CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With NIL, are scholarships really worth all that much anymore?  

Considering I can't imagine the majority of kids are getting paid what a scholarship is worth, yes. Especially outside football and basketball. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Considering I can't imagine the majority of kids are getting paid what a scholarship is worth, yes. Especially outside football and basketball. 

My comment was more for football, basketball and even baseball at the bigger schools down south.  

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

My comment was more for football, basketball and even baseball at the bigger schools down south.  

Baseball is an “at will” sport where essentially nobody gets a full ride and 95% of those guys will exit school with loans, especially private schools.

49 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baseball is an “at will” sport where essentially nobody gets a full ride and 95% of those guys will exit school with loans, especially private schools.

On top of all of the expenses likely still on credit cards from “travel” baseball………all of that stuff isn’t worth it.  I have done the math on lacrosse, but I thought there were more scholarships for baseball. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Has something changed recently? Back when I attended one of my friends was on a full ride, messed his shoulder up and had to medically retire yet the school honored his scholarship to the end.

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With NIL, are scholarships really worth all that much anymore?  

Yes, let the schools pay for everything school-related.  

6 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Has something changed recently? Back when I attended one of my friends was on a full ride, messed his shoulder up and had to medically retire yet the school honored his scholarship to the end.

It’s always been an “at will” sport. Most of the “full rides” are combo scholarships that include something like this:

Athletic: 60%

In state tuition: 10%

AcademIc: 30%

And a “Hey, our athletes live ________ off campus here” to dodge the room and board.

https://www.ncsasports.org/baseball/scholarships

You get 11.7 scholarships to share with a maximum of 27 kids on a 39 man roster, leaving room for 8-12 walk ons. Before 2020 it was much worse, because smart kids were basically not given any athletic money because otherwise it would count against that 11.7 number.

So, for example, I turned down a D-I roster spot at a local state school as one of those “walk ons” and instead went D-II, where I got a combo academic and athletic scholarship at an in state location, where after the dust settled, it cost me less money, I got to start for 3 years instead of sitting the bench, and got a better education.

• Like 2

IMO there's abundent evidence of clear lack of institutional control by Georgia, and they should be hit with the death penalty. Once reinstated, this will serve as a clean slate restart to build the program correctly, as well as provide an example to other programs that this will not be tolerated at the collegiate level.

20 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

IMO there's abundent evidence of clear lack of institutional control by Georgia, and they should be hit with the death penalty. Once reinstated, this will serve as a clean slate restart to build the program correctly, as well as provide an example to other programs that this will not be tolerated at the collegiate level.

I’ll give you the whole bunch of drinking and driving issues that have happened, but with Thomas, this was an issue before he came to UGA.  He should be out of the NCAA after this one.  

But yeah, this is not looking good on the whole for Kirby.  

On 7/27/2024 at 9:01 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

I’ll give you the whole bunch of drinking and driving issues that have happened, but with Thomas, this was an issue before he came to UGA.  He should be out of the NCAA after this one.  

But yeah, this is not looking good on the whole for Kirby.  

Do you think the NCAA will start trying to make an example out of them? Can they even? I'm still not 100% sure on what they can and cannot do in situations like this but it is seemingly getting out of hand. At first I thought we were hyper focused on them but it seems like that isn't the case

• 3 weeks later...