Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

Pettine had his faults and he surely had much more to work with than Capers, but Pettine is not a bad DC. Our defense is a big reason why we’ve won 28 games the last two seasons. But ultimately LaFleur’s looking for more than good. I don’t think Pettine’s time here should be looked at as a failure. That’s not to say he is above critique or doesn’t have his faults - because he did do some dumb, dumb things. I just think it would be a shame if anyone looks at Pettine as similar to Capers.

I agree that Pettine is not a bad DC, I think LaFleur's main issue with him was "situational" football decisions.  Like 3rd and short, having your cornerback 7 yards off the line of scrimmage so the opposing quarterback could make an easy throw for a first down, or only having 2 down lineman for 3rd and less than a yard so it was easy to run and get it.  Plus their were a few too many times were it seemed our defense was slow to get lined up.  In addition, our defense at times lacked aggressiveness or played without much passion, especially in the first half of the year.

I heard a few pundits (like Rex Ryan) hint that Pettine was good at game planning, but weaker in executing in-game decisions.  I thought our loss to the Buc's was due to poor execution in "situational" football.  A lot of little things went wrong that all added up.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

I thought our loss to the Buc's was due to poor execution in "situational" football.  A lot of little things went wrong that all added up.

Dont leave out lack of player execution.....or should I presume thats included in the "little things" portion?

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dont leave out lack of player execution.....or should I presume thats included in the "little things" portion?

Included.  The play at the end of the 2nd quarter is both poor scheme for the situation and poor execution by the players.  Not just #20, but at the top of the screen look at the deep safety #25, he should be shading the receivers bunched at the top, but stays positioned in the middle pre-snap and then hesitates when the play begins which makes Brady's decision easy.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I still have not seen the last play before the half. Like @Malfatron has not seen the Bostick onside kick, I will never see that play.  I will never watch it.  Ever.

Ahhhhh..but yes you will. In your dreams.

Your efforts to repress it will result in many visitations to your sub/unconscious mind - only - those visions will be comprised of only the very worst imaginings......worse than the reality you're desperate to avoid. Pleasant dreams :)

3 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Included.  The play at the end of the 2nd quarter is both poor scheme for the situation and poor execution by the players.  Not just #20, but at the top of the screen look at the deep safety #25, he should be shading the receivers bunched at the top, but stays positioned in the middle pre-snap and then hesitates when the play begins which makes Brady's decision easy.

25 strikes again eh? We wouldnt have been in that fix if he'd done his job previously.

4 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Whatever we do we have to replace #25 .. he's an accident waiting to happen.  If he catches the gift wrapped interception from Brady the Packers might be preparing for the Chiefs right now. 

I wasn't even upset when Redmond dropped the INT in real time. I was 100% sure the Bucs would punt. Even when the offense came back onto the field, I thought 100% they would just try to draw us offside and take a delay of game. That was a gutsy play call and we just absolutely **** the bed.