What are you reading? V1

Forge

I’m almost a year into the 56 hour long Infinite Jest audiobook, and I’m just over 40% finished. I always bounce back and forth between multiple books at a time, and this one took me a while to get into. It’s getting really good now that I have gotten used to the insane amount of details and am starting to see how things fit together.

Edited by JohnChimpo

Started Bel Canto the other day. Been on my reading list for years. About 50 pages in and it’s really good so far. Patchett has a very purposefully beautiful style to her prose. It’s like magical realism description and narration without any magical realism elements to the narrative.

• 2 weeks later...

The ending of Bel Canto is emotionally brutal.  It takes like two pages total, and it's devastating.  Great book.  Definitely gonna put more Ann Patchett on my tbr.

Starting The Left Hand of Darkness now.  Loved the Earthsea series, so I'm interested to see her take on science fiction.

Starting the Last Emperox by John Scalzi. Been a fun trilogy to read so far though too much ends up with a nice bow on it in the first two books. 

Been reading Not the End of the World by Hannah Ritchie, a data scientist. Been good for my climate anxiety and given me useful stuff to teach my young people. 

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to The Silence of the Lambs audiobook (narrated by Frank Muller) for the second time over the weekend. It’s a masterpiece. I hardly ever finish books that quickly, but I couldn’t turn it off.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

@beekay414 did you ever start the Silo books? 

I've got them but I did not get around to reading them yet. I plan to start reading a book every week or 2 once March Madness is over tho. So hopefully I'll have the series done by May-ish. 

On 2/16/2024 at 8:10 AM, Fresh Prince said:

Ranking of the Harry Potter books so far after finishing OOTP. Gonna take a break, and read Alexander the Great by Phillip Freeman.

Goblet of Fire

Sorcerers Stone

Chamber of Secrets

Prisoner of Azkaban

Order of the Phoenix 

Finally finished the series, was a little upsetting knowing that one of the best scenes in the entitle movie franchise didn’t happen in the deathly hallows book. But I do like the changes they made. Also the final confrontation with Voldemort was terrible, but understand it for a children’s book. Final rankings

GOF

SS

COS

DH

HBP

POA

OTTP