CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

29 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Oregon, Washington, and Stanford need to just abandon ship and come to the Big 10.

I didn't see Stanford included, but I have heard some rumors that if the Big 12 poaches schools to make a basketball super conference, that the PAC will fall apart, and that the Big 10 may end up with Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame, and Miami.

I think what’s interesting is the streaming strategies by the Big 10 vs. SEC.

The Big 10 is copying what the NFL does- Make sure your product is on every possible free “non-cable” platform. Obviously, streaming is dominant, but eventually people will want free stuff if they can’t afford streaming or get annoyed by needing a bunch of different streaming platforms.

The SEC is going full on streaming, because it’s what ESPN is going to eventually be moving on to.

I’m curious what happens with the national championship if ESPN is purely streaming.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I think what’s interesting is the streaming strategies by the Big 10 vs. SEC.

The Big 10 is copying what the NFL does- Make sure your product is on every possible free “non-cable” platform. Obviously, streaming is dominant, but eventually people will want free stuff if they can’t afford streaming or get annoyed by needing a bunch of different streaming platforms.

The SEC is going full on streaming, because it’s what ESPN is going to eventually be moving on to.

I’m curious what happens with the national championship if ESPN is purely streaming.

The contract runs out ‘25-‘26 season and it will be interesting to see the fallout on the rights after that, especially with expansion looming. Fox could be a big name to look at and I think it’s a mistake to go full streaming at this point, but I unfortunately think that’s the direction that all sports are going to. The NFL is already testing the waters there.

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

but I unfortunately think that’s the direction that all sports are going to.

I understand why you feel that way. However, it’s like people saying radio is going to die off. No, companies found a way to make money off of that.

If there is money to be made on TV, even basic. Then networks will find a way to use it to make money. The 40-50 year olds who don’t stream are still going to be alive for another 30 years. Companies will find a way to make money off of them.

Things will change, but they won’t cease to exist.

Edited by candyman93

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I understand why you feel that way. However, it’s like people saying radio is going to die off. No, companies found a way to make money off of that.

If there is money to be made on TV, even basic. Then networks will find a way to use it to make money. The 40-50 year olds who don’t stream are still going to be alive for another 30 years. Companies will find a way to make money off of them.

Things will change, but they won’t cease to exist.

I agree with all of that. I’m speaking purely for postseason, potentially some marquee games as well.

Sure, good chance we can still watch 50-75% of games, but big company money that wants more pay per view/bundled streaming service money is going to get that IMO.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The contract runs out ‘25-‘26 season and it will be interesting to see the fallout on the rights after that, especially with expansion looming. Fox could be a big name to look at and I think it’s a mistake to go full streaming at this point, but I unfortunately think that’s the direction that all sports are going to. The NFL is already testing the waters there.

The elephant in the room is the NFL's capacity to go global, and what the global market for football looks like.

They've farted around for a decade with a game here or there at Wembley instead of doing it right. The second there's a concerted effort to tap into football markets globally, the balance of power between traditional TV and streaming shifts.

(Appealing to a global market could also have huge benefits to a university's ability to attract international students.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The elephant in the room is the NFL's capacity to go global, and what the global market for football looks like.

They've farted around for a decade with a game here or there at Wembley instead of doing it right. The second there's a concerted effort to tap into football markets globally, the balance of power between traditional TV and streaming shifts.

(Appealing to a global market could also have huge benefits to a university's ability to attract international students.)

Tbh I’m shocked they folded NFL Europe, especially after Kurt Warner. Maybe it was timing, but I’d love to see if the XFL/NFL merged and went NFL Europe as a feeder and international market brand hybrid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Tbh I’m shocked they folded NFL Europe, especially after Kurt Warner. Maybe it was timing, but I’d love to see if the XFL/NFL merged and went NFL Europe as a feeder and international market brand hybrid.

I think the idea is that Europe doesn't want bad NFL football (sort of like how people here are going to support an English Premier League team before an MLS team).

But college would appeal to the old school footy types internationally IMO. It's all about community and the NFL doesn't have any of that. Those Sunday fish and chips dudes are gonna eat up Clemson's pet rock and stuff like that.

• Like 1