Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL? (Part 2)

sammymvpknight

49 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

no, yards and efficiency. Getting 500 carries at 3.5 ypc is worthless. RB is all about efficiency, and more impressively, holding that efficiency with higher volume. But, for the record, you judge it on tds, so when Kamara inevitably slips to 11 or whatever next year (because as @Jakuvious already pointed out, tds are more about situation and opportunity than skill) then you will admit that kamara undoubtedly got worse as a player.

Oh good makes me feel much better about my argument for Michael Thomas then before injuries derailed his 2020 campaign.

While Kamara may not have the total yards that McCaffrey did last year he has been more efficient and has more touchdowns than he had. McCaffrey had 4.8 ypc last and 3.8 this year in his 3 games. He also had 8.7 yards per catch last year and 8.8 this year. Kamara this year is at 9.1. Again I don't care if you don't "value" touchdowns. If you're going to argue ADOT as an important stat you better believe I'm bringing touchdowns to the table

17 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Oh good makes me feel much better about my argument for Michael Thomas then before injuries derailed his 2020 campaign.

While Kamara may not have the total yards that McCaffrey did last year he has been more efficient and has more touchdowns than he had. McCaffrey had 4.8 ypc last and 3.8 this year in his 3 games. He also had 8.7 yards per catch last year and 8.8 this year. Kamara this year is at 9.1. Again I don't care if you don't "value" touchdowns. If you're going to argue ADOT as an important stat you better believe I'm bringing touchdowns to the table

you dont seem to understand what adot is, quite frankly. it does almost does nothing but tell you what types of routes guys are running which seems relevant to wrs?  ANd you do realize wr and rbs are different positions? but this is so far off track from what the topic is. And you completely skipped over volume. CMC had over 100 mores carries AND better efficiency last year. 

Dude, make all the stupid arguments you want. bang the drum on TDs, please, actually do that.

Edited by GSUeagles14

34 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you dont seem to understand what adot is, quite frankly. it does almost does nothing but tell you what types of routes guys are running which seems relevant to wrs? but this is so far off track from what the topic is.

Well aware of what it is, I just find it entertaining you pick and choose what is important in terms of "stats" only if it will help your attempt at an argument. So touchdowns don't matter, but adot is essential lol. Who cares about historic amount of catches and league leading receiving yards because adot lol.

And you completely skipped over volume. CMC had over 100 mores carries AND better efficiency last year. 

Nah.

Less ypc:

2019 McCaffrey- 4.8

2020 McCaffrey- 3.8

2020 Kamara- 5.0

Less yards per reception:

2019 McCaffrey- 8.7

2020 McCaffrey- 8.8

2020 Kamara- 9.1

Less touchdowns:

2019 McCaffrey- 15 rushing touchdowns, 4 receiving touchdowns (19 total touchdowns)

2020 Kamara- 16 rushing touchdowns, 5 receiving touchdowns (21 total touchdowns *15 games*)

Less efficient breaking tackles:

2019 McCaffrey- 16 broken tackles rushing on 287 rushes. 14 broken tackles receiving on 116 receptions.

30 broken tackles on 403 touches

2020 Kamara- 15 broken tackles rushing on 187 rushes. 15 broken tackles receiving on 83 receptions.

30 broken tackles on 270 touches

Less efficient when targeted:

2019 McCaffrey- 99.7 QB Rating when targeted

2020 Kamara- 107.8 QB Rating when targeted

McCaffrey is one of my favorite RB's in the NFL (was pretty much driving the McCaffrey bandwagon on this forum during the draft process with the elite NFL projections I gave him with many disagreeing saying Fournette was the better option), so this isn't to bring him down, I think he is right up with the best and would respect an argument if someone felt he is the best and would certainly say "he is in the discussion". Just showing that Kamara has been a bit more efficient in different areas despite McCaffrey having the bulk numbers in terms of total yardage. Both are elite, which is where preference and the "eye test" comes into play. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Well aware of what it is, I just find it entertaining you pick and choose what is important in terms of "stats" only if it will help your attempt at an argument. So touchdowns don't matter, but adot is essential lol. Who cares about historic amount of catches and league leading receiving yards because adot lol.

Nah.

Less ypc:

2019 McCaffrey- 4.8

2020 McCaffrey- 3.8

2020 Kamara- 5.0

Less yards per reception:

2019 McCaffrey- 8.7

2020 McCaffrey- 8.8

2020 Kamara- 9.1

Less touchdowns:

2019 McCaffrey- 15 rushing touchdowns, 4 receiving touchdowns (19 total touchdowns)

2020 Kamara- 16 rushing touchdowns, 5 receiving touchdowns (21 total touchdowns *15 games*)

Less efficient breaking tackles:

2019 McCaffrey- 16 broken tackles rushing on 287 rushes. 14 broken tackles receiving on 116 receptions.

30 broken tackles on 403 touches

2020 Kamara- 15 broken tackles rushing on 187 rushes. 15 broken tackles receiving on 83 receptions.

30 broken tackles on 270 touches

Less efficient when targeted:

2019 McCaffrey- 99.7 QB Rating when targeted

2020 Kamara- 107.8 QB Rating when targeted

McCaffrey is one of my favorite RB's in the NFL (was pretty much driving the McCaffrey bandwagon on this forum during the draft process with the elite NFL projections I gave him with many disagreeing saying Fournette was the better option), so this isn't to bring him down, I think he is right up with the best and would respect an argument if someone felt he is the best and would certainly say "he is in the discussion". Just showing that Kamara has been a bit more efficient in different areas despite McCaffrey having the bulk numbers in terms of total yardage. Both are elite, which is where preference and the "eye test" comes into play. 

Why are you being intentional obtuse if you believe Kamaras the best? I was pretty clear in my initial post that it was volume and efficiency together, and then when you ignored volume I had to ask why you did so. Which you ignored.

and you also bolded where I said cmc had better efficiency last year, but post a 3 game sample size? You desperate huh bruh? No one in the right mind takes a tenth of a yard in ypc for 100+ less carries. It’s why I said volume and efficiency, not just efficiency. Volume and efficiency. If it’s just efficiency, guys like jerious Norwood (who?) had a couple years as the best in the league.

but glad to see your argument for Kamala essentially breaks down to he breaks more tackles and scores more tds. Two very solid categories.

Lastly, responses like this is why I stepped away for a couple weeks and will really try to do so again, not many would try to make the argument you’ve made in person, and if someone did then it’s be a pretty good sign to just smile and shake your head. so why engage on the internet? 

37 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Why are you being intentional obtuse if you believe Kamaras the best? I was pretty clear in my initial post that it was volume and efficiency together, and then when you ignored volume I had to ask why you did so. Which you ignored.

"CMC had over 100 mores carries AND better efficiency last year."

Lol yeah that's not what this says. This suggests McCaffrey was better in both volume AND efficiency. He wasn't.

and you also bolded where I said cmc had better efficiency last year, but post a 3 game sample size? You desperate huh bruh? No one in the right mind takes a tenth of a yard in ypc for 100+ less carries. It’s why I said volume and efficiency, not just efficiency. Volume and efficiency. If it’s just efficiency, guys like jerious Norwood (who?) had a couple years as the best in the league.

McCaffrey averaged about a quarter of a yard less per carry and almost a half yard less per catch. I included both years just for good measure. Your Norwood comparison is irrelevant in this discussion. Unless you think Norwood has had a season comparable to what Kamara is currently doing in terms of overall numbers? 

but glad to see your argument for Kamala essentially breaks down to he breaks more tackles and scores more tds. Two very solid categories.

And higher yards per carry, and higher yards per reception, and has been a more effective target in the receiving game hence the higher QB rating when targeted.

Lastly, responses like this is why I stepped away for a couple weeks and will really try to do so again, not many would try to make the argument you’ve made in person, and if someone did then it’s be a pretty good sign to just smile and shake your head. so why engage on the internet? 

Once again, this isn't an airport, you don't have to announce your departure...We really don't care if you step away or not..

Edited by tyler735

Weird looks like I'm not alone in believing Kamara is in the conversation for best RB. Seems others think he is a legit contender for Offensive Player of the Year, which would undoubtedly suggest he is in the conversation for best RB

www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/33895/why-alvin-kamaras-monster-game-was-so-important-to-saints-drew-brees%3fplatform=amp

Edited by tyler735

On 12/27/2020 at 9:18 PM, GSUeagles14 said:

no, yards and efficiency. Getting 500 carries at 3.5 ypc is worthless. RB is all about efficiency, and more impressively, holding that efficiency with higher volume. But, for the record, you judge it on tds, so when Kamara inevitably slips to 11 or whatever next year (because as @Jakuvious already pointed out, tds are more about situation and opportunity than skill) then you will admit that kamara undoubtedly got worse as a player.

Well if you wanna talk about efficiency let’s take a look. Here are rush yards per attempt, receiving yards per attempt, total yards per attempt. 

Kamara 

Rush 5

Rec 8.7

Touch 6.2

Henry 

Rush 4.9

Rec 9.1

Touch 5.1

Cook

Rush 4.8

Rec 8.6

Touch 5.4

Mcaffrey

Rush 4.6

Rec 8.4

Touch 5.8

also if you want to talk about volume 

Kamara 

6164 yards on 998 touches 

58 touchdowns 

Henry 

6302 yards on 1224 touches 

56 touchdowns 

Cook 

4936 yards on 917 touches 

35 touchdowns 

Mcaffrey 

5817 yards on 1002

45 touchdowns 

also should add Henry has been in the league 1 year longer than the other 3.

Edited by GamedayGuru
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 10:31 PM, GSUeagles14 said:

you dont seem to understand what adot is, quite frankly. it does almost does nothing but tell you what types of routes guys are running which seems relevant to wrs?  ANd you do realize wr and rbs are different positions? but this is so far off track from what the topic is. And you completely skipped over volume. CMC had over 100 mores carries AND better efficiency last year. 

Dude, make all the stupid arguments you want. bang the drum on TDs, please, actually do that.

That’s one year, over their careers kamara absolutely destroys CMC in every category. You did say the way you grade is efficiency and volume correct? In that case it clearly points to kamara as the better back. 

Mind telling me which of your stats points towards mcaffrey? Because it appears Kamara is both more efficient, while also having a higher volume. 

Edited by GamedayGuru