Peterson released

Slateman

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You said most talented. 

Im with Counselor. I harped on Gibson well before the draft. Most talented and explosive offensive weapon in the draft.

I dont even think its close. Love had a great year in college. Behind a great line that was experienced and gelling good as any in the nation. But compared to Gibson. Not close.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Next year is the biggest coin flip in nabbing a decent rb Ive ever seen. Seems every one in the top 30 are the same size, same style, same speed. A couple are REALLY going to have to impress to separate from the rest. Cause atm. Even if it was our top need. Im not wasting time till the 4th-5th to start drafting one because theyre all kinda the same right now. The difference in one looking better than another could be OL play and how well a team recruits. And gotta be able to separate that from true ability. Tough season judging these rbs.

Obviously what we do next year in the draft depends on how these young guys show this season at more positions than just RB. Same goes along the OL, at WR, TE, at the DB positions and LB too. 

56 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

At least they did it today to give teams 24 hours to think about signing him.

This was my thought. They could have kept him until tomorrow, when they’ll cut all the other guys who didn’t make the roster, but they got him out onto the market with a headstart on all the other veteran RBs who are going to get cut loose. That’s fairly meaningful — it gives every team a chance to consider him as an option at the position before finalizing their roster decisions overnight. 

21 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Wrong 

I think it’s going to be a competition between the two eventually but at the moment, Gibson is more healthy and not coming off an ACL tear so he’s the guy. I do think there’s a chance that Love is better long term but, I also believe in Gibson strongly. 

Love is a 4.35 guy, he and McCaffery are about the same size. They both weigh 205 pounds although McCaffery is an inch or two taller.

I would not count out Bryce Love being the better actual running back of the two long term when Love gets his confidence back in his knee again. Gibson is the better receiver of the two though for sure.

I really love the potential of both guys though, and I’m a believer in McKissic too. I think we have a good group of young backs.

Edited by turtle28

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im with Counselor. I harped on Gibson well before the draft. Most talented and explosive offensive weapon in the draft.

I dont even think its close. Love had a great year in college. Behind a great line that was experienced and gelling good as any in the nation. But compared to Gibson. Not close.

He touched the ball 77 times at Memphis . How can you even begin to make this kind of statement off of that little production? 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He touched the ball 77 times at Memphis . How can you even begin to make this kind of statement off of that little production? 

I don’t know how we can answer the question yet and that’s my final answer Regis. I find it entirely possible that either guy ends up being the better of the two, I’m happy we have both and McKissic. 

Also one thing you have to consider is when he touched the ball, he got an insane amount of yards per touch. So, he didn’t have a lot of couches bc he didn’t need them, he got the ball and scored or nearly scored when he got the ball.

So 77 touches for Gibson yes, but 19 yards per catch, 11.2 yards per rush & 14 TDs on 77 touches, that’s impressive as well.

Edited by turtle28

No bruiser!!!!!!!. Ok now who will be the short yardage back. I am concern and uncertain about this move and one has to ponder what type of personnel packages we will display on short yardage downs. Yes I get it, as to why Peterson was release (youth movement) but to reiterate WHO WILL BE THE SHORTAGE BACK?  This is a clear indication of the direction our OFF is heading in. I remember reading a tweet about Turner using  a lot 2 back set with Gibson and Mckissic in the backfield. One of them may move to the slot. I see a lot of wildcat and jet sweeps. Obviously Turner likes versatility. The running backs will be used heavily to make up for the shortage of talent at the WR and TE position. That's good. However it will be interesting to see what our short yardage personnel look like especially with the unsettle OL. 

Edited by 4209

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s going to be a competition between the two eventually but at the moment, Gibson is more healthy and not coming off an ACL tear so he’s the guy. I do think there’s a chance that Love is better long term but, I also believe in Gibson strongly. 

Love is a 4.35 guy, he and McCaffery are about the same size. They both weigh 205 pounds although McCaffery is an inch or two taller.

I would not count out Bryce Love being the better actual running back of the two long term when Love gets his confidence back in his knee again. Gibson is the better receiver of the two though for sure.

I really love the potential of both guys though, and I’m a believer in McKissic too. I think we have a good group of young backs.

When did he run the 4.35?

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I agree with this.  While Gibson has very high potential, I think he is a big question mark.  I think expecting him to be a starting RB in the nfl with so little college experience is a big ask.  He has a lot of development to do.  Luckily the RB position is one where the learning curve is flatter, however if he is going to be effective as a receiver he likely has a long way to go in the route running department.  And we can't forget the blocking component of playing RB is a very important nuance that takes experience. 

So I think Gibson is phased in with < 10 touches a game on offense and more will be added throughout the season.

I think Love and McKissic will step in here primarily.  If Love is healthy he could blow everyone away.  He is a real top talent with the numbers to prove it.  I believe he performed equitably to mccaffrey in the same system as a running back.  Obviously, mccaffrey is and was far and away a better receiver.  But that still says something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4209 said:

No bruiser!!!!!!!. Ok now who will be the short yardage back. I am concern and uncertain about this move and one has to ponder what type of personnel packages we will display on short yardage downs. Yes I get it, as to why Peterson was release (youth movement) but to reiterate WHO WILL BE THE SHORTAGE BACK?  This is a clear indication of the direction our OFF is heading in. I remember reading a tweet about Turner using  a lot 2 back set with Gibson and Mckissic in the backfield. One of them may move to the slot. I see a lot of wildcat and jet sweeps. Obviously Turner likes versatility. The running backs will be used heavily to make up for the shortage of talent at the WR and TE position. That's good. However it will be interesting to see what our short yardage personnel look like. 

Gibson weighs 220 pounds, Barber weighs 225 pounds. 

Gibson and Peterson are the same size, Barber weighs 5 more pounds than Peterson did.

I agree on the rest of your post about Gibson/JD being moved around and may play in the slot a lot when we go 3 wide w/ S.Sims & Terry on the outside.