2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Maybe a team like San Fran is willing to part with a mid rounder to go up just a few spots, as they did last year for Kinlaw. Some teams like to let the draft come to them, others aggressively pursue specific targets. Different strokes for different FOs.

With the roster as it currently is, it just seems way too obvious that we would/should take Surtain at 10, even over a month out, so if we actually do want him, it seems prudent to me to try and send out signals in other directions.

Right, so to come full circle on this...

I just don't really see someone making that move for Surtain. SF made the move for Kinlaw in a draft where DT was extremely shallow. I know you can't rule it out, but I think the greater danger is someone already picking in the top-10 who can't figure out a good trade deal to bail.

To your point, though, it's always wiser to be opaque.

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Oh, no doubt. Surtain is as refined a cover CB as you can get. He and Penei Sewell are two of the safest picks in the entire draft. I simply fear that people will think they’ll get more from Surtain than what he’s really going to provide. He’s a guy who won’t give up completions, but he isn’t a guy who will force turnovers. I think it’ll be a miracle if he gets 2 INTs a year. 

I don’t think Surtain has brick hands like Byron Jones does. I mean, the football would hit Byron in the head multiple times and he couldn’t catch it. I’m still happy the team let him go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Even after signing Fuller and Darby?

Yeah. With his numbers and Farley opting for back surgery, Surtain is the clear cut #1 CB in the draft. It just seems too good to be true for him to fall to us at 10. 

I can see Denver taking him since Fuller is on a 1 yr. deal. Surtain is probably the BPA at 9. 

Edited by Tony7188

44 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Yeah. With his numbers and Farley opting for back surgery, Surtain is the clear cut #1 CB in the draft. It just seems too good to be true for him to fall to us at 10. 

I can see Denver taking him since Fuller is on a 1 yr. deal. Surtain is probably the BPA at 9. 

Maybe, but if they are the #1 threat for Surtain, I’m not that worried. Seems to me you make moves like that in FA because you want to go a different direction in the draft.

I’m a guy who really likes his WRs to be able to line up anywhere, I don’t really care for the WR that’s limited to the slot. BUT, this dude Rondale Moore is growing on me. If we traded down and landed an extra 2nd I’d love to add this kid to the offense. Kid is electric

I liked Byron but did not think he was a elite CB. HE was a reliable starter and that was about it. I do think Surtain or Farely have a much higher ceiling and can be elite. so yeah saying they are as good as year 4 Byron is right but year 4 Byron is a good as you are going to get with Byron, he hasn't exactly tore it up with Miami sense signing a huge deal (Jones highest pd CB in football this year, drops to 6th next two years. I put him maybe top 15 at tops).  This is why I still think it was crazy that so many on here complained about not signing Byron, HE GOT CRAZY MONEY...  

2 minutes ago, quiller said:

I liked Byron but did not think he was a elite CB. HE was a reliable starter and that was about it. I do think Surtain or Farely have a much higher ceiling and can be elite. so yeah saying they are as good as year 4 Byron is right but year 4 Byron is a good as you are going to get with Byron, he hasn't exactly tore it up with Miami sense signing a huge deal (Jones highest pd CB in football this year, drops to 6th next two years. I put him maybe top 15 at tops).  This is why I still think it was crazy that so many on here complained about not signing Byron, HE GOT CRAZY MONEY...  

They could’ve extended him for much less than he got from Miami after 2017 or 2018, or tagged him after 2019 had they taken care of Dak that summer. No need to cape for the FO on contract decisions the last ~24 months, they have repeatedly blown it.

8 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

They could’ve extended him for much less than he got from Miami after 2017 or 2018, or tagged him after 2019 had they taken care of Dak that summer. No need to cape for the FO on contract decisions the last ~24 months, they have repeatedly blown it.

If you extend him in 17 or 18 you’re locking yourself into a career mediocre tweener DB. We would’ve all complained about that. Kindve hard to extend him before a position switch Not knowing what you’re gonna get. Granted he then got moved to his proper position at CB and priced himself out of Dallas. Another failed early extension was Crawford. He had a decent year in his 2nd or 3rd year and they pounced on signing him to save a couple bucks. Turned out to be a horrible contract that we finally got out of. So to me it’s a double edge sword, and you just have to guess to extend the right player at the right time. You could buy before the boom and laugh all the way to the bank while you underpay a stud, or you you buy before the boom and get a dud and regret overpaying a bum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

If you extend him in 17 or 18 you’re locking yourself into a career mediocre tweener DB. We would’ve all complained about that. Kindve hard to extend him before a position switch Not knowing what you’re gonna get. Granted he then got moved to his proper position at CB and priced himself out of Dallas. Another failed early extension was Crawford. He had a decent year in his 2nd or 3rd year and they pounced on signing him to save a couple bucks. Turned out to be a horrible contract that we finally got out of. So to me it’s a double edge sword, and you just have to guess to extend the right player at the right time. You could buy before the boom and laugh all the way to the bank while you underpay a stud, or you you buy before the boom and get a dud and regret overpaying a bum.

Byron was a 2nd-Team All-Pro CB in 2018. It was obvious based on the preseason that he was in for a hell of a year, so I'm guessing anyone who watched him could see it in camp too. So no, actually, paying in the summer of '18 or at any point during or after that season would've been shrewd, not jumping the gun. The CB position is a lot more important than...whatever Tyrone Crawford did.

To the bold- what about our front office, that basically sits out free agency every year and literally travels to the Bahamas, makes you think they care about our complaints? That's a bogus reason not to pay Byron. It had nothing to do with them whiffing on Crawford, either, they just haven't paid any DBs meaningful money since Brandon Carr in 2012, and they're barely a .500 team since letting the whole secondary walk in 2017.

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Byron was a 2nd-Team All-Pro CB in 2018. It was obvious based on the preseason that he was in for a hell of a year, so I'm guessing anyone who watched him could see it in camp too. So no, actually, paying in the summer of '18 or at any point during or after that season would've been shrewd, not jumping the gun. The CB position is a lot more important than...whatever Tyrone Crawford did.

I'd be really curious to know the inner workings of it, but I definitely always had the impression that Byron wasn't eager to sign an extension. That man is no dummy. I think he realized where his trajectory was, and had no interest in signing before he could demand some generational wealth.

6 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I'd be really curious to know the inner workings of it, but I definitely always had the impression that Byron wasn't eager to sign an extension. That man is no dummy. I think he realized where his trajectory was, and had no interest in signing before he could demand some generational wealth.

That may be true. It’s also been stated that we were planning to decline his 5th year option until Kris Richard went to bat for him, so, I’m dubious we ever made a serious offer to extend him. You may have a point though, since whew boy did Miami pony up for his services.

Edited by matt79511

. What a huge game changer it is to our draft board to have this news come out about Farely. NOT only does that take Farely off our board at 10 but I also feel it means Surtain will not last to 10 anymore.

IN my mind then if no Surtain I would really really love us trading down so we are in better position to get CB. I do not want to take a flyer on Farely at 44 and he might not even be there either.