Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL? (Part 2)

sammymvpknight

11 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If Kamara is the better kick returner, then Henry is the better QB. And we all know QB is the most valuable position on the field.

Hey if Henry can play a role as a QB outside of a quick 1 play cameo then great more power to him would be nice to see some versatility in his game lol. Kamara has looked great returning kicks when he has done so. 

11 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

But that’s the point, he doesn’t ever score from 60 yards or wherever. His TD’s nearly always come on the opponents side of the field. Henry’s a legitimate threat to score anywhere.

Seems like a strange argument. More circumstance and luck than actual skill. As shown Kamara can do it just fine from anywhere on the field when opportunity presents itself. He also has dusted secondaries from 40+ several times where it's kind of irrelevant how far out he is at that point as shown above as the secondary clearly isn't catching him

10 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Hey if Henry can play a role as a QB outside of a quick 1 play cameo then great more power to him would be nice to see some versatility in his game lol. Kamara has looked great returning kicks when he has done so.

Likewise, Henry has looked great as a Wildcat QB when he has done so... so point stands.

Seems like a strange argument. More circumstance and luck than actual skill.

I would disagree wholeheartedly with this. So much of this is predicated on vision and finding the right running lanes - we've seen Henry's former college teammate Trent Richardson completely miss basic running lanes, so not attributing this to skill is ignoring what makes a good RB great - vision, feel and patience.

Kamara demonstrates this as well. I'd call it a bit of a null tell - BUT, Henry has another element to this, which is his physicality and perhaps the best stiff arm since Ladanian Tomlinson.

He also has dusted secondaries from 40+ several times where it's kind of irrelevant how far out he is at that point as shown above as the secondary clearly isn't catching him

Likewise, so has Henry. Have you ever seen him run down from behind? I haven't.

25 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Seems like a strange argument. More circumstance and luck than actual skill. As shown Kamara can do it just fine from anywhere on the field when opportunity presents itself. He also has dusted secondaries from 40+ several times where it's kind of irrelevant how far out he is at that point as shown above as the secondary clearly isn't catching him

Chalking it up to circumstance and luck is really downplaying Henry’s homerun ability. There’s a reason no RB in the NFL outside of AP has close to that amount of 50+ yard scores. Nobody possesses his break away speed combined with what may legitimately be the greatest stiff arm of all time.

As for the bolded: Kamara may very well take advantage of an opportunity presented to him, but Henry takes advantage of opportunities he creates himself. What other examples can you give of Kamara taking advantage of an opportunity he created himself to bust a long TD besides that GB clip? Because I can give you a multitude for Henry. Their homerun abilities just aren’t on the same level. If they were, we would see Kamara scoring more on NO’s side of the field. But you never see it.

Edited by dtait93

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I would disagree wholeheartedly with this. So much of this is predicated on vision and finding the right running lanes - we've seen Henry's former college teammate Trent Richardson completely miss basic running lanes, so not attributing this to skill is ignoring what makes a good RB great - vision, feel and patience.

Kamara demonstrates this as well. I'd call it a bit of a null tell - BUT, Henry has another element to this, which is his physicality and perhaps the best stiff arm since Ladanian Tomlinson.

Yes in an example like that skill comes into play obviously. Comparing 2 elite RB's not so much. Circumstance and luck comes more into play. Henry obviously is a freak athlete with his size, speed, strength combo. Kamara definitely does it differently with balance, quickness, and speed

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Likewise, so has Henry. Have you ever seen him run down from behind? I haven't.

Yes, I have. Not a huge deal, but against the Ravens he got ran down

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You guys are really including return ability and QB snaps into this now? Come on now.

I can’t wait to see what Part 3 holds.

Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL? (Part 3): Cooler shoes; Brighter grill

• Like 1

In regards to home run hitting ability. Many use 40+ yard plays to define this as it's actually a tracked stat by sites I know it's slightly different than what you are trying to argue, but I already pointed out, I simply don't agree with the logic. It often comes down to luck or circumstance when talking about a 40 yards, 60 yard, 80 yard touchdown. Several of Kamara's 40+ yard touchdowns would still be touchdowns basically anywhere else on the field. Looking at NFL.com, here are their 40+ yard play stats:

Kamara has a career total of:

5 plays rushing that have gone 40+ yards

5 plays receiving (not including this play below) that have gone 40+ yards

(3 kick returns that have gone 40+ yards just for good measure)

10 plays of 40+ yards on 998 touches

Henry has a career total of:

11 plays rushing that have gone 40+ yards

3 plays receiving that have gone 40+ yards

14 plays of 40+ yards on 1258 touches

As it stands Henry is averaging a slightly better average of 40+ yard plays per touch (100 touches per 40 yard play vs 90 touches per 40 yards play) in his career (not counting kick returns), but it's close enough that, had this holding call in the play below not been called they would both be about 90 touches per 40 yard play in their career. In other words, both are excellent home run hitters, which has essentially been my argument.

Called back because of a hold, but another long touchdown from Kamara that would easily go from wherever

Sure Henry just had an undoubtedly beastly season, but so did Kamara.

It's a bummer Kamara didn't get that final game in because of Covid.

Kamara likely finishes with about 1,800+ yards from scrimmage and 21+ touchdowns if he plays that final game (based off his 113 yards from scrimmage per game average)

Henry had 2,141 yards from scrimmage and 17 touchdowns this year (averaged 134 yards from scrimmage per game)

Biggest difference being Kamara had 270 touches, and Henry had 397 to get to their final numbers (average of 7 more touches per game for Henry). If Kamara gets more touches, I have no doubt he's breaking 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

In regards to home run hitting ability. Many use 40+ yard plays to define this as it's actually a tracked stat by sites I know it's slightly different than what you are trying to argue, but I already pointed out, I simply don't agree with the logic. It often comes down to luck or circumstance when talking about a 40 yards, 60 yard, 80 yard touchdown. Several of Kamara's 40+ yard touchdowns would still be touchdowns basically anywhere else on the field

Ok, and several of Henry's touchdowns would also still be touchdowns basically anywhere on the field. If your going to give Kamara an "anywhere else on the" benefit to his 40 yard long TD runs, then you must also apply it to Henry. Therefore it cancels each other out. Henry is clearly, and undoubtedly the better homerun hitter.

Edited by dtait93