Week 4 Postgame: GB 35 • CHI 14

Cakeshoppe

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

So where do things stand regarding Thompson's 2015 draft? It's still early in the year but it's not good seeing RAndall getting benched for an UDFA player and Rollins can't even get on the field with GB playing nickel/dime a ton

Even more proof that you shouldn't draft for need.  I'm not ready to give up on Randall, but Rollins is looking like a bust more and more everyday.

Just now, driftwood said:

id agree if it wasnt for Randall going AWOL last night...

I'm willing to give him time to explain himself.  My guess is his emotions got the best of him, the coaching staff will talk to him about it, and let's see where it goes from there.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure Kenny Clark will ever get the love he deserves.  Ben Fennell had a few pretty good tweets about his play last night.

A lot of people are pretty low on his pass rushing abilities, but I see the potential there. A few plays I saw him blow up his guy, and if it was a longer developing play he would of drastically influenced it. 

Just now, pollino14 said:

A lot of people are pretty low on his pass rushing abilities, but I see the potential there. A few plays I saw him blow up his guy, and if it was a longer developing play he would of drastically influenced it. 

Probably doesn't help that he plays next to Mike Daniels, but he's not one-dimensional by any means.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Even more proof that you shouldn't draft for need.  I'm not ready to give up on Randall, but Rollins is looking like a bust more and more everyday.

I still like Randall as well and think the issues he's having are clearly in his head and with his attitude. Rollins on the other hand.....yeah, that's looking like a miss

On the Adams hit, I don't think Trevathan was looking to injure anyone, but that's more or less irrelevant.  He came in with his helmet lowered at full speed on a player who had already been stopped.  If he said afterward that he didn't think he made helmet to helmet contact with Adams, I actually believe him because given the position of his lowered helmet, how would he know?  This hit is exactly the kind of thing the NFL claims they want to remove from the game, so I am interested to see how they handle the review.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Every team drafts for need. Their struggling only proves that some players can't cut it in the NFL, which is true for every team and every draft.

Props to MM and Rodgers for a well planned, smartly called, and meticulously executed offensive game plan.

It might have seemed obvious to everyone that we needed to rely on running play-action, and quick passing plays given our OL situation, but sometimes it's easy to out think yourself if you are the best QB in the game. The Packers ruthlessly leaned on their relative strengths deep into this game.

Two of the biggest successes were a result of what game theory would call playing a "balanced" strategy- switching up your own tendencies from the same starting formation. In theory against a perfect opponent this makes you unpredictable and hard to exploit. In practice it's much better- you end up exploiting your opponent's very human weaknesses as they try to anticipate your move and guess wrong.

1. As Romo pointed out - the 2nd TD( to Cobb) was a result of the setup on the first TD (to Adams). Against a more disciplined defense this wrinkle would still give Cobb the inside-edge for Rodgers to fit a rope in as the defense is forced to defend against either opportunity. Against a less disciplined defender like we saw last night the cb had the first TD play in his head and vastly overplay the pick-possibility in TD2, leaving Cobb embarrassingly wide-open for an easy score.

2. The fourth down conversion to 87 was from a variation on a tight running formation with light (11) personnel I can only describe as interesting. There were three "backs" including Cobb bunched in the box near the LOS off to Rodgers' right (Cobb- nearest the LOS, another a TE/RB slightly behind and to Cobb's left, and the third a tailback) with just one wide-splitWR on the far left side and the last WR in a short (normal slot) split on the bunched side . The Packers ran out of this the first time with Montgomery, featuring Cobb valiantly blocking on the edge of the OL/DL engagement while the FB/TE led for the HB. I will shamelessly pat myself on the back for predicting we'd see a pass out of this formation/action in an important future situation if not in this game then later in the season to capitalize on opponent scouting. Sure enough MM rolled out the same formation for the fourth down conversion late in the third quarter. In theory running and passing out of this formation makes both run and pass better as the defense can't defend just one and must give up small positioning edges as concession to either possibility. In practice the Packers made this look easy as Fuller listlessly let Jordy into his body as he "blocked", letting him get upfield enough that Jordy's ensuing route to the sideline was plenty deep to convert for a 1st.

If I can notice these kinds of plays I'm sure there were others I missed (please share if you saw them, I love this crap!). They might not always fool the opponent or be executed to success, but they are the kinds of important things good strategic coaches do to keep the defense off balance and create advantages for their team.

I was impressed with AR for reeling in his natural tendency to extend plays. He was getting the ball out on-time within play design, and didn't seem to be changing out of called runs as often as usual. While that might seem an obvious plan to most of you it's clear this goes against his every natural instinct and there have been games in the past where he tried to force plays to be extended where the personnel just wouldn't allow it. I think this is an under-the-radar sign of maturity in his game.

40 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably doesn't help that he plays next to Mike Daniels, but he's not one-dimensional by any means.

Clark's ability as a pass rusher is to just walk the IOL back into the QB's lap.  He did that a few times last night and that makes nearly all QB's very uncomfortable.  He has played really well the last 2 games without Daniels next to him, can't wait to see those 2 next to each other at full 100% strength again.  Seattle they were tremendously disruptive and can be against other teams.

43 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If Randall gets back on the field, need to start a drinking game where everyone drinks when Randall is spotted looking confused with his arms raised in the classic "wha' happened?" pose.

Wouldn't be terribly upset if we never had to see that pose again.  Just judging from his body language he is not a very accoubntable player ... never his fault.

Archived