What movie are you watching?

Forge

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Super Troopers the way a lot of people are.  Thought it was kinda funny. 

I don't know how well the second Super Troopers was received, but I thought it was terrible.  It was unwatchable.  Really, really, really bad.  How do people think that stuff is funny? 

I think most people agree with you.  It was somehow worse than Dumb and Dumber 2, Zoolander 2, and Anchorman 2.  Painfully unfunny.

36 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

I think most people agree with you.  It was somehow worse than Dumb and Dumber 2, Zoolander 2, and Anchorman 2.  Painfully unfunny.

The first super troopers was great. I admit the second was bad but dumb and dumber 2 was just awful.

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

The first super troopers was great. I admit the second was bad but dumb and dumber 2 was just awful.

I feel I should mention that I really liked the first one, Club Dread, Beerfest, and even the Slammin Salmon.  I expected SP2 to be pretty good and expected D&D2 to suck so that could have affected my experience.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Super Troopers the way a lot of people are.  Thought it was kinda funny.

Opening scene is the best part of the movie.  Hilariously rewatchable.

I didn't even bother with the sequel.

• Like 1

I also watched Blockers based on somebody here saying it was the funniest comedy they've seen in years.  It's further proof that comedy is dead in Hollywood.  I don't think there has ever been a decade with worse comedies throughout film history. 

Comedies literally rely on absurd vulgarities and showing butts and penises and putting things into butts and jokes about homophobia. 

I think the last legitimately funny comedy was The Hangover, and that was ruined by three repetitive sequels and it doesn't hold up nearly as well on second or third viewings.  The last comedy classic I think (and I hope I'm wrong) has been Hot Fuzz. 

What We Do in the Shadows was hilarious, but I've only seen it once.  Hopefully that holds up.  It also wasn't a major release. 
This Is The End was pretty damn funny, but it completely falls apart in the final act and it's not as funny on second view. 
Tucker and Dale vs Evil probably shouldn't count since it wasn't a major release. 

Compare that to comedies of the 90's.

Dumb and Dumber, The Big Lebowski, There's Something About Mary, Office Space, Ace Ventura, Tommy Boy, Happy Gilmore, Kingpin, The Full Monty, Galaxy Quest... Those are just the ones off the top of my head.  Go back to the 80's and the 70's and they're even more classic. 

Comedy is dead.  Blockers was a terrible movie not even worth watching for free. 

• Like 1

Watched Mortal Engines.

The world is amazing, though not well defined in the movie, but the story is pretty poorly done, too many tropes forced together, plus no character development, some poor acting. Wish it had been a good movie, because I want to see more from that world, but ideally something good and something where they developed the characters, but that's YA for you.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I watched Halloween 2018 and I feel like it was better than the original.  

Strongly, strongly disagree.  But I agree with your view on comedies and would assert that modern horror flicks are in a similar state.  

2 hours ago, Nazgul said:

I've seen Pokemon: Detective Pikachu and Aladdin over the past few days and was pleased. I enjoyed them both.
You all gotta learn to just enjoy things.

I loved Aladdin, it made some changes that I’m ok with and was just a good time. People take some movies way to serious.

• Like 1

Watched Captain marvel ...

Meh. Not one of my favorite marvel movies. A little hokey, I thought, and it dear God, the "this movie takes place in the 90! You can tell because of all of the awesome 90s references we included" was just too much. 

Also Shazam. Solid. Laughed enough, which is good. Zachary Levi was perfect casting as well. It honestly want that far off from his Chuck character lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

I loved Aladdin, it made some changes that I’m ok with and was just a good time. People take some movies way to serious.

I agree on both fronts. It was a great, entertaining movie. Loved all of the songs, too. Especially the new one, "Speechless."