Week two Aints... Good, bad, ugly

Totty

48 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The incredible: Not having a freaking dirt infield on our FOOTBALL field. Man I can't get over how sharp, modern and overall beautiful our stadium is. I can't wait to see Raider nation pack the place and eventually check out a game there myself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/larrybrownsports.com/football/ex-nfl-rb-justin-forsett-oakland-coliseum-dirt/513201%3famp

17 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I don’t like how Jacobs has 52 carries through 2 weeks. 

That is alarming, especially considering we are throwing it to him more now too. I personally loved when we went more into shotgun and started throwing instead of pounding Jacobs to death. I hope we do more of that against the Patriots and potentially reduce JJ's touches. We need him fresh all year. 

• Like 1

Good

Gruden - Best game I've seen him call as coach. Very happy he had this team ready to play and liked that we showed fight after getting punched in the mouth early.

DC - From the 2nd Q on, he was very good. Spread the ball around alot but also kept exploiting the mismatch that is Darren Waller. He has started this season looking as crisp and comfortable as he has in years. Let's keep it up.

Waller - What is there to say. The guy is a superstar and I was happy to see we finally got him the ball in the redzone.

Jacobs - The grit and heart this kid plays with is infectious. Not a great day statistically but Jacobs is always as entertaining to watch to play. Special.

Tom Cable - Had the rookie Simpson ready to play and Denzel Good ready to go as well. Oline gave up 3 sacks but I would blame Carr for at least two. 

The Stadium - I'm a northern cali guy so I was initially salty with the move, but man seeing that beautiful building warmed my heart. State of the art. 

Carlson - Nice start to his season after a shaky year last year.

Bad 

Carr's deep throws to Ruggs, missing him on the play action.

Dline. Clelin Ferrell is a bust. Nassib looks like a bad investment. Crosby is a complimentary rusher, which is fine, but he doesn't look as twitchy this year. Maybe got too big. We are the worst Dline in the league once again.

Morrow. Besides that gift from Brees man is he bad.

Tackling was piss poor

Richard fumble

Ref's missing the elbow to Carr's head

I will be more critical because it is time for that.

Good 

I'll start at the top with Gruden. He may be a dinosaur and it showed at first but he CHANGED mid game before it was too late. Maybe he's trying to look predictable so he can change that up later but I doubt it. He also took some risks to win not lose and THAT is entertaining if nothing else. Also putting a player in time out but not a dog house. Richard and Arnette especially. 

Cable has his guy BALLING!!! Two top guys out and a replacement who's out of his natural position. I use to think it's the top talent but it's Cable too. These guys are buying into what he's preaching.

Carr...We will only go as far as Carr takes us. Went from managing to slinging it. I wouldn't get rid of him and he's dirt cheap but it's obvious we need to get him to act/react than think in the pocket. Think pre-snap then ACT/REACT. His confidence and trust with his new toys will get better every week. 

Edwards has 'it' and you can see it. Just needs that trust with Carr.

Waller/Jacobs have been mentioned by others so I'll pass.

Ruggs as a decoy is still better than no Ruggs. I think Gruden is purposely focusing on a different weapon plan each week as he should. Pats did that well.

Oline is just impressive. I want to invest some draft picks there next year so we never go without a great line and depth. I have no problem moving on from Trent if he doesn't see the field soon and stay available. 

The Bad

Lots of stuff to work on and lots of mistakes. A bend don't break Defense looks bad but works well enough until the players get better. 

Ugly

No fans to feed off of. It wasn't a problem because we won but seeing the faces in the crowd and hearing a roar is just different.

Overall I'm happy with the outcome and see a LOT of work that needs to be done. I'm liking what I'm seeing in a COVID season with no pre-season etc...We will only get better week to week 😁

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That is alarming, especially considering we are throwing it to him more now too. I personally loved when we went more into shotgun and started throwing instead of pounding Jacobs to death. I hope we do more of that against the Patriots and potentially reduce JJ's touches. We need him fresh all year. 

I seriously can't wrap my brain around how the guy is still walking.

its quite rare for a gruden offense to start slow and then get hot all the way through the end of the game, but that's what we saw. 

offense struggled early in a few different ways, largely on Carr. he missed the deep ball to Ruggs who had a little separation, then he missed another opportunity to Ruggs (though pressure arguably got there before he actually broke open. still, anticipation.... give Ruggs chances). those back to back coverage sacks Carr took were also really ugly.

but 3 straight scores to end the half, followed by a touchdown to open up the third. another good drive ended by a concentration drop/fumble by richard, which was followed by ANOTHER touchdown drive, and then the field goal to ice the game. good stuff, though i do want to see more shots taken with Ruggs.

defensively... still a mess, but Brees really looks like he's on a rapid decline, and he didnt have Michael Thomas as a crutch. once we jumped on top and forced them to throw more, things looked a lot better. by my eye Arden Key actually looked like he was winning quite a bit. our corners have generally held up well in coverage, the problem has typically been lack of pass rush just buying too much time for receivers to break free

its also clear Abram is going to be a difference maker, but he still has to play a little more controlled. too often he just lunges for a hit instead of making good, hard, form tackles

• Like 2

Carr turned it around after a disappointing 1st quarter. Willing to give him props for that

Jacobs continues to be the premier back I thought he'd be. Glad Richard rebounded from his mistake but I still want another starter-quality guy behind Josh to help take the load off

D-line was anemic again. Brees looking washed helped out with that but we still hardly got close to him. I want to see more of this group

5 hours ago, Totty said:

Not complaining at all.  I'm probably the biggest Carr supporter in here.  Just saying even the most bias Carr supporter recognizes the issues facing the QB in turn the team.  Slow down in the sarcasm, Jack.  We're on the same team. 

Totty I have no time for conversation! Lol...

We are 2 and 0 and just beat the Saints!

Sorry.  I was so hyped last night I was throwing hay makers and uppercuts into the wind around my house. Whatever issues you're talking about, I'm still glad we JUST BEAT THE SAINTS!!! Sweet sweet victory. Going to really soak this one up. Might stand outside my house and tear up later. 

• Like 4