Going back to college

I planned to get my Masters degree in my late 20’s but I already had a bunch of student loan debt and didn’t wanna take on 20k more. I was a poor student in college, so part of the desire to go back was for redemptive purposes. 

If I were to go back now, I’d bring a GoPro to record all the lectures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

After being away from college for almost 15 years, I have returned to community college to pursue computer networking.

So far this semester I've been very good. Midterms will tell me if I'm a phony or not.

Proud of you 💪💪

You got this Josh!

7 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

After being away from college for almost 15 years, I have returned to community college to pursue computer networking.

So far this semester I've been very good. Midterms will tell me if I'm a phony or not.

I've taken a couple of networking classes on my way to a software developer degree. They can be tough. Even if you don't do well on midterms, it doesn't mean you won't get it. Sometimes it takes not doing well to see what you need to work on. Just don't give up and work on your weaknesses.

I don't know your skill level or where you're at in classes. But here's a couple links that helped me in those courses:

Network Layers Explained - nothing new, but sometimes seeing it differently and in less technical terms helps me

Binary Game - helps with memorizing binary

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, BayRaider said:

I will say Computer Architecture is kicking my rear end though. But if I can get through Physics, Calculus, Java, and Discrete Math, then I can get through this damn class. 

I don't know why, but I couldn't really get summation down when I took discrete math. Now a year+ later after taking that class, I see the attached tweet and it clicks and I feel dumb for not making that connection sooner.

Summation.jpg

On 10/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

You’ll be surprised how much easier classes are when you’re older. That extra life experience goes a long way to.  You’ll do fine.

• Like 1

I'd only do college if I'm getting a free ride to be perfectly honest. It's just too damn expensive and a very risky investment even if you're getting a STEM degree. I funded my bachelors with Pell grants and out of pocket for the difference. Whenever I was offered loans I said hell no.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

Be sure to get your certs while doing this. Here's a roadmap for reference:

lni6tgghq0z21.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 6:20 PM, MKnight82 said:

You’ll be surprised how much easier classes are when you’re older. That extra life experience goes a long way to.  You’ll do fine.

Agreed. Also having real life expectations, deadlines, and stresses make the "issues" of being a student much easier than what they are when you're 19.

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Update: As of midterm grades, I'm a straight A student

Awesome! Congrats!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

Update: As of midterm grades, I'm a straight A student

As someone who finished their chemistry undergrad last year, you will continue to surprise yourself, with what you are capable of. Never lose that. It will keep you humble, and focused, in the tougher classes.

Keep grinding. You'll be fine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 5:13 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

I have been sitting in the waiting room for my evening class today for almost 15 minutes... I emailed the professor, and I don't know what else to do.

Do I just continue to sit and wait?

Didn't anyone teach you the 15 minute rule?