2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Pretty much. But a little younger. Historically a little better. And a little less of a nut case. 

It would be a risk signing a guy coming off a neck injury like that. But filling arguably our biggest non-QB hole with nothing but FA money would be a coup. And with a 31-year-old 7-time Pro Bowler (that would be leaving the Cowboys)? Could correct any bad mojo that exists from the Trent Williams thing. 

I guess they’d probably be able to trade Smith, though. Which would make it tough for us, as I doubt they’d be willing to send him here. 

I could see it. I don’t hate it either because it frees us up to pick a QB. What’s your thoughts on Wilson? I started to look into him after a few posters here mentioned him and he’s really grown on me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Pretty much. But a little younger. Historically a little better. And a little less of a nut case. 

It would be a risk signing a guy coming off a neck injury like that. But filling arguably our biggest non-QB hole with nothing but FA money would be a coup. And with a 31-year-old 7-time Pro Bowler (that would be leaving the Cowboys)? Could correct any bad mojo that exists from the Trent Williams thing. 

I guess they’d probably be able to trade Smith, though. Which would make it tough for us, as I doubt they’d be willing to send him here. 

Or he'd just play RT for them like he did at USC.

25 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If we have T Lance, P Sewell or Z Wilson available who are we taking?

Sewell for me. I obviously take the can’t-miss QB over a can’t-miss LT, but I don’t consider Wilson or Lance “can’t miss.” 

I’m not taking a QB just to take one. Everyone wants a franchise QB. But my belief is that you get long-term success out of a QB because you either drafted one of the very rare transcendent talents or because you took a good prospect and put him in a good situation. I believe there is a decent number of young QB prospects that can succeed in a good situation — but I believe there are very few who can succeed despite a bad situation. 

I don’t think either Zach Wilson or Trey Lance is one of those very rare prospects. To me, they’re both guys who are going to struggle badly if they come in with poor protection and limited weapons. So I would continue to try to build the best offense I can, and come back to QB once I felt the guys around him would provide the support and structure that greatly enhances your chances of developing a long-term winning QB. More concerned with making sure we’re doing it right than with doing it right now.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Or he'd just play RT for them like he did at USC.

They’re paying La’el Collins a load of money to do that, so I think they’d have to make a decision to let one of those guys go.

You can’t really have two OTs making $12M+ per year, as well as an OG making $17M per year, and then take another OT with a top 3 pick (and another $6-7M salary). Not when you’re looking at having to resign or second-time franchise your QB, and not when you have to rebuild almost the entire defense. 

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Sewell for me. I obviously take the can’t-miss QB over a can’t-miss LT, but I don’t consider Wilson or Lance “can’t miss.” 

I’m not taking a QB just to take one. Everyone wants a franchise QB. But my belief is that you get long-term success out of a QB because you either drafted one of the very rare transcendent talents or because you took a good prospect and put him in a good situation. I believe there is a decent number of young QB prospects that can succeed in a good situation — but I believe there are very few who can succeed despite a bad situation. 

I don’t think either Zach Wilson or Trey Lance is one of those very rare prospects. To me, they’re both guys who are going to struggle badly if they come in with poor protection and limited weapons. So I would continue to try to build the best offense I can, and come back to QB once I felt the guys around him would provide the support and structure that greatly enhances your chances of developing a long-term winning QB. More concerned with making sure we’re doing it right than with doing it right now.

I agree I’d take Sewell today. But Lance could change that with a interview. And you go OL in the second. But Sewell would be amazing for this team!!!

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In my mind, Mac Jones is ahead of Wilson, and maybe even Kyle Trask as well.  I don't see the Wilson hype train. 

I think I’ve figured you out and what you like. I can tell you like a guy that doesn’t do too much and plays within the system and puts his guys in position to let them make plays. I completely get it

41 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I could see it. I don’t hate it either because it frees us up to pick a QB. What’s your thoughts on Wilson? I started to look into him after a few posters here mentioned him and he’s really grown on me. 

I’m the same as you. Very intrigued with the kid, he’s got a lot of traits I like. Creative, a lot of moxie, sneaky arm, some really impressive downfield accuracy, good legs — there’s a lot to like there. But he’s not the first QB to be dominant with a good team around him in the MWC, and we’ve really never seen much come of those guys in the league. I’d probably take him over Lance, mostly just in the sense that’s he gotta be more pro-ready.

If we make a concerted effort to upgrade the team around him in FA and in the rest of the draft, I’d be okay with drafting him. But we can’t send him out there with this offense and expect anything but what we’ve seen from Haskins. He might have better intangibles, so the coaches might like him more — and I’m sure they’ll give him more leash as “their guy” — but I don’t see him being able to elevate this group on his own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If we have T Lance, P Sewell or Z Wilson available who are we taking?

They’ll take Wilson I think.

I’d take Sewell as I am not convinced that Wilson or Lance really deserve to be a top 10 pick but they probably will be bc they play QB.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Same here. Unless we're in a position to get a QB that is a transcendent talent, I want to build up the OL and WR, TE positions on offense. We need to still take a QB in the middle rounds, but I think that would be it. 

Also, and I can't believe I'm saying this. But even though I know the Lions backed off into zone, if Alex can continue playing like this and move the ball like he did in the 4Q, I think you roll with him as the starter next year. I don't think his final year is too prohibitive cap-wise for a starting QB and if it allows us to build up the team before we get the next QBOTF then it's a good tradeoff.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m the same as you. Very intrigued with the kid, he’s got a lot of traits I like. Creative, a lot of moxie, sneaky arm, some really impressive downfield accuracy, good legs — there’s a lot to like there. But he’s not the first QB to be dominant with a good team around him in the MWC, and we’ve really never seen much come of those guys in the league. I’d probably take him over Lance, mostly just in the sense that’s he gotta be more pro-ready.

If we make a concerted effort to upgrade the team around him in FA and in the rest of the draft, I’d be okay with drafting him. But we can’t send him out there with this offense and expect anything but what we’ve seen from Haskins. He might have better intangibles, so the coaches might like him more — and I’m sure they’ll give him more leash as “their guy” — but I don’t see him being able to elevate this group on his own.

I do think the pick would be Sewell if Lawrence and Fields go one and two. I’d be pretty excited to have him but I’d want them to make a real run at Smith-Schuster and Jonnu Smith if available. I know they won’t or they’ll make some half-hearted effort and claim it just got out of their price range but maybe you add these pieces and then end up in a position to draft Howell in 2022. Who knows? 

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Same here. Unless we're in a position to get a QB that is a transcendent talent, I want to build up the OL and WR, TE positions on offense. We need to still take a QB in the middle rounds, but I think that would be it. 

Also, and I can't believe I'm saying this. But even though I know the Lions backed off into zone, if Alex can continue playing like this and move the ball like he did in the 4Q, I think you roll with him as the starter next year. I don't think his final year is too prohibitive cap-wise for a starting QB and if it allows us to build up the team before we get the next QBOTF then it's a good tradeoff.

I honestly think a second-tier QB like Newman would be ready to roll in Year 2 with a year as the understudy to Alex Smith, with Zampese as the QB coach.  

It really depends on what this team wants to do, and I admit, I have no idea what to think or expect after the abrupt change in direction a few weeks ago. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Alex makes $24 million next year & 26 million in 2022. That’s a lot of money for at best good QB play from a 37 & 38 year old QB but it will be a good story I guess.