What movie are you watching?

Forge

The Little Mermaid remake - it was fine for the first 20 minutes for the nostalgia but I lost interest very quickly. My wife liked McCarthy in the villain role, but it did nothing for me. The woman that played Ariel (name is slipping my mind) can freaking sing though. 

Love and Monsters - this wasn't bad! A little by the books, but overall worth the watch. 

On 1/11/2024 at 9:29 AM, THE DUKE said:

no-hard-feelings-jennifer-lawrence-andre

No Hard Feelings

It was.....ok.  The dramatic portion which was most of the second half to make the premise work was much better than most of the attempted comedy.  Jennifer Lawrence just really didn't seem to feel right for the comedy, but she shined in the dramatic parts.  I appreciate she made the attempt, but she's better suited staying in her lane of more dramatic roles.  I'd watch it again, probably, but won't any time in the near future.

This was such a weirdly paced movie.  It's like someone pulled the handbrake halfway through and it turned into a completely different thing.  I didn't hate it, but i also didn't really understand it.  Or even what it was supposed to be.

15 hours ago, MacReady said:

I love Avatar, but it’s just not the same without that hard R.

Avatar still has his excellent pacing. Dialogue took a hit a little bit, but Cameron is still an excellent storyteller.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that i still haven't even made it through the first Avatar.  Literally every time i try, i just fall asleep like 20 minutes in.

I need to actually start using it as a sleep aid more probably.  I want to see what all the fuss is about, but it's just soooooo boring to me.

I am going to try to go a full week without watching horror, sci fi, fantasy or Western.

It’s going to be tough. 7 movies in a row without a horror or sci fi or fantasy element as the focal point.

Tonight it’s The Blues Brothers. One of only 4 musicals I’ve ever liked.

Edit: Action movies don’t count either unless it’s a true story or true adjacent story. Die Hard would not count, but something like Lone Survivor would count.

Edited by MacReady
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MacReady said:

I am going to try to go a full week without watching horror, sci fi, fantasy or Western.

It’s going to be tough. 7 movies in a row without a horror or sci fi or fantasy element as the focal point.

Tonight it’s The Blues Brothers. One of only 4 musicals I’ve ever liked.

Edit: Action movies don’t count either unless it’s a true story or true adjacent story. Die Hard would not count, but something like Lone Survivor would count.

great movie.

What are the other musicals you have liked?

Grease

Little Shop of Horrors

It is only these for me, but I love all three.

Watched Robocop again

Absolutely perfect movie in terms of characters, action, explosions, and plot points. The newsasts and commercials are great too. Its so odd. This R rated movie (for legit reasons) was absolutely a kids movie too. Saw it when i was 11. 

9 hours ago, MacReady said:

LA Confidential, factoring in aging of movies made before 1970, accounting for broad appeal, pacing, acting, technical achievement, writing and editing, might be a top 100 movie of all time.

One of the few movies, that made a good amount of changes from the book that ended up being better.

5 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

One of the few movies, that made a good amount of changes from the book that ended up being better.

I liked the novel, but it’s far from James Ellroy’s best work. Buzz Meeks is a main character in his previous (and better) novel, The Big Nowhere. The opening of the LA Confidential novel involving Buzz wouldn’t be nearly as good without having read that first.

American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand are his two best imo. Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks both tried and failed to adapt them. They’re both tied up contractually now, so the full cast audio version of American Tabloid is probably the closest we’ll get. Hopefully they make a full cast version of The Cold Six Thousand soon.

Edited by JohnChimpo