How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Mayock needs to have a solid draft, and his 2019 draft needs to show progression. Ferrell and Mullen need to have very solid years. Abram would be nice too... but not counting on it: 

True indeed, we'll need both of them to bring it and progress in order to make the playoffs. Alot of Clemson products, it makes me wonder where we'll go with the pick this year from a school stand point.

1 hour ago, KlenlyKenny said:

True indeed, we'll need both of them to bring it and progress in order to make the playoffs. Alot of Clemson products, it makes me wonder where we'll go with the pick this year from a school stand point.

One of the most disappointing things for me about the 2020 season is that the 2019 draft class showed so much promise as rookies and then kind of plateaued in year two. I still have some faith in our 2020 class as well though. I think Ruggs/Edwards can both be good players, Arnette can probably be an average CB either outside or in the slot, Simpson may become a starter, Robertson has some potetial, and Muse may become our special teams war daddy. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Mayock needs to have a solid draft, and his 2019 draft needs to show progression. Ferrell and Mullen need to have very solid years. Abram would be nice too... but not counting on it: 

and free agency. last two free agency classes have sucked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

One of the most disappointing things for me about the 2020 season is that the 2019 draft class showed so much promise as rookies and then kind of plateaued in year two. I still have some faith in our 2020 class as well though. I think Ruggs/Edwards can both be good players, Arnette can probably be an average CB either outside or in the slot, Simpson may become a starter, Robertson has some potetial, and Muse may become our special teams war daddy. 

Completely agree, the 2020 class I'm still excited for. I was ready to see Muse play, he's got good physical traits. I like Ruggs and Edwards too, nice young combo. That first game against Carolina had me excited I was hoping Ruggs kept that level of play for the year.  

26 minutes ago, KlenlyKenny said:

Completely agree, the 2020 class I'm still excited for. I was ready to see Muse play, he's got good physical traits. I like Ruggs and Edwards too, nice young combo. That first game against Carolina had me excited I was hoping Ruggs kept that level of play for the year.  

I honestly think Ruggs was banged up for most of the season and Gruden did a pretty terrible job of getting him involved in the offense on plays other than 30 yard bombs down field. Edwards was also banged up for most of the year but looked good against the Broncos. Those two building chemistry with Carr during OTA's, training camp, and preseason will be huge. They both have a year in the system under their belt and Carr has always been a guy that throws to WR's he trusts/has chemistry with. 

Muse is definitely a high level athlete but he's pretty stiff on the field. Would be nice to get something out of him and/or Javin White at LB next season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Perhaps some players were more affected by no off-season than others. But I understand where you're coming from

13 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Perhaps some players were more affected by no off-season than others. 

Agreed. Gruden/Carr have admitted that his system is extremely complex and players on our defense said that Guenther's scheme was so complicated that a lot of guys didn't even know what they wre supposed to do on a lot of plays.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

and free agency. last two free agency classes have sucked

Not what anyone was saying at the time. Everyone thought post FA last year the defense would massively improve because they finally addressed the LBs and DT. Result... worst defense in franchise history.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Gruden/Carr have admitted that his system is extremely complex and players on our defense said that Guenther's scheme was so complicated that a lot of guys didn't even know what they wre supposed to do on a lot of plays.

You're being very liberal here because of comments from Will Compton.  Players couldn't cover, couldn't tackle, couldn't get off blocks, etc. That's the players, not the complex scheme. They literally sucked at the basics. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're being very liberal here because of comments from Will Compton.  Players couldn't cover, couldn't tackle, couldn't get off blocks, etc. That's the players, not the complex scheme. They literally sucked at the basics. 

It wasn't Compton, it was someone on the team this year. Ted Nguyen touched on it during a podcast, he said the Raiders had like 40+ audibles on 3rd down alone.   

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah. 

The scheming wasn't great, but guys didn't look like NFL players. Play design only does  so much. When Abram leaves his assignment to blitz from 30 yards deep, that's him not beig good at the basics of his position. Poor coaching in general maybe, but not a scheme issue. D-line getting obliterated, that's the players not being very good. No pass rush? Sure, our lack of blitzing at times didn't help much, but we couldn't shed blocks to save our lives anyway. To be fair, blitzing was doing little more than removing a guy from coverage. 

The perfect scheme couldn't mask the level of bad fundamentals we displayed. A scheme change isn't fixing those problems. I mean, what, are we going to deploy a 3-5-5 so Abram doesn't leave a coverage duty to run half way back down the field? Does a high man scheme make Harris and Leavitt NFL caliber players? Coaching in general was bad, but the personnel was equally as bad. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It wasn't Compton, it was someone on the team this year. Ted Nguyen touched on it during a podcast, he said the Raiders had like 40+ audibles on 3rd down alone.   

That may be true, but it doesn't negate the lack of fundamentals displayed. 

Gruden''s offense is notoriously complex. Probably too complex. But our guys managed. They probably could've looked even better (ie: Carr going something like 4500, 35-12) if not for some of the ridiculous calls and designs. Either way, we still looked decent because our offensive players are talented enough to work with what they've got. 

I can't say the same for the defense, because most of them just aren't talented enough to play the basics correctly.

Good players can get bogged down by complex schemes. Bad players don't just get bogged down and look labored, they miss tackles, abandon coverage, take bad angles, and can't get off of blocks. I think that's really the difference. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Poor coaching in general maybe, but not a scheme issue. D-line getting obliterated, that's the players not being very good. No pass rush?

That's one of the things that surprised me the most about last season. Our DL had 32 sacks in 2019 and we ranked 8th against the run. We fired Buckner so that we could bring in Gruden's buddy and supposed "DL guru" in Rod and our defensive line took a major step back. In 2020 we only had 21 sacks and ranked 24th against the run. 

You'd expect that with a "better" defensive line coach we'd see some improvement especially because a lot of the guys that played on our DL in 2019 such as Ferrell, Crosby, Hurst, etc. were young guys that you'd expect to take at least a small leap forward. Not to mention we spent a lot of money to bring in Nassib, Collins, Littleton, and Kwit yet our run defense and pass rush took a major step back. 

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Bad players don't just get bogged down and look labored, they miss tackles, abandon coverage, take bad angles, and can't get off of blocks. I think that's really the difference. 

Arnette covering the flat and leaving his man wide open 40 yards down the field in a prevent situation against the Dolphins was one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life. 

• Like 1