Going back to college

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, twslhs20 said:

Hey good for you finishing up. I went back in 16 when I was 29.

One of the best decisions I ever made.

Reach out if you want any advice on anything.

Never too late and thanks. I’m definitely not job-ready and been learning as much as I can. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:19 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

So I am going back to college this fall.  I'm 32 now, and haven't attended since the Spring of 2008 where I withdrew from all of my classes that semester.  Specifically, I am wondering if anyone else has done something similar- whether it was for a bachelor's or other program- and how many credits you took while working full-time and making the balancing act work.  I work 40 hours a week, with a job that actually has flexible hours and a boss who is supportive of this.  I also have some other responsibilities outside of work, but I can make it work for all of those as well.  I'm not married and without kids as well.  

As to why I am going back........all of my immediate family had college degrees.  I'd love to at least nail down my associates for my grandmothers sake, as I know she would want to see me get that and more.  I am pretty much capped at my current job- I can't move onto anything else without a four year degree, and as I look around for other jobs that I would be interested in with the skills I've acquired at my current job, they are asking for a degree, as well as experience.  But most of all, I really want to do it this time.  I'm working on conquering some other issues in my life, and I left college on a sour note.  I had a lot of pressure from my family beforehand, and I hate math and I let that really get to me.  I am still apprehensive about the math requirements but I am willing to put in the work for that.  

So let me know your thoughts and experiences.  I'm also willing to PM back and forth and discuss some more specifics.  

I worked full time, and went to school full time. A Lot of struggle and sacrifice. You appreciate it more in the end.

PM if you need any advice, tips, or tricks. I wasn't the best at math. I bough a online calc course from udemy to help me prep for the real thing. Best 10 bucks I ever spent.

@ramssuperbowl99 and others are great resources in math and science.

Make friends on day one. Introduce yourself. Build a network at university and here. That will go a long way when things get hard. They will get hard.

Edited by twslhs20
  • Like 1

I think the best thing about college was meeting all different kinds of people, seeing different perspectives, and helping me learn a lot more social skills.

The degree itself hasn’t really helped me. I’m in sales and make way more money than if i would’ve settled and taken a job in the field i got my degree in. 

I am all for getting a higher education. I just think kids aren’t taught that sometimes the debt you are taking on isn’t worth the potential income you are going to earn.

But i also know that money isn’t everything to  people and being able to do the job you love is worth it. 

I just wish i put in more effort in high school and cared more. I have 45k in student loans which is so minuscule to what i see in comparison, and that still feels like a lot for what i got out of it.

I like being in sales, i like the challenge, and the income potential, but i do wish i had a better college experience and worked harder for scholarships. The one semester i actually put forth any effort in college I was able to get onto the deans’s list which was cool, but i quickly realized that the grades in college don’t matter nearly as much as they did in High School.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I am all for getting a higher education. I just think kids aren’t taught that sometimes the debt you are taking on isn’t worth the potential income you are going to earn.

Fully agree. I wish I understood what was happening when I took my ~55k in loans. I swear I was told it was a fixed interest rate, but it ended up being adjustable -- not that I even fully understood that at that point in my life. Fortunately I've paid them off. Now we just need reform so society as a whole can benefit from higher education.

If anyone is thinking about going to college, I highly recommend joining the Air National Guard. Do your 4-6 years in any job, use the tuition assistance for free college (not GI Bill or Post 9/11), and then get out; or stay but that's a personal thing. Just make sure you check on your state's rules and understand the details.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:38 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Fully agree. I wish I understood what was happening when I took my ~55k in loans. I swear I was told it was a fixed interest rate, but it ended up being adjustable -- not that I even fully understood that at that point in my life. Fortunately I've paid them off. Now we just need reform so society as a whole can benefit from higher education.

If anyone is thinking about going to college, I highly recommend joining the Air National Guard. Do your 4-6 years in any job, use the tuition assistance for free college (not GI Bill or Post 9/11), and then get out; or stay but that's a personal thing. Just make sure you check on your state's rules and understand the details.

Since I went to college late, I didn’t need to take out debt, but I recommend this route for people as well. Except I’ll recommend the Air Force instead. Join the Air Force from 18-22, get a free college ride and perks for life. Air Force is pretty safe compared to other military branches. If I could start over at 18, this is what I would have done. Unfortunately not all of us have parents that can pay out education. 

For those thinking you will “lose” those four years, you will likely look back on time around 30 and wonder what the heck you did during those four years anyways even if you weren’t in the military. 

Edited by BayRaider

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, bigbadbuff said:

I think the best thing about college was meeting all different kinds of people, seeing different perspectives, and helping me learn a lot more social skills.

The degree itself hasn’t really helped me. I’m in sales and make way more money than if i would’ve settled and taken a job in the field i got my degree in. 

But i also know that money isn’t everything to  people and being able to do the job you love is worth it. 

I just wish i put in more effort in high school and cared more. I have 45k in student loans which is so minuscule to what i see in comparison, and that still feels like a lot for what i got out of it.

I like being in sales, i like the challenge, and the income potential, but i do wish i had a better college experience and worked harder for scholarships. The one semester i actually put forth any effort in college I was able to get onto the deans’s list which was cool, but i quickly realized that the grades in college don’t matter nearly as much as they did in High School.

College for me was filling up coke bottles with rum so I can drink and walk to frat parties (and avoid trash beer at frat parties), drinking way too much 3 times a week, hooking up with cute college girls, learning a little bit, and (the best of all) chilling with my roommates every day. Man, it was so much fun. Wish I could go back, but I'd assume it'd go a little different since I am now a 34 year old married man with a kid!

The one thing that caught me off guard after college were all the jobs requiring a 4 year degree, 40 years experience, and your first unborn child for a mid-level job. I thought I'd be able to make 45k right off the bat (small city cost of living), but it took me 7 years to get the 50k. I have a degree in Economics, so that probably played a role, although it is a good degree to have.

Through luck and willpower- I did find an awesome job w/ great benefits that pays well enough. I'm grateful to have a job I like a lot, but it was a journey getting here. 

On 8/23/2022 at 3:29 PM, bigbadbuff said:

Fortunately, i didn't even take on any debt my first go 'round with college getting my degree.  But i do still kinda wish i'd been there to tell myself to take it all a bit more seriously.

It wasn't even like i was some party fiend or something.  I just didn't really appreciate the experience the way i probably should have.  It was just kinda..."that's what you do after high school".  Like 4 years (actually 5 because transfer stuff) of High School Pt.2: The Sequel.  But where attendance felt optional at the time.  I blew off way too many classes because i didn't feel like getting out of bed in the morning.  lol.  Didn't really engage with clubs and activities and extra-curriculars the way i should have, or even really take the opportunity to actively expand my social circle the way i should have.  Just sorta cruised through it like it was a task to check off a list.  Didn't ever even really set in that i was spending a ton of money on it.

But at the same time, i think that's all maybe just the sort of thing some people (like myself) have to learn by experience.  Definitely grew a lot as a person over the course of it.  To the point that i have a very different approach going back.  A lot more acutely aware that it costs a bunch, and that i've chosen to be there now, rather than just feeling like something of an obligation.  It's also a very different style of school though.  A lot more engaging and direct.  That also probably matters.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, bigbadbuff said:

am all for getting a higher education. I just think kids aren’t taught that sometimes the debt you are taking on isn’t worth the potential income you are going to earn.

This is because schools and even a lot of parents (especially ones that didn’t go to college) don’t teach their kids that a lot of degrees aren’t worth the money. Most degrees aren’t. You should be majoring in a healthcare field or tech field or engineering field. The three highest paying and stable job markets. Majoring in Art or History for example is horrendous and people who did this had zero guidance. 

Edited by BayRaider

20 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is because schools and even a lot of parents (especially ones that didn’t go to college) don’t teach their kids that a lot of degrees aren’t worth the money. Most degrees aren’t. You should be majoring in a healthcare field or tech field or engineering field. The three highest paying and stable job markets. Majoring in Art or History for example is horrendous and people who did this had zero guidance. 

Yes and No. I get what you're saying to a degree, but a lot of it boils down to this:

The amount of debt that you're taking out should be in proportion for what your income will be in your perspective field.

Aside from that, history and political science is an outstanding major IF you are going into a field like law enforcement or going on to higher education/getting your next degree in something like law school

It's essentially the same with Psychology. Pretty awful for most people for undergraduate majors, but at the same point, a friend of mine went into law enforcement with a double major in criminal justice and psychology and now he's in profiling for law enforcement, almost ala Criminal Minds.

23 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I'm less cynical than you are. I think you should major in something you're passionate about, not just something because its there. Sure, not the most ideal degrees and the jobs are much fewer, but if I had a child who said "Hey I want to be a music major" I'm never going to not tell them to follow their passion. I'll say to them "Look Josh Jr. you can do whatever you want in this world, but with this major you're going to have to work extra hard because its super competitive. That said, you follow your dreams."

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yes and No. I get what you're saying to a degree, but a lot of it boils down to this:

The amount of debt that you're taking out should be in proportion for what your income will be in your perspective field.

Aside from that, history and political science is an outstanding major IF you are going into a field like law enforcement or going on to higher education/getting your next degree in something like law school

It's essentially the same with Psychology. Pretty awful for most people for undergraduate majors, but at the same point, a friend of mine went into law enforcement with a double major in criminal justice and psychology and now he's in profiling for law enforcement, almost ala Criminal Minds.

Totally 100000% agree with your post. There are times when these types of majors are worth it. Want to go to medical school or PA school? You can honestly major in anything you want. Law Enforcement or Lawyer? Political Science is great. However, as a standalone Bachelor degree, these degrees are not worth the money. 

As long as you have a plan and going for higher education program, then majoring in whatever is fine. If you’re getting just a Bachelors with no plan for anything else, I still think only the three fields I mentioned are worth majoring in. 

46 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I'm less cynical than you are. I think you should major in something you're passionate about, not just something because its there. Sure, not the most ideal degrees and the jobs are much fewer, but if I had a child who said "Hey I want to be a music major" I'm never going to not tell them to follow their passion. I'll say to them "Look Josh Jr. you can do whatever you want in this world, but with this major you're going to have to work extra hard because its super competitive. That said, you follow your dreams."

I definitely disagree with this advice. You are setting your kid up for total disaster. What does a music degree do for them? What career does that lead to? They would probably be working a minimum wage job somewhere, and being close to 60K in debt. “Follow your dreams” does NOT mean get a pointless degree where the debt is going to give them ungodly amounts of stress, because they chose a major where they can’t pay that debt off. Would you want that stress for your child? If they had plans for higher education after their music degree, and had a plan of action, then that’s different. But just getting a Bachelors in that is not worth it. If they want to “follow their dreams” in music, they certainly don’t need a degree to make music. 

Edited by BayRaider

18 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Yep, to me a passion major is entirely employable, but some of those people are inevitably going to have to find work outside of their field, which means taking a job that doesn't require a specific major. That means their first job is gaining that specialized training, so it's one extra step on the career ladder and a little less specificity about the industry they can work in. And after the first job, no one gives half a crap what you majored in unless there are professional certifications that require a degree. Not the end of the world by any stretch.

I'd encourage a college kid to major in their passion and a secondary skill they have aptitude for that would let them make money off of it.

Don't just major in music, major in music and sound engineering so you can get a job mastering people's music. Who knows, maybe that leads you into promotion, or maybe in 20 years you're designing cochlear implants that work better with treble or something. Or major in music, then go law school, maybe you can try and join an agency, get into licensing or copyright law, etc. etc.

This advice goes both ways - I was a Biochem major and didn't major in anything else or add to it meaningfully to differentiate myself. I would have had a big time leg up on the other 1000 people taking BioChem 101 with me in the job market if I had a background in data analytics, computer science (these apply for any passion major really), or philosophy for bioethics/public health jobs, etc.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99