Peterson released

Slateman

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They should be actively shopping Kerrigan too.  

You are probably right, but honestly I am too much of a kerrigan fan to get on board with that :)  

We should cut Alex Smith too by that logic.

One of my concerns about Rivera is he needs to be a little more resource aware or rather cap conscious.  He knew the offense he was bringing in, why on earth did he resign peterson?  Or fine, then make an effort to hold and trade him to get something back.  Same thing with putting off extending a guy like Scherff or signing all these guys to one year deals, it is just going to cost us more money in the long term.  I hope this is just his "year one" way of doing things.  I am certainly willing to give him a pass if that is the plan.

I have a hard time feeling too upset about this. 

I loved watching AD run the ball while he was here — he is a true great, and we haven’t had a ton of greatness around these parts over the last 3 decades or so. He exceeded my expectations (both seasons) with his physical gifts and, even more importantly, his mental strength. Just a tough, tenacious, relentless player. I loved watching him. 

That said...he’s a RB. They’re fungible. At any given time, there might be 15ish RBs in the league who are on the elite/very good tiers and who are so good that they’ll give you production that is substantially and meaningfully better than an average/solid RB could do under the same circumstances. AD was one of those guys for the better part of a decade, but I don’t think he is on that level anymore. Replacing him with other capable backs is not going to kill us. 

To me, this news is actually more on the “exciting” side, because I think it may speak to what they’re seeing in Antonio Gibson. I don’t know that they would have cut AD unless they intended for Gibson to have a very big role right out of the gate — and that’s hugely exciting news to me. If he’s looking that appealing to them in his first camp, with virtually no experience up to this point, I’m sitting here thinking maybe there’s a real chance he might prove to be one of those top 15 elite RBs himself one day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

We're all talking Gibson, but to me, this sets up the sneaky JD McKissic big year play. (by big year I mean something like 700/400)

I think it’s more likely that McKissic’s -#s end up like what Chris Thompson’s was while in DC and Gibson goes over 1000 yds rushing with a good number of receptions as well.

Gibson: 1100 yds, 7 TDs rushing/60 recs, 500 yds, 3 TDs receiving 

McKissic: 400 yds, 3 TDs rushing/40 recs, 350 yds, 2 TDs receiving 

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s more likely that McKissic’s -#s end up like what Chris Thompson’s was while in DC and Gibson goes over 1000 yds rushing with a good number of receptions as well.

Gibson: 1100 yds, 7 TDs rushing/500 yds, 3 TDs receiving 

McKissic: 400 yds, 3 TDs rushing/400 yds, 2 TDs receiving 

That's not too far from what I predicted for JD. Just a handful more receiving yards. I'd be floored if Gibson rushes for over 1,000, but maybe.

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I have a hard time feeling too upset about this. 

I loved watching AD run the ball while he was here — he is a true great, and we haven’t had a ton of greatness around these parts over the last 3 decades or so. He exceeded my expectations (both seasons) with his physical gifts and, even more importantly, his mental strength. Just a tough, tenacious, relentless player. I loved watching him. 

That said...he’s a RB. They’re fungible. At any given time, there might be 15ish RBs in the league who are on the elite/very good tiers and who are so good that they’ll give you production that is substantially and meaningfully better than an average/solid RB could do under the same circumstances. AD was one of those guys for the better part of a decade, but I don’t think he is on that level anymore. Replacing him with other capable backs is not going to kill us. 

To me, this news is actually more on the “exciting” side, because I think it may speak to what they’re seeing in Antonio Gibson. I don’t know that they would have cut AD unless they intended for Gibson to have a very big role right out of the gate — and that’s hugely exciting news to me. If he’s looking that appealing to them in his first camp, with virtually no experience up to this point, I’m sitting here thinking maybe there’s a real chance he might prove to be one of those top 15 elite RBs himself one day. 

100% agree

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

That's not too far from what I predicted for JD. Just a handful more receiving yards. I'd be floored if Gibson rushes for over 1,000, but maybe.

True, the way you portrayed it to me though was more like McKissic may actually be the starter or get about the same about of carries as Gibson if he’s going to get 700 yards rushing. 

I think McKissic will get a lot of playing time but it will be more like CT playing time & that many carries, 100 at the most. 

I think it’s going to be pretty clear that Gibson is the #1 back and I think he’s going to get a ton of touches, like 50-60 recs & over 200 carries.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True, the way you portrayed it to me though was more like McKissic may actually be the starter or get about the same about of carries as Gibson if he’s going to get 700 yards rushing. 

I think McKissic will get a lot of playing time but it will be more like CT playing time & that many carries, 100 at the most. 

I think it’s going to be pretty clear that Gibson is the #1 back and I think he’s going to get a ton of touches, like 50-60 recs & over 200 carries.

I don't know who starts. I was pushing a committee / series rotation. And that's my fault i wasn't clear on my numbers - JD for 700 RECEIVING and 400 RUSHING. 

51 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't know who starts. I was pushing a committee / series rotation. And that's my fault i wasn't clear on my numbers - JD for 700 RECEIVING and 400 RUSHING. 

Ahh ok, ok. Yeah, that makes more sense, I got ya now. I think McKissic gets less receiving yards than that - Curtis Samuel had 627 receiving yards last year for the Panthers as their slot WR. I think that Steven Sims will have around 700 yards receiving like Curtis Samuel did last year - maybe 800 for S. Sims.

So, I’m not sure that McKissic will get as many receiving yards as our #2 WR. I think it’s more likely 400-500 yards receiving for McKissic like what we used to get from CT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Bryce Love is the most talented back on the roster. Gibson could end up being really good but his production in college was so limited that it’s weird he’s going to be the starting back for an NFL team his rookie year. 

I don’t know who will be better to be honest.  With Love I think it depends on how much confidence he has in his knee. When Love gets back to 100% confident with his knee, you very well could be right that Love will be the #1 back but at the same time, they have been raving about Antonio Gibson since they got him and as @HTTRDynasty reminded us Scott Turner was writing up plays for Gibson and what he’d like to do with him after the senior bowl and before the draft.

From what I heard of Love from some of the beat reporters was that Love had somewhat hit a wall during training camp and wasn’t wowing as much as Gibson. I think Love gets his touches and works his way back to being what he once was but at this point I’d think Love is more of a change of pace guy until he builds up to having 100% confidence in his knee again.

Edited by turtle28

17 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

because, we need to find out what we have going into next years draft. If Peterson ate up 60% of the carries it will be a lot harder to judge.

Next year is the biggest coin flip in nabbing a decent rb Ive ever seen. Seems every one in the top 30 are the same size, same style, same speed. A couple are REALLY going to have to impress to separate from the rest. Cause atm. Even if it was our top need. Im not wasting time till the 4th-5th to start drafting one because theyre all kinda the same right now. The difference in one looking better than another could be OL play and how well a team recruits. And gotta be able to separate that from true ability. Tough season judging these rbs.

• Like 1