Week 4 Postgame: GB 35 • CHI 14

Cakeshoppe

In his presser, sure sounds like McCarthy benched him for his attitude more than anything. Talked about how they assess players maturity levels on the sidelines during the game. Also, he's not getting cut but will be disciplined by the team

Damarious Randall not likely to be released even though he left the sideline during Thursday night's game. Internal discipline is expected for the former first-round draft pick.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fdemovsky_rob.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropRob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

That CB group is so dang young.  House is the only player over 3 years of NFL experience.  With him being hurt, it just seems they need a bit of veteran guidance and leadership.  Not sure where that is going to come from within the group at this point.  Hopefully House, Burnett, HaHa can help with the younger players learning how to take the good with the bad.  

3 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Really wish we could get a guy like Woodson to talk to Randall. Woodson had an issue with a coach when he first got here. This thing can go 2 ways, hope it works out for us and Randall.

Would be nice to get someone to come in and talk to him. Certainly the coaches can but sometimes it needs to come from another voice outside of the coaching staff.

Heard today that lane Taylor hadn't played any snaps at offensive tackle in game action. Going back to an Oklahoma State spring game he played a few snaps. That's pretty incredible considering he stepped out there on a few days notice and played a really solid game.

The kid is young and by all accounts GB from the top to the bottom put a great deal of effort into caring for their players and families. He's young and having his ups and downs. For him to push back just shows he's immature and likely needed to vent. Everyone should remember that on top of their coaches assessing them so is the media, so are all the uninformed fans as well. Some of us fans may have played at decent levels but none of us have dealt with NFL media, fans and such. I can only guess it's great when your on top but what's it like when your not on top or fighting for your career. Us fans we just click off a night, these guys gotta live with it after whether right or wrong. I"m glad to hear that MM has sat down with him and talked about things.

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Heard today that lane Taylor hadn't played any snaps at offensive tackle in game action. Going back to an Oklahoma State spring game he played a few snaps. That's pretty incredible considering he stepped out there on a few days notice and played a really solid game.

Lane had a solid game, the only time they mentioned him last night was talking about how they hadn't talked about him. A big up to him and even Mccray last night. Romo said it like 5 times that Mccray was having a rough night, i thought he played well with the exception of a couple of plays all things considered.

I think Randall might be one of those players where the coaches just need to keep his assignment simple a let his natural talent serve him.  Seems like most of Randall's worst moments have included shots of him clearly confused about what the coverage was supposed to be after the fact. 

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think Randall might be one of those players where the coaches just need to keep his assignment simple a let his natural talent serve him.  Seems like most of Randall's worst moments have included shots of him clearly confused about what the coverage was supposed to be after the fact. 

Kind of hard to play this defensive scheme in that manner.  As an example, there are adjustments to the responsibilities if your guy goes from inside to outside or vice versa.  He needs to know how to play the team defense.  There isn't a single role on this team that doesn't have to communicate and work with another position.  There isn't a single role like that in the NFL on any team outside of something like kicker.

It not that tough to keep Randall in man coverage when he's on that field.  Does it limit what the defense can do when he's out there?  Sure.  But that seems like a better option than having him give up the seemingly inevitable blown coverage.  If Randall doesn't understand the finer points of the GB defense by now, I doubt he's ever going to.

I don't think Randall is getting beat because he doesn't understand his responsibility or the coverages. I think he's the same player now as he was his rookie year except then he was guessing right and making big plays and now he's guessing wrong and giving up big plays. His benching was likely a combination of him guessing the route - which he must have been told not to do several times by now - and then throwing his arms up in the air like it wasn't his fault instead of acknowledging that it was, correcting it, and moving on.

Archived