2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

One day Elway has to move away from his obsession with 6'4+ strong armed passers. Its arguable that at this point his obsession with those two metrics, height and arm strength, have clouded his field of vision when evaluating QB's to the point of being fire worthy. 

What's funny (sad?) is that we were afraid Elway would love Herbert.

• Like 4

What's funny (sad?) is that we were afraid Elway would love Herbert.

•  

Ya, the universe seems to hate the idea of Denver getting a competent QB right now. 

That being said, in terms of raw physical talent and the mentality to absorb coaching and learn from his mistakes, Herbert seems to be head and shoulders better than our most recent draft choices of Lynch and Lock. 

Paxton just didnt care and Lock seems bullheaded. And neither had the arm that Herbert has. 

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, the universe seems to hate the idea of Denver getting a competent QB right now. 

That being said, in terms of raw physical talent and the mentality to absorb coaching and learn from his mistakes, Herbert seems to be head and shoulders better than our most recent draft choices of Lynch and Lock. 

Paxton just didnt care and Lock seems bullheaded. And neither had the arm that Herbert has. 

I think he's the worst 1st rd pick we've ever had. To this day I have no idea how any football people could have picked him that high.

And just think, we could have picked Chris Jones.

I think he's the worst 1st rd pick we've ever had. To this day I have no idea how any football people could have picked him that high.

He had a nice arm, not elite but nice. Thats about where it stopped. High cut and tall with a basketball players build and poor speed (4.86 40) but the real issue that the guy was just a straight up doofus. Its horrifying that Elway sat down with him and came away with the idea 'this guy is going to be the face of our franchise!'

Lock has a ton of issues, some of them between the ears, but at least he has a competitive spirit. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

the paxton lynch / vance joseph combo from elway/ellis (there are people that will yell at you that ellis stopped john from bringing in kyle shanahan) is just truly unbelievable 

21 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He had a nice arm, not elite but nice. Thats about where it stopped. High cut and tall with a basketball players build and poor speed (4.86 40) but the real issue that the guy was just a straight up doofus. Its horrifying that Elway sat down with him and came away with the idea 'this guy is going to be the face of our franchise!'

Lock has a ton of issues, some of them between the ears, but at least he has a competitive spirit. 

Thats' what stunned me bud. How could you possibly think that he was going to play in the NFL? After his first presser I remember just shaking my head and thinking "You've got to be kidding me"

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Thats' what stunned me bud. How could you possibly think that he was going to play in the NFL? After his first presser I remember just shaking my head and thinking "You've got to be kidding me"

Just remember that Jerry Jones publicly stated after the draft that he regretted not trading up for Lynch and getting stuck with Dak. 

Yeah. Lynch had 0 competitiveness.  I knew he would amount to nothing when he lost the starting job in the last preseason game and was show laughing, celebrating, and even giving Siemian high 5s.  That’s just not a normal response from a competitor.

I will say, Lock loves football.  He wants to compete.  I think he’s immature, but he has a competitive spirit for the game that Lynch never had.

Edited by germ-x

Purely hypothetical but say we end up at pick 4, Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson are all gone. Who would you pick assuming no trades? Best players are probably Sewell (OT) and Chase (WR) but hard to see their initial fit with us as we're pretty set at WR with Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler as our top 3.  Im a big fan of Micah Parsons, but pick 4 is pretty high for not a premier position...  

I would love Sewell but where would he fit in our current line now and moving forward? Would he end up being our Lane Johnson? 

LT -Bolles (no, just signed extention) 

LG - Risner (move Risner to C with Sewell starting LG?), 

C - Cushenberry (our weak link right now, but Sewell wouldn't be the one to play there),

RG - Glasglow (Has C experience but has been a much better guard than C in his career. Maybe he moves to C and Sewell plays RG for a year?) 

RT - James (He'll be our RT next year, but then Sewell can move here when we move on from James in 2022) 

With that said, I would take him and figure it out later. Drafts are a crapshoot and Sewell is going to be a stud. 

Unfortunately, this draft really doesn't matchup with our needs at all besides at Corner. Even there though, there isn't a bonafide stud like Stingley... 

7 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Purely hypothetical but say we end up at pick 4, Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson are all gone. Who would you pick assuming no trades? Best players are probably Sewell (OT) and Chase (WR) but hard to see their initial fit with us as we're pretty set at WR with Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler as our top 3.  Im a big fan of Micah Parsons, but pick 4 is pretty high for not a premier position...  

I would love Sewell but where would he fit in our current line now and moving forward? Would he end up being our Lane Johnson? 

LT -Bolles (no, just signed extention) 

LG - Risner (move Risner to C with Sewell starting LG?), 

C - Cushenberry (our weak link right now, but Sewell wouldn't be the one to play there),

RG - Glasglow (Has C experience but has been a much better guard than C in his career. Maybe he moves to C and Sewell plays RG for a year?) 

RT - James (He'll be our RT next year, but then Sewell can move here when we move on from James in 2022) 

With that said, I would take him and figure it out later. Drafts are a crapshoot and Sewell is going to be a stud. 

Unfortunately, this draft really doesn't matchup with our needs at all besides at Corner. Even there though, there isn't a bonafide stud like Stingley... 

I have not really watched any of these guys yet and am trying to avoid reading much about any of them.  Am trying to do my next top 150-200 without any outside influence giving me an opinion before watching.

Will say though, if that scenario plays out you have 2 choices.  You take Sewell or you trade back for more assets.  I saw enough of Sewell last year watching Herbert and he’s a generational type OT prospect.  Will say OT is scary though.  OL is just different jumping to the NFL and going up against grown men on every snap.  But I think with his tenacity he will be fine.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Sewell’s the only option here (if you can’t trade back). Not great to “waste” him at RT for the first 3-4 years, but oh man imagine how good the line would be.

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Sewell’s the only option here (if you can’t trade back). Not great to “waste” him at RT for the first 3-4 years, but oh man imagine how good the line would be.

Anymore I don't see RT as a "waste". Defenses are getting a lot of talent on that side now. To be a really good OL you almost need two OT's with LT talent, much like we had with Zimmerman / Jones.

Gibbs used to have his RT as his backup LT, eventually to take over. Just imagine having Sewell and Bolles on the edges. Also, we'd be screwed right now if Bolles went down. From what I've heard Sewell would be a great choice.

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Yeah,  but even then I think the game keeps changing.  NFL defenses are all about pass rushers.  I think the days of wasting players to pass protect are over.

I think the bigger issue with Denver is paying Bolles $17M and James $13M.  Then they’re paying Glasgow $9M and just invested 2 top 100 picks on the OL.

For Denver it’s less about left or right tackle and more about the insane amount of assets already spent in putting together a more than capable OL.

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Anymore I don't see RT as a "waste". Defenses are getting a lot of talent on that side now. To be a really good OL you almost need two OT's with LT talent, much like we had with Zimmerman / Jones.

Gibbs used to have his RT as his backup LT, eventually to take over. Just imagine having Sewell and Bolles on the edges. Also, we'd be screwed right now if Bolles went down. From what I've heard Sewell would be a great choice.

Don’t disagree.  But Denver’s invested far too much financially to select Sewell after I’ve looked at the numbers.  No way he can be the selection.