Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

1 minute ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Torts is in the last year of his deal and 62 yrs old. Depending how this season goes, we may go in a different direction.

That could happen then. You still have to be willing to pay him. Not sure if that's a problem or not, but I think he definitely wants his money. Not sure if the market plays a role for him. There was talk that he wanted bigger markets from people on HF, but I'm not sure I ever saw that officially corroborated or anything. 

3 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Torts is in the last year of his deal and 62 yrs old. Depending how this season goes, we may go in a different direction.

Can I ask a question? Why?

Like yes, he's demanding and he requires his teams to play a lot of two-way hockey, but man that guy is one of the few coaches I've seen get more out of his team than talent. Like the sum is greater than the parts. It's also viable playoff hockey. It's not like he plays trap hockey a la Lemaire nor is it that players don't put up offensive numbers on his teams (Panarin >PPG pace for example). He also develops players really well.

For a market that isn't as attractive, I'd think you hold on to Torts unless there is a clear upgrade available. I think Laine will be fine for CBJ, Jarmo being Finnish, I doubt he makes the trade if he thought Laine would bail after a season. Also your team doesn't have Wheeler on it, so I think that plays a big part of it.

So I'm not going to pretend like Carter Hart has been elite or even good this year...but the Flyers actually are terrible.  Their metrics are just absolutely awful, getting completely dominated in CF/xGF/etc each game.  I unfortunately couldn't watch the game so far tonight but these goals against are absolutely ridiculous.  Complete defensive breakdowns.  

Matt Niskanen was great for this team but Check Fletcher should be fired for this defensive roster he has assembled.  Niskanen retires and he resigns Justin Braun and the big FA is Erik Gustafsson, complete joke.  

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Can I ask a question? Why?

Like yes, he's demanding and he requires his teams to play a lot of two-way hockey, but man that guy is one of the few coaches I've seen get more out of his team than talent. Like the sum is greater than the parts. It's also viable playoff hockey. It's not like he plays trap hockey a la Lemaire nor is it that players don't put up offensive numbers on his teams (Panarin >PPG pace for example). He also develops players really well.

For a market that isn't as attractive, I'd think you hold on to Torts unless there is a clear upgrade available. I think Laine will be fine for CBJ, Jarmo being Finnish, I doubt he makes the trade if he thought Laine would bail after a season. Also your team doesn't have Wheeler on it, so I think that plays a big part of it.

Not saying it is happening, just that it's possible. May just feel that things have gotten stagnant after 6 seasons. If the team continues to play like they did today post-PLD I think he will be extended.

38 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Weird, almost like icing Robert Hagg, Justin Braun, Erick Gustafsson, and Mark Friedman as your defense isn't a good thing. 

I know there were rumors about the Wild possibly trading Dumba this offseason. If they are thinking about it we need to be talking to them.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I know there were rumors about the Wild possibly trading Dumba this offseason. If they are thinking about it we need to be talking to them.

Expansion draft this offseason makes it really tough for us.  We can really only trade for a pure 1 year rental with having to protect Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers

Just now, flyers0909 said:

Expansion draft this offseason makes it really tough for us.  We can really only trade for a pure 1 year rental with having to protect Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers

Maybe. Though trading other assets to Seattle to not pick an unprotected one is an option.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Vancouver and giving up 5 goals/game. Name a better duo?

Yikes my nan can play better D than that unit.

I really wanted their pick to new Jersey to push to this year because I thought there was a reasonable chance they would crater.