Training camp talk. Rumors, pictures, etc.

Gmen

A fun exercise is to take a look at the 7 NFL QBs to run the Chump Kelly offense and realize that he traded the only one who could actually pull it off.

• Foles  (14-4)
  • Vick (2-4)
  • Barkley (No starts, bad play)
  • Sanchez (4-6)
  • Bradford (6-7)
  • Kaep (1-10)
  • Gabbert (1-4)

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

A fun exercise is to take a look at the 7 NFL QBs to run the Chump Kelly offense and realize that he traded the only one who could actually pull it off.

• Foles  (14-4)
  • Vick (2-4)
  • Barkley (No starts, bad play)
  • Sanchez (4-6)
  • Bradford (6-7)
  • Kaep (1-10)
  • Gabbert (1-4)

I definitely think that Foles benefited from it being Kelly's first year in the league. The league was still in the process of adjusting to him.

Edit: But, yeah... not the greatest list of QBs right there.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

10 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:
10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

As if those OT haven't had a bad practice or two going up against the Eagles DL.

I mean, isn't he primarily going up against Derek Barnett and Josh Sweat?  Not exactly world beaters.

Josh Sweat actually took a step up last year and was decent and looks better this camp.

Barnett hasn't actually even practiced so far this camp. I forget what his injury has been.

Also, I'm not buying Dillard being 335 lbs like Nabbs said other Eagles players stated. Maybe he got up to that weight at some point in the offseason, but I doubt he's even 325 lbs. Maybe he's in the 315-320 range. You can tell just looking at photos of him next to other guys in practice that he's definitely not 335.

Dillard has a really smooth pass set and if he punches more and uses his hands better, then he can be hard to beat around the arc with speed, but his anchoring still concerns me. I think he may be a bit better in that regard compared to as a rookie, but my hope is he's solid there by year 3.

My biggest concern more than the anchoring with Dillard is just his mental make-up. He might be too soft.

I hope he shuts up the critics and plays really well, but I'm glad we brought in 2 OL in the draft and also got Peters on the team just in case.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, thebestever6 said:
22 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Sidney Jones has been such a disappointing pick.

I feel for you guys loved the pick at the time still don't hate it given how thin that 2017 class was. I mean the hits after jones are there but few and far between.

As far as Sidney Jones goes. Obviously his rookie year was a wash cause of the pre-draft injury and Achilles usually take like 2 years to fully recover from to get back to full athleticism and its not like Jones was ever an elite athlete. He had solid to good athleticism I would say.

He definitely lost confidence and we didn't have a good secondary coach or good veteran corners for him to learn from. He also just hasn't been able to stay healthy even after coming back from the Achilles. He hasn't even practiced through the first week and a half of camp. Today was the first day he was even in pads and I don't think he practiced in team drills. 

My hope at this point is he can stay healthy now and just make the roster and maybe contribute if someone misses time. Jones was supposed to compete with Avonte Maddox, but with him missing all of camp so far its basically Maddox's job now as he's had pretty sticky coverage from all reports. As we know the best ability is availability and Schwartz echoed that about Sidney in a press conference the other day.

Howie has some bad luck drafting Barnett was the consensus pick at 14 he's not really living up to draft status, Dillard is already being bashed locally but Howie was praised for leaping the Texans.

I talked about Andre Dillard in a post above this one if you want some info on that. I haven't really given up on him by any means. It's still too early for that and he showed some positive signs as a rookie when he was at LT like the game against Khalil Mack.

As far as Derek Barnett goes. I called that a bad pick at the time. His athleticism was always gonna limit his potential. I saw him coming out as maybe a 6-8 sack guy and that's what I think he is. He wasn't an awful pick, but he was never gonna live up to his top 15 status. He's more of a guy I would've selected somewhere in round 2. If we bring him back next year I don't think it will be on his 5th year option, but who knows. If he doesn't take another step this year, then I may be ready to move on from the 10 million we will owe him if we don't cut him before the new league year starts.

JJ came from Stanford who runs a prostyle offense, is a big wr and had a terrible rookie year.

People complain that they should have picked DK who's a freak of nature but had huge injury questions coming out.

Do you personally think DK would thrive with this training staff? I hear bad things about them.

This is gonna surprise you, but J.J. Arcega-Whiteside has proved to be one of the winners of camp so far. He missed the beginning days, but ever since he came back and started practicing he's been standing out like basically each day in a good way. His rookie year was an abomination, but also keep in mind he was trying to learn basically all the receiver spots and then DeSean went down and they were trying to use him a lot as the vertical option which isn't really his strong suit as he's a bigger bodied receiver. He also had a crap WR coach and was dealing with if I remember correctly was a foot injury that was hampering him and just was playing through it. He didn't really grasp the playbook well last year and was struggling to even line-up correctly. His confidence took a hit last year, because of all that and his play suffered. The first thing that stood out that made me open my eyes is when he got interviewed by the press and basically owned up to his rookie season and didn't make excuses and explained how he worked silently this offseason like 6 hours a day trying to get to where he knows he needs to be. He dropped like 8 lbs of fat I believe and not only looks leaner, but more spry/quick as well. He's never gonna be a burner, but he needed to be quicker in and out of his breaks and if dropping some weight helped him do that and he understands the playbook and can play with confidence he can definitely surprise this year as a replacement for Alshon Jeffery as the big bodied X receiver. Honestly Jeffery is gonna start the year on PUP most likely and not sure I really want him to come back if the rookies and JJAW are impressing in games like they have so far in camp.

Here are some tweets to give you some more idea of what I'm talking about.

As far as D.K. Metcalf goes and the training staff.... I don't know. We changed training staffs this offseason and brought in Ted Rath who was the Rams Director of Strength Training & Performance. The Rams have notably been one of the least injured teams in the league during McVay's tenure (perhaps the least?) and Rath was apart of that. The hope is he and the new training staff can help turn over a new leaf.

Obviously Metcalf is a nice player and Eagles fans during JJAW's rookie year were extremely disappointed we passed, but its not time to give up on JJAW.

Hope this helps give you some more background on these players.

I know I went a bit overboard with the info, but I kind of tend to do that sometimes.

• Like 3

Nobody should feel bad for the Eagles though......

I think our roster is better than most realize and better than most beat writers and Eagles fans (myself included) thought coming into camp. A LOT of guys have impressed. Still need to make sure we get some guys back we are being cautious with before week 1 and obviously we have to stay healthy which has been a big problem for us even dating back to the year we won the Super Bowl.

But, this Eagles team could have the talent when fully healthy to beat even the likes of the Chiefs, Ravens, Saints, etc.

They are being overlooked right now and have definite Super Bowl potential.

A bit of fantasy advice.... in dynasty if you can get Jalen Reagor I would highly advise doing so and if you are in redraft I would definitely take a look at him if his ADP is pretty low. You can thank me later.

• Like 1

JJAW was horrendous in year 1 but I will say a few things that could be in his favor:

First - He had no one to draw the D away from him after DJ got hurt in week 1 and Alshon spent most of the year mangled even when he did play.

• IF (big IF for DJ) DJ and Raegor are healthy for even 12 games then JJAW will get lots of open underneath opportunities.

Second - Being a rookie WR is tough. Guys like Metcalf and McLaurin are the exception.

• That does not excuse him being awful but a year 2 jump is expected for most WRs.

I'm not expecting much from him but I would not be surprised if he was decent this year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

As far as Sidney Jones goes. Obviously his rookie year was a wash cause of the pre-draft injury and Achilles usually take like 2 years to fully recover from to get back to full athleticism and its not like Jones was ever an elite athlete. He had solid to good athleticism I would say.

He definitely lost confidence and we didn't have a good secondary coach or good veteran corners for him to learn from. He also just hasn't been able to stay healthy even after coming back from the Achilles. He hasn't even practiced through the first week and a half of camp. Today was the first day he was even in pads and I don't think he practiced in team drills. 

My hope at this point is he can stay healthy now and just make the roster and maybe contribute if someone misses time. Jones was supposed to compete with Avonte Maddox, but with him missing all of camp so far its basically Maddox's job now as he's had pretty sticky coverage from all reports. As we know the best ability is availability and Schwartz echoed that about Sidney in a press conference the other day.

I talked about Andre Dillard in a post above this one if you want some info on that. I haven't really given up on him by any means. It's still too early for that and he showed some positive signs as a rookie when he was at LT like the game against Khalil Mack.

As far as Derek Barnett goes. I called that a bad pick at the time. His athleticism was always gonna limit his potential. I saw him coming out as maybe a 6-8 sack guy and that's what I think he is. He wasn't an awful pick, but he was never gonna live up to his top 15 status. He's more of a guy I would've selected somewhere in round 2. If we bring him back next year I don't think it will be on his 5th year option, but who knows. If he doesn't take another step this year, then I may be ready to move on from the 10 million we will owe him if we don't cut him before the new league year starts.

This is gonna surprise you, but J.J. Arcega-Whiteside has proved to be one of the winners of camp so far. He missed the beginning days, but ever since he came back and started practicing he's been standing out like basically each day in a good way. His rookie year was an abomination, but also keep in mind he was trying to learn basically all the receiver spots and then DeSean went down and they were trying to use him a lot as the vertical option which isn't really his strong suit as he's a bigger bodied receiver. He also had a crap WR coach and was dealing with if I remember correctly was a foot injury that was hampering him and just was playing through it. He didn't really grasp the playbook well last year and was struggling to even line-up correctly. His confidence took a hit last year, because of all that and his play suffered. The first thing that stood out that made me open my eyes is when he got interviewed by the press and basically owned up to his rookie season and didn't make excuses and explained how he worked silently this offseason like 6 hours a day trying to get to where he knows he needs to be. He dropped like 8 lbs of fat I believe and not only looks leaner, but more spry/quick as well. He's never gonna be a burner, but he needed to be quicker in and out of his breaks and if dropping some weight helped him do that and he understands the playbook and can play with confidence he can definitely surprise this year as a replacement for Alshon Jeffery as the big bodied X receiver. Honestly Jeffery is gonna start the year on PUP most likely and not sure I really want him to come back if the rookies and JJAW are impressing in games like they have so far in camp.

Here are some tweets to give you some more idea of what I'm talking about.

As far as D.K. Metcalf goes and the training staff.... I don't know. We changed training staffs this offseason and brought in Ted Rath who was the Rams Director of Strength Training & Performance. The Rams have notably been one of the least injured teams in the league during McVay's tenure (perhaps the least?) and Rath was apart of that. The hope is he and the new training staff can help turn over a new leaf.

Obviously Metcalf is a nice player and Eagles fans during JJAW's rookie year were extremely disappointed we passed, but its not time to give up on JJAW.

Hope this helps give you some more background on these players.

I know I went a bit overboard with the info, but I kind of tend to do that sometimes.

No man awesome post appreciate the insight JJ maybe a sleeper in fantasy for me now lol.

Wasn't trying to bash Dillard just echoing what I heard I do tend to agree it's overkill as of right now.

Did not know they upgraded the training staff either.

A guy on 975 said their oline as a whole is worrisome but I don't know if that's bc they're gonna have and elite dline ? Your thoughts that interior looks nasty with Cox, Jackson, and Hargreaves.

I think Howie is a top 5 Gm bc he knows what to value and that's the trenches you win in the trenches .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:
On 8/26/2020 at 2:02 AM, Oregon Ducks said:

Chip built their Super Bowl roster.

Stop talking about the Eagles. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Nope I literally did a breakdown of our key contributors that season at the time of winning the Super Bowl

Bdt9Q3J.png

Chip Kelly in 3 years drafted a whole 6 players who were actually key contributors to the team that season.

What really put us over the top was incredibly fortunate short term free agent signings over Pederson's first two seasons.

Only 9/36 (25%) were brought in during Kelly's 3 seasons as Head Coach. Which is pretty low all things considered. Chip did result in us getting Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz, but outside of that? Ehhhhh

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 7:11 AM, ET80 said:
On 8/26/2020 at 12:43 AM, thebestever6 said:

Dillard is already being bashed locally but Howie was praised for leaping the Texans.

Really? I thought they were high on Dillard. Is this Philly being Philly?

I think so. People were **** talking him during the off season out of no where because he struggled when he was put in at RT with no warning in the middle of a game despite having never played at RT before. He shut down Khalil Mack earlier in the season (as a rookie remember) 

He's been dealing with some day-to-day injuries in training camp so far. But that said, it does seem that he wasn't a steal in the draft and he was drafted in a pretty fair spot at... I think 21/22?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Nope I literally did a breakdown of our key contributors that season at the time of winning the Super Bowl

Bdt9Q3J.png

Chip Kelly in 3 years drafted a whole 6 players who were actually key contributors to the team that season.

What really put us over the top was incredibly fortunate short term free agent signings over Pederson's first two seasons.

Only 9/36 (25%) were brought in during Kelly's 3 seasons as Head Coach. Which is pretty low all things considered. Chip did result in us getting Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz, but outside of that? Ehhhhh

I like the effort, but no.... Chip doesn't get credit for Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz. That was a Howie Roseman draft.

Chip Kelly gets credit for the following drafted players:

2015 Philadelphia Eagles draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 20 Nelson Agholor  WR USC  
2 47 Eric Rowe  CB Utah  
3 84 Jordan Hicks  ILB Texas  
6 191 JaCorey Shepherd  CB Kansas Placed on IR
6 196 Randall Evans  CB Kansas St On practice squad
7 237 Brian Mihalik  DE Boston College  

Made roster    †   Pro Football Hall of Fame    *   Made at least one Pro Bowl during career

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I like the effort, but no.... Chip doesn't get credit for Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz. That was a Howie Roseman draft.

Chip Kelly gets credit for the following drafted players:

2015 Philadelphia Eagles draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 20 Nelson Agholor  WR USC  
2 47 Eric Rowe  CB Utah  
3 84 Jordan Hicks  ILB Texas  
6 191 JaCorey Shepherd  CB Kansas Placed on IR
6 196 Randall Evans  CB Kansas St On practice squad
7 237 Brian Mihalik  DE Boston College  

Made roster    †   Pro Football Hall of Fame    *   Made at least one Pro Bowl during career

Take the information as you will. I just broke down the HC tenure of players added to the team. 

13 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Can any Jets or Titans fans tell me how Kristian Fulton or Ashtyn Davis have looked?

Those were the 2 secondary players I was hoping for with our 2nd round pick before we took Hurts.

Man. I forgot that we passed on Fulton for Hurts..... 

This hurts.