2021 NFL Draft Thread

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't know. I just don't want to draft Mac that early or get Lance or Fields tbh. We might just be back where we started in 2022. Like 2018 to now. 

You said average at best. We could just still be dog poo like we have been. 

I think we will field a better roster/team around our QB no matter who it is next year so I think we will get better just in that way. Heck, I think even these young guys will be one year better, be more developed in this scheme and that alone will win us a few more games than this year too even if Haskins, Kyle Allen or Alex Smith is our QB next year.

As for the QBs, look I get it that you don’t want to take a QB in the top 5 unless you you’re almost certain that that Qb is going to be a franchise QB but not taking one of those 3 guys with our top 10 pick next year to me screams that we aren’t even trying to get better at the most important position on the field - the QB position - for the long term of this franchise and I can’t accept that. 

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@ripsean21 I’d take Fields, Mac Jones or Lance with our top 5 pick and then take Kellen Mond (TX A&M), Sam Ellingher (TX), Brock Purdy (IA St), Ian Book (ND), Desmond Rider (Cinn), Tanner Morgan (Minn) or D King (Miami) in the 4th round or later.

Does that sound like something you’d do?

I’m not as high on Mac as you but his game is there!!! I think where you are with Mack I’m with Wilson and this makes sense me and you always have alittle different preference usually but I completely buy into what your saying. Also when I’m saying I’m not as high for my reasons I can look at the guys you like and see their shine. Though I’m coming around to Fields I do think he has a long throwing motion moreso then his arm speed. he can wing it but the way he holds the ball close to run or throw from when he does decide to throw I feel like it gives time to guys to close but I’m being picky. He’s electric I know that.
There is something too doubling up at a position in a draft that I’ve really seen a trend in with hits for teams. And I like a lot of the second selection guys their is juice too this class it’s about identifying their strengths and how you have to adjust and what they can improve on in your system. The only guy mentioned I don’t like is King from Miami. Love his game for the Canes not so much for the league.

19 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m not blaming him for sitting out. If he doesn’t want to risk injury then I get that. He’s proven his ability. 

He does but there’s a difference from a guy being good at something and being a guy who genuinely has a passion for something. The difference in the top 5 and top 15 is usually the passion. Why does a OBJ go in the teens and not top 5? Everyone sees talent it’s the head. A guy willing to watch his team to lose without him riding with them says something about the individual. I get early on people opting out but now we’re playing ball. Like I said he should kill a combine he has a year to train by then. But if any of them show up limp they will be knocked atleast by me and I’ll admit when they ball out that maybe I was to critical of this but me thinking as a GM interviewing these guys dont think they haven’t tried to figure out a way to uncover if they just want a check ultimately

15 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m not as high on Mac as you but his game is there!!! I think where you are with Mack I’m with Wilson and this makes sense me and you always have alittle different preference usually but I completely buy into what your saying. Also when I’m saying I’m not as high for my reasons I can look at the guys you like and see their shine. Though I’m coming around to Fields I do think he has a long throwing motion moreso then his arm speed. he can wing it but the way he holds the ball close to run or throw from when he does decide to throw I feel like it gives time to guys to close but I’m being picky. He’s electric I know that.
There is something too doubling up at a position in a draft that I’ve really seen a trend in with hits for teams. And I like a lot of the second selection guys their is juice too this class it’s about identifying their strengths and how you have to adjust and what they can improve on in your system. The only guy mentioned I don’t like is King from Miami. Love his game for the Canes not so much for the league.

I do like Zach Wilson, I’m just not sold on him yet as far as top 10 pick. He’s like Drew Lock to me or like a Jay Cutler. His talent is there, there’s just something about him that makes me pause. I really can’t explain it. If we took him, I do think he’d develop into a good starter. I put Mac Jones & Trask in that area too, but I like that Mac Jones & Trask are destroying the SEC - the best defensive conference in the nation - as Joe Borrow did last year. That means something to me.

Seeing Wilson and/or Lance do the same vs lesser competition doesn’t mean as much to me, but I do think they’ll be good but not as good right away. The reason I put Lance over Wilson is upside, I think Lance has more untapped potential than Wilson.

Still, I honestly think we’ll get a good prospect and an eventual good starter at the least if we take any of the top 6 guys:

1. Lawrence

2. Fields

3. Lance

4. Jones

5. Wilson

6. Trask

I really think they’re all either great - Lawrence & Fields - or good QB prospects, the rest of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I know we have not shot at Lawrence but I’d still be happy with Lance, Fields or Wilson. I think all three are very talented. 

What do you think of Mac Jones? Do you think he’s more of a product of the talent that’s around him? I’m torn on him. He’s really shown something since he took over for Tua and he’s progressed IMO but, I’m not totally sold that he’s top 10 worthy.

I’d love to hear the reasons you aren’t putting him in the top 10 along with @e16bball and @ripsean21’s analysis of him.

I agree with everyone that Trask is more a late 1st round talent who could fall into the 2nd round if we don’t go QB in round 1, not sure if I put Mac Jones in that range yet, I think he’s a bit better than Trask and with the way he’s performed in the SEC that makes me bump him up higher than Wilson but I think Lance has more upside than both.

Edited by turtle28

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What do you think of Mac Jones? Do you think he’s more of a product of the talent that’s around him? I’m torn on him. He’s really shown something since he took over for Tua and he’s progressed IMO but, I’m not totally sold that he’s top 10 worthy.

I’d love to hear the reasons you aren’t putting him in the top 10 along with @e16bball and @ripsean21’s analysis of him.

I agree with everyone that Trask is more a late 1st round talent who could fall into the 2nd round of we don’t go QB in round 1, not sure if I put Mac Jones in that range yet, I think he’s a bit better than Trask and with the way he’s performed in the SEC that makes me bump him up higher than Wilson but I think Lance has more upside than both.

Honestly, I just haven’t seen enough of him. 

37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Honestly, I just haven’t seen enough of him. 

I’ve really paid attention to him since Tua went down and it seems to me that the Alabama passing game hasn’t missed much since Tua went down and Mac Jones took over last November which is very promising for his NFL prospects IMO.

In 6 games this year Mac Jones is:

78.5%, 2196 yds, 16 TDs, 2 ints & a 210.3 rtg

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I agree with everyone that Trask is more a late 1st round talent who could fall into the 2nd round of we don’t go QB in round 1, not sure if I put Mac Jones in that range yet, I think he’s a bit better than Trask and with the way he’s performed in the SEC that makes me bump him up higher than Wilson but I think Lance has more upside than both.

I will admit I’ve watched him in 3 live games I haven’t gone back and focused a game play by play to breakdown his eyes reads and everything but Last year he came in and surprised me with his ability to play within the system and not make mistakes and get the ball to his guys to make plays. This year from what I’ve seen he has command of the field and might actually have expanded the playbook from the Tua packages. Tua was so great off script but had real lapses or just simply wasn’t the on script type player.

Jones has command of the offense from what I’ve seen. I know he has guys running open but when guys are covered I saw him place the ball where it had to be or he’d look away both are things some guys just never pick up. But like I said who knows what he maybe missed or how many bad decisions he’s made in games but from last year too this year he has looked the part for me.

I’ll get too him I’ve just been enjoying the Wilson tape because he is a wildcard. I think the biggest thing about Wilson will be his interview. He has IT on the field. I think if that guy eats sleeps breathes football, like the growth I’ve seen from him as a player then I think he is a lock. But I do see just those eye popping things where your just like your great but be Zach Wilson not Patty Mahomes. But he can do those type of things I think sometimes he does get alittle to loose but it’s his game. Wilson and Trask I’m almost caught up on both are playing even better then I thought so I’m excited to get to Jones and Breakdown Ridders last game to catch him up

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The one thing I’ll say is this, I don’t want a QB with a brand. Never again with that crap. The new guy needs to be the first one in and the last one out of the building. 

You want to draft a kid with high character. Most of these prospects are coached for all these team interviews and hope you find a genuine person that will give his all for the team. I guess you pretty much want a QB who has the mental makeup much like Terry McLaurin. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You want to draft a kid with high character. Most of these prospects are coached for all these team interviews and hope you find a genuine person that will give his all for the team. I guess you pretty much want a QB who has the mental makeup much like Terry McLaurin. 

That is always ideal!!! But the QB is like a goalie in hockey they are just a different type and you really can’t pick the personality what you have to be sold on is will the guys in your locker room gravitate to whatever personality they have!!! I think that’s the most important. Kyler is cocky and I think it works for that team and coach and the players they have on both sides. Everyone wants the high character guy but in all reality you want the guy that can spark the team no matter what is going on they believe he will get the win if they make the play to give him the ball back.