’s answering his strengths well enough, but I was hoping he would flash more separation ability and maybe he’d be someone that could thrive.

But considering Roman and our WRs not being schemed to success, I can’t imagine Wallace would elevate our situation as much as I’d hoped. Best bet in the 2nd round could end up being (if he falls) Terrace Marshall.
——

But yeah, I’m really hoping that Atlanta decides to blow things up this offseason vs sticking with Ryan, though with the Saints being roughly $100m over the cap AFTER Brees retires and clears up space and the Panthers not being positioned to truly compete yet, the Falcons could decide to keep that squad together for one more season and hope for the best.

From our perspective, trading for Julio Jones mid season might be our best bet, in the event that the Falcons don’t look like they’ll be competing. But again, hopefully it doesn’t come to that. I think if Justin Fields lands into their lap, I think they will draft him and trade Ryan. But we’ll see.

• Like 1

Dwayne Eskridge. His separation ability at the senior bowl was intriguing. Reminds me of an Emmanuel Sanders clone. Savvy route runner from the looks of it (highlights and Senior Bowl).

I want to watch a little more, but I think Eskridge is someone I might elevate beyond Tylan Wallace considering his separation ability, gamebreaking speed, and his willingness to high point the football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Dwayne Eskridge. His separation ability at the senior bowl was intriguing. Reminds me of an Emmanuel Sanders clone. Savvy route runner from the looks of it (highlights and Senior Bowl).

I want to watch a little more, but I think Eskridge is someone I might elevate beyond Tylan Wallace considering his separation ability, gamebreaking speed, and his willingness to high point the football.

This is a guy Decosta mentioned by name in that weird Senior Bowl video too...I'll have to take a look

8 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

This is a guy Decosta mentioned by name in that weird Senior Bowl video too...I'll have to take a look

Yup. He told me to pay attention and I definitely did. Granted, I’m sure I would’ve paid attention eventually, but I usually don’t go quite that far down the WR rankings typically this early. I don’t recall where he was in the consensus rankings, but I’m guessing outside of the initial top 15. I believe I made it down to Sage Surratt, but that was where I ended... and even with him it was just a quick view. Though I may have also saw Eskridge’s measurables and moved on from him.

He’s definitely got some Terry McLaurin production to his credit though, wonder if that might cap his ascension up draft boards some.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Eskridge turns 24 in March. Which is a buzzkill. 

Hadn’t realized that. I knew he was older but yeah, very unattractive. Makes sense why he’s pro ready. He’s almost retirement ready at his age.  😂

I keep going back to Terrace Marshall in this class. Bust potential, his personality I can’t get a true bead on, but he’s got the traits, skills, and age in his favor. I doubt he falls to the 2nd though.

Trading for Julio has to be hope #1 at this point. Draft looks too muddy.

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Hadn’t realized that. I knew he was older but yeah, very unattractive. Makes sense why he’s pro ready. He’s almost retirement ready at his age.  😂

I keep going back to Terrace Marshall in this class. Bust potential, his personality I can’t get a true bead on, but he’s got the traits, skills, and age in his favor. I doubt he falls to the 2nd though.

Trading for Julio has to be hope #1 at this point. Draft looks too muddy.

That said, to play Devil’s Advocate to myself, Calvin Ridley also was an overrated rookie WR and while that made me lower on him, perhaps Eskridge can do similar things.

But yeah, hopefully EDC’s strategy with mentioning all the top WRs in the draft was a misdirection ploy, so teams won’t know our real intention is to trade for a WR option like Julio or perhaps that MW trade idea @SalvadorsDeli(really wanted to type BTerp), brought up in the other thread.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:33 PM, diamondbull424 said:

11. Terrace Marshall = Justyn Ross
Still not too sure what to make of Marshall. I struggle scouting these LSU receivers. Probably a poor man’s Justyn Ross. Might be faster but not as route precise. Hands aren’t quite as good either.

I will update my overall WR/playmaker rankings after more time. As of right now, my goal is trying to figure out Terrace Marshall. Like I said, I think he reminds me of Justyn Ross, who decided to return to Clemson for another year. Olave also returned to tOSU.

So figuring out Marshall is something I’m starting to look into. On tape some of what has bothered me about these LSU receivers has been their apparent lack of work ethic on a play to play basis, but I think that’s a system thing. I was reading up about how with some coaches in an Air Raid system that actually teach their receivers to not run hard every play so as to conserve energy for the plays when they’re the expected target. I think something similar might be the case with these LSU WRs. What’s more I’ve seen some blocking reps where Marshall has looked good, it’s rare, but I’m thinking his poor blocking is less about an inability to do so nor even effort (like with Jamar Chase) but more a technique issue and a core strength issue.

LSU’s system definitely makes for a difficult diagnoses for me, but considering Marshall’s 92nd percentile college dominator rating, his 85th percentile breakout age, his 23 TDs in two collegiate seasons- as both a Batman (main guy) and a Robin (I’ll call Justin Jefferson Nightwing in this analogy), and on the age note he’ll only be drafted at 20.

So there’s a lot there to like and his tape isn’t bad, just confusing. Sort of like how their was a lot to like and dislike with Patrick Queen’s tape, but his potential is undeniable. At his size he moves so fluidly. I said a garbage man’s Randy Moss, but I think after more time to analyze my thoughts, probably something more like Allen Robinson (will be drafted at a similar age). There’s also some Marvin Jones Jr to him.

At his drafted age however there’s a lot to like and if we do go WR in round 1, I think I’m talking myself more into the idea of Terrace Marshall for those reasons. He can win 1on1 already and is easily a superior WR prospect to Miles Boykin coming out of Notre Dame. His floor is a better Boykin while his ceiling is probably something like Allen Robinson. Even with inferior coaching, Robinson developed himself into a stud and given Marshall’s track record, his NFL bloodlines, plus former teammates that I’m sure he will train with in the offseason that are having/could have great success in the NFL I think it’s a gamble I’d be willing to take to solidify our WR position.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

plus former teammates that I’m sure he will train with in the offseason that are having/could have great success in the NFL I think it’s a gamble I’d be willing to take to solidify our WR position.

Some people might write this point off, but I think it's an excellent one.

For example, Marquise having AB as his cousin and working out with him has clearly had an affect on his game. It is a major selling point imo.

If we do go WR early, I think we're down to Terrace Marshall and Rashod Bateman as the names to watch for. Neither are terrible gambles. I like the Robinson comp for Marshall, and I think while his floor could be iffy the ceiling is potentially better than Robinson's(Might have a speed and fluidity edge over AR). And Keenan Allen is a popular comp for Rashod Bateman, which I'm fine with.

No LSU players drafted- ever. Then back to back 1st Rounders from Baton Rouge would be pretty trippy. 5 Star Recruit, Good SEC production at a young age, confidence to head for the NFL early at 20 Y/O, elite peers/friends at the same position, no glaring athletic limitations, physical dimensions are perfect(6'3 200+), NFL Bloodlines(Uncle Joe Delaney ran for 1K with the Chiefs in the 80s(died tragic hero's death),...🤷‍♂️ Tape isn't flawless but beggers can't be choosers, and he boasts one of the better Late 1st-Early 2nd WR Profiles we've had a shot at in a while.

• Like 1