Week 3: Titans (2-0) at VIKINGS (0-2)

swede700

I don’t have a ton of confidence for this game. Henry will be difficult to contain. Get Henry before he gets going and we have a chance. Not too terribly worried about Mr. Tannehill, especially if the game is in his hands. Vikings are desperate and absolutely need to win this game. Prediction: Vikings squeak out a win. 

Edited by marshpit23

Does anyone else watch this defense and wonder if Zimmer’s scheme is just too complicated/complex? 

This weekend I watched a lot of teams playing rookies, playing backups, playing first year players, etc and the teams didn’t seem to miss a beat. Those players didn’t look lost or confused. I watched Seattle succeed with their 4th string safety, something that’s not unusual for Seattle or Baltimore, or Pittsburgh, or any other team that’s had a successful defense for a long time. All of these teams and players just look to be moving so much faster than I see any of the Vikings players, and I can’t help but think it’s because they are thinking too much. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Does anyone else watch this defense and wonder if Zimmer’s scheme is just too complicated/complex? 

This weekend I watched a lot of teams playing rookies, playing backups, playing first year players, etc and the teams didn’t seem to miss a beat. Those players didn’t look lost or confused. I watched Seattle succeed with their 4th string safety, something that’s not unusual for Seattle or Baltimore, or Pittsburgh, or any other team that’s had a successful defense for a long time. All of these teams and players just look to be moving so much faster than I see any of the Vikings players, and I can’t help but think it’s because they are thinking too much. 

That's very possible.  Normally he can get away with it because he has pretty much the same team.  This much turnover and young players is unusual for him

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's very possible.  Normally he can get away with it because he has pretty much the same team.  This much turnover and young players is unusual for him

he did say something post game about how he had to simplify the coverages between week 1 and week 2 because of how many young players he was counting on. I think this resulted in some of the things the colts were able to exploit like the TE corner route on which alie-cox had like 80 of his 100+ yards. it might be a darned if you do darned if you don't thing. also I imagine he will have to simplify them further without Barr, someone who has been here through Zimmer's entire tenure.

1 minute ago, erickendricks4pf said:

he did say something post game about how he had to simplify the coverages between week 1 and week 2 because of how many young players he was counting on. I think this resulted in some of the things the colts were able to exploit like the TE corner route on which alie-cox had like 80 of his 100+ yards. it might be a darned if you do darned if you don't thing. also I imagine he will have to simplify them further without Barr, someone who has been here through Zimmer's entire tenure.

1 hour ago, erickendricks4pf said:

A very damned if you do, and damned if you don't situation.

That should speak volumes top to bottom of the roster.

We are currently 5-15 on 3rd downs for the season. The TOP also reflects that. This defense, with all it's issues, can't stay off the field if Cousins and the offense, can't move the ball. The D is getting gassed, early, and often.

Won't be any different with King Henry.

• Like 2

if we are looking for silver linings, both Bradbury and O'Neill have been very good so far this young season, especially in pass pro. Reiff has also been rock-solid. But then again, the guards have been so horrendous that it hasn't really mattered. Which makes the Kline decision this offseason all the more puzzling. One of the most perplexing moves in the Spielman era. Letting an underpaid average to above-average starter leave to save next to nothing while replacing him with barely NFL caliber players. 

1 minute ago, erickendricks4pf said:

Which makes the Kline decision this offseason all the more puzzling. One of the most perplexing moves in the Spielman era. Letting an underpaid average to above-average starter leave to save next to nothing while replacing him with barely NFL caliber players. 

Kline’s PFF grade last year was 61.5. Elflein’s grade against Green Bay was 60, and Dozier’s grade through two games is 55.6. Let’s not act like Kline would improve things much. 

But the fact that he’s still a free agent would suggest that there’s more to his release than simply saving money. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:08 AM, SemperFeist said:

Good take by Orlovsky. And the onus I have to put on Kubiak. If people can see this watching the game, then Kubiak should see it, and he should be calling a game that gets Cousins to slow down. 

I hope he's interested in coaching the nfl someday. He knows about QBs taking safeties too. 😁

• Like 1