Packers extend DT Kenny Clark (4 years, $70 M)

RaidersAreOne

NOT including Kenny Clark, the Packers have over $72 million allocated to the defense which is 6th most in the league and they still have a terrible run defense and barely finished 15th overall. Plus, they still have have to pay Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Aaron Jones, and David Bakhtiari. 

20 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

NOT including Kenny Clark, the Packers have over $72 million allocated to the defense which is 6th most in the league and they still have a terrible run defense and barely finished 15th overall. Plus, they still have have to pay Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Aaron Jones, and David Bakhtiari.

I would be really surprised if Jones and Jackson get paid. Signing Clark is important because it lets you tag Bakh if it comes to that.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I would be really surprised if Jones and Jackson get paid. Signing Clark is important because it lets you tag Bakh if it comes to that.

The Packers are banking ALOT on Dillon by letting both Jones and Williams go (who I think compliment each other very well). 

I liked Dillon before the draft just for the record. But IMO, Jones is much more versatile than Dillon is and Williams is a good short-yardage situational back. 

21 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

here i was worried about getting king and bakhtiari done and then i'm reminded they still have to pay JOSH JACKSON in 2 years 

You can try to downplay it all you want if it makes you feels better (or in this case try to ignore my initial point) but my point still stands.

The Packers have invested ALOT of money and draft capital into a defense that is still average and still giving up 300 rushing yards in a playoff game. That's not exactly a good return on investments. 

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You can try to downplay it all you want if it makes you feels better (or in this case try to ignore my initial point) but my point still stands.

The Packers have invested ALOT of money and draft capital into a defense that is still average and still giving up 300 rushing yards in a playoff game. That's not exactly a good return on investments. 

im playing man lol. josh jackson has been a non factor on this team since arriving. it'd be a shocking development if he's brought back when his deal runs up in 2 years. just humorous to see him included in a list of guys we "have to pay"

the point you were making isn't a debate, it's the reality. they paid a lot to the smiths and amos. and now clark. last year they weren't good stopping the run. nobody would refute that. if they were to not have invested in those players their defense would probably be the worst in the league as opposed to hovering around par last year in terms of overall defense. so the point you're making is valid, but also any argument saying the kenny clark, preston smith, za'darious, amos deals were bad, is false unless you're interested in debating just to debate. i think your intention was more so just to be negative rather than have any actual kind of discourse & the point your making wasn't some profound take, it was just a statement that 100% of people would agree with, so i dismissed the post. the only interesting part was the inclusion of josh jackson in the "have to pay" category. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

im playing man lol. josh jackson has been a non factor on this team since arriving. it'd be a shocking development if he's brought back when his deal runs up in 2 years. just humorous to see him included in a list of guys we "have to pay"

the point you were making isn't a debate, it's the reality. they paid a lot to the smiths and amos. and now clark. last year they weren't good stopping the run. nobody would refute that. if they were to not have invested in those players their defense would probably be the worst in the league as opposed to hovering around par last year in terms of overall defense. so the point you're making is valid, but also any argument saying the kenny clark, preston smith, za'darious, amos deals were bad, is false unless you're interested in debating just to debate. i think your intention was more so just to be negative rather than have any actual kind of discourse & the point your making wasn't some profound take, it was just a statement that 100% of people would agree with, so i dismissed the post. the only interesting part was the inclusion of josh jackson in the "have to pay" category. 

Ahh Ok, I thought you were just making a smart remark to derail my point all because you were a Packers fan and you didn't like that I was pointing out the negativity. Theye too many homers on this site to differentiate between them sometimes. 

Obviously that wasn't the case so that's my bad for making assumptions.

16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

As a Ravens fan, I loved it. Was hoping you guys would toss some picks our way for Matt Judon this offseason too, but it looks like you've skirted that one. 

Douglas is not Mac so thankfully we made that change because Mac probably would have.

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The Packers are banking ALOT on Dillon by letting both Jones and Williams go (who I think compliment each other very well). 

I liked Dillon before the draft just for the record. But IMO, Jones is much more versatile than Dillon is and Williams is a good short-yardage situational back. 

I agree.  I really like Jones and Williams as a combo.  But paying Jones after last season probably makes him a top 5 paid back, just going by how contracts seem to work in the NFL.  It comes down to making the choice to lose at least one of:  David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Corey Linsley, Kevin King, and just a little down the line Jaire Alexander.  It looks like Linsley will be on his way to a new team, he is a good player, but they just paid his primary back-up and drafted a center.  And they just paid Clark, which is one domino down.  So it likely comes down to a decision to lose one of: Bakhtiari, King, and Jones.  To me the easy choice is letting the running back go, and that was my opinion even before Dillon was drafted.  

As to your other post about the run defense, we go round and round in the Packers forum about that.  Pettine seems to just not care about stopping the run.  We run some kind of dime defense as our base.  We will most likely continue to run the 2 lineman 3 safety look.  The team really hasn't invested draft capital or free agency money on the defensive line to try to change any of that either.  On the positive side, the Packers were 14-4 last season.  So, that worked well enough 14 times.  On the negative side of that, three of those losses were absolute drubbings (Chargers and 49ers x2).  

And you will get push back on the Josh Jackson mention.  He has not worked out thus far.  The book isn't written, but the first few chapters are pretty rough.  He is currently fighting for the 3rd CB spot, and he is not the early favorite to win that battle, and he might just be 5th in the pecking order at CB.  At this point, I would be more surprised if they decide to pay Josh Jackson at the end of his contract than I would be that they release him before it expires.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 11:04 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

How will GB survive if they can't pay Josh Jackson?  He and his  less than 10% of the defensive snaps played in 2019

On 8/15/2020 at 11:04 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Alexander is a first round rookie.  Entering his 3rd year.  No rush to do him, since there is the 5'th year option.

King?  Yah, big year for him to prove he can stay healthy.

Jackson?  Big time disappointment.  

Jones?  Love the kid.  I'm going to hate seeing him go somewhere else, but such is the life of a RB.

Bakh.  Ain't going nowhere.

Tough choices to be made in the future, for sure.  But Clark is a huge piece, and he's still so young.  Great to get his deal done.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 2:52 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Josh Jackson hasn't broken 10% of the defensive snaps in a year since he was drafted.  He's more likely to be released than he is to get an extension.  Your point stands, your example was awful.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:04 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

by either raw #s or advanced metrics, im pretty sure king is average at absolute best. Jackson and jones are unlikely to get deals as well, so they really only have to pay two guys if theyre smart.