Week 3 GDT - New York Giants vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

According to sportac, we have a potential out after this year? is this still the case after the restructure?

We would save like an additional 6.4 next year. Not ideal, but it's still money saved, and at this point, I'm not even sure that he's worth the additional 6 million

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Shocking

Will be 30 years old after the season, suffers from constant back and knee injuries...even with the restructure, you could argue its time to cut bait. 

Back injuries are almost like a kiss of death to me. It's remarkable Joe Montana had two in the 1980's and still was a productive player for a few more years. Different position though. I remember Marco Rivera in his final days was played by a back injury, and he was essentially done after he left Green Bay. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Back injuries are almost like a kiss of death to me. It's remarkable Joe Montana had two in the 1980's and still was a productive player for a few more years. Different position though. I remember Marco Rivera in his final days was played by a back injury, and he was essentially done after he left Green Bay. 

Same here. I pushed hard against signing Ziggy two years ago because if the same thing. 

I really hope Hyder Jr. and Givens have big games along with Armstead. Jones needs to feel the heat, and the team needs to start getting some turnovers. Is Ansah the answer to our prayers? Probably not, but maybe he can cough up a pressure or two. 

Maybe it's just the system, but even with his Saturdy night special of an arm, I think Mullens might be the better quarterback compared to Jones. We'll see what he can do with a limited cast. Hopefully McKinnon makes things easier, and allows Shanahan to utilize rullouts with BDN. Just as long as Beathard doesn't have to come into the game. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Despite being on the road, playing at 1 PM EST, and with half the starting roster depleted, they still dominated the Jets. As devastating as all the injuries have been, that was still a good sign and its a testament to the depth built on this squad. 

I don't expect us to dominate the Giants, but this is a winnable game. Our depth has to keep stepping up & Shanny has to work around the limitations. 

I wonder if we'll be more aggressive with the blitzes this weekend. Although, i'm hopeful that Kinlaw/Givens/Hyder/Armstead are able to apply pressure  on base downs as well. 

So I watched the Jets game again last night and it hasn't been mentioned, but Bourne looks GOOD. Even against the Cardinals he was running sharp routes and he's been much better beating press coverage. This guy is getting steps on DBs on deep routes that he almost never did in the past. Is he a legit #1? Of course not, but he definitely looks better and could have a big game this week. Once Deebo returns, the receiving core is going to be very solid. 

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I really hope Hyder Jr. and Givens have big games along with Armstead. Jones needs to feel the heat, and the team needs to start getting some turnovers. Is Ansah the answer to our prayers? Probably not, but maybe he can cough up a pressure or two. 

Maybe it's just the system, but even with his Saturdy night special of an arm, I think Mullens might be the better quarterback compared to Jones. We'll see what he can do with a limited cast. Hopefully McKinnon makes things easier, and allows Shanahan to utilize rullouts with BDN. Just as long as Beathard doesn't have to come into the game. 

Jones and Mullens are two QBs that turn the ball over like crazy. Expect at least three or four combined turnovers from the two. But yes, Mullens certainly can be the best QB on the field on Sunday. 

McKinnon doesn't have the long speed he did in Minnesota but he's certainly still quick in and out of his breaks. Interested in seeing how many touches he gets this week. Reed is going to be leaned upon quite a bit until Kittle/Deebo return. 

Back to my prior post, expecting a big game from Bourne. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jones and Mullens are two QBs that turn the ball over like crazy. Expect at least three or four combined turnovers from the two. But yes, Mullens certainly can be the best QB on the field on Sunday. 

McKinnon doesn't have the long speed he did in Minnesota but he's certainly still quick in and out of his breaks. Interested in seeing how many touches he gets this week. Reed is going to be leaned upon quite a bit until Kittle/Deebo return. 

Back to my prior post, expecting a big game from Bourne. 

Mullens did have one of the more lackluster percentages of his passes intercepted during his 2018 stint, but he was a rookie on a bad team that came in during the middle of the year. And it wasn't like Nathan Peterman level bad. At least he only lost one fumble. And yeah, he did have that interception Sunday, but again, he came in without reps. I'm hoping he's improved a little bit. 

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Mullens did have one of the more lackluster percentages of his passes intercepted during his 2018 stint, but he was a rookie on a bad team that came in during the middle of the year. And it wasn't like Nathan Peterman level bad. At least he only lost one fumble. And yeah, he did have that interception Sunday, but again, he came in without reps. I'm hoping he's improved a little bit. 

Mullens is a fine backup and our offense is going to be just fine, but he doesn't have the biggest of arms but will try to make some risky throws. Heck, Jimmy has been turnover prone himself taking too many risks. Jimmy is more accurate than Mullens on the short to intermediate throws, but Mullens will test the defense more vertically. Aiyuk is definitely going to get a shot or two down the field with Mullens back under center. 

Not sure how good the Giants interior OL is, but that is our best bet to disrupt Jones. 

We promoted Jordan from the practice squad. I wonder if they attempt to go after another pass rusher as well? I know Wake’s name has been thrown around. I saw an article that mentioned while he doesn’t get a lot of sacks, but he does get a lot of pressure which I’m all for. Sacks are just a nice stat line, but qb pressure is what we are lacking right now. I’m with all of u, I highly doubt Ford plays any time soon, which is depressing as hell! 

NFLPA is checking out Met field again. I wonder what would happen if they decide it’s not serviceable? Do they push the game or look for an alternate field? Has that ever happened before? 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I watched the Jets game again last night and it hasn't been mentioned, but Bourne looks GOOD. Even against the Cardinals he was running sharp routes and he's been much better beating press coverage. This guy is getting steps on DBs on deep routes that he almost never did in the past. Is he a legit #1? Of course not, but he definitely looks better and could have a big game this week. Once Deebo returns, the receiving core is going to be very solid. 

He has looked solid but I'm still pissed he droped a perfectly thrown deep ball Sunday.