2021 NFL Draft Thread

I still don’t see how we don’t end up with Fields, Lance or Wilson? Kyle Allen isn’t the future. Dwayne won’t be on the team next year and Alex maybe has a good season or two left by Alex standards. I really don’t want to trade up but I’m also not totally sold Jacksonville won’t pick Sewell and Dallas isn’t picking a QB. I do think we’ll lose the rest of our games as the team just is so young and makes so many mistakes. Fields will be the pick. I really have warmed up to Wilson and I think Lance might end up being the best of the bunch but Rivera will take Fields. 

The concerns with Fields are on full display right now. Struggling under a little bit under pressure, struggling with better coverage guys that aren’t letting his guys run free, making some bad decisions right now. 

Everybody is allowed a bad quarter here and there, especially when you’ve been impeccable as he has all year. But this is what gives me pause about QBs from these football factory schools, and that includes Trevor Lawrence — the game they're playing is just easier than it is for other guys. They’ve got better receivers, a better run game, better protection, and honestly better coaching/schemes than everyone else.

Is their insane production the result of their personal greatness, or is it just the inevitable result of the superior talent? When you look at things like Uiagalelei stepping in for Lawrence and Jones taking over for Tua and the succession of Oklahoma Heisman contenders and even Fields taking over for Haskins — and none of these teams missing much of a beat — it does get a little concerning that we’re evaluating QB prospects on the quality of their program instead of the quality of their own individual talent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The concerns with Fields are on full display right now. Struggling under a little bit under pressure, struggling with better coverage guys that aren’t letting his guys run free, making some bad decisions right now. 

Everybody is allowed a bad quarter here and there, especially when you’ve been impeccable as he has all year. But this is what gives me pause about QBs from these football factory schools, and that includes Trevor Lawrence — the game they're playing is just easier than it is for other guys. They’ve got better receivers, a better run game, better protection, and honestly better coaching/schemes than everyone else.

Is their insane production the result of their personal greatness, or is it just the inevitable result of the superior talent? When you look at things like Uiagalelei stepping in for Lawrence and Jones taking over for Tua and the succession of Oklahoma Heisman contenders and even Fields taking over for Haskins — and none of these teams missing much of a beat — it does get a little concerning that we’re evaluating QB prospects on the quality of their program instead of the quality of their own individual talent. 

Totally agree. Fields not looking like the 2nd pick of the draft. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

57 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I still don’t see how we don’t end up with Fields, Lance or Wilson? Kyle Allen isn’t the future. Dwayne won’t be on the team next year and Alex maybe has a good season or two left by Alex standards. I really don’t want to trade up but I’m also not totally sold Jacksonville won’t pick Sewell and Dallas isn’t picking a QB. I do think we’ll lose the rest of our games as the team just is so young and makes so many mistakes. Fields will be the pick. I really have warmed up to Wilson and I think Lance might end up being the best of the bunch but Rivera will take Fields. 

I just can’t see us losing to Dallas. Obviously it’s the NFL and I know things change week to week, but...I don’t know that there’s any reason to expect one team to be totally and thoroughly dominant against an opponent one week, and then come back a couple weeks later and get beat. Not without something major changing, and I don’t think Zack Martin being back is enough to totally shift the balance of power there. Particularly when taking into account that we’re almost certainly better with Smith compared to Allen. 

I think we’ll learn a lot about how bad we actually are tomorrow. Detroit was our first game outside the division in a long while, and for 3 quarters we looked a bit overmatched by a really mediocre team. If Cincinnati handles us, then I think it’s safe to assume we probably won’t be winning outside the division, which makes 3-4 wins the ceiling. If we beat the Bengals, I think you’d have to consider us at least a possibility to beat Carolina as well, and then we’re looking at the possibility of the 5-6 wins I’ve been expecting/worrying about for a while. 

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The whole problem with Fields is he is so rarely exposed to pressure that he is an unknown.  Most highschool qbs would look good in that offense.  Playing behind such a good offense may have actually hurt his growth because if he has to suddenly face it in the NFL he is going to have a hell of a time making the transition to less time, more complex defenses and lots more pressure.  

He would probably be a complete utter disaster behind our oline.

Edited by offbyone

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

The whole problem with Fields is he is so rarely exposed to pressure that he is an unknown.  Most highschool qbs would look good in that offense.  Playing behind such a good offense may have actually hurt his growth because if he has to suddenly face it in the NFL he is going to have a hell of a time making the transition to less time, more complex defenses and lots more pressure.  

He would probably be a complete utter disaster behind our oline.

I think he’s better equipped to compete early than Haskins was, solely because his legs will allow him to make plays when his head/arm aren’t clicking.

But I don’t believe he’s any more capable of handling the NFL passing game than Haskins was. Mechanics are better of course, but the processing seems slower. A fair amount slower, actually.

I think if you’re going to take him, you have to strongly consider the Mahomes treatment. I feel the same way about Lance too, of course. Exceptional raw talents, but they need a huge long-term investment in the mental aspect of the NFL passing game. Patience is going to be huge for enhancing the long-term potential of those guys.

• Like 1

The Ohio State OL is allowing free runners. It’s unacceptable. Thankfully, Fields started taking off and running rather than taking sacks or forcing balls, he adjusted after two bad series. I also blame playcalling, as Joe Klatt said, the first drive OSU threw it deep and downfield with ease and then they just thought Indiana wouldn’t adjust, but they did. Indiana started blitzing and the OSU line wasn’t picking up the blitz era. Then, OSU started running the ball, the started throwing quicker passes.

70% pressures from Indiana & Ryan Day continuing long developing routes which led to the bad few drives in a row and the INTs. OSU & Fields adjusted though by running the ball and throwing quicker passes.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The Ohio State OL is allowing free runners. It’s unacceptable. Thankfully, Fields started taking off and running rather than taking sacks or forcing balls, he adjusted after two bad series. I also blame playcalling, as Joe Klatt said, the first drive OSU threw it deep and downfield with ease and then they just thought Indiana wouldn’t adjust, but they did. Indiana started blitzing and the OSU line wasn’t picking up the blitz era. Then, OSU started running the ball, the started throwing quicker passes.

70% pressures from Indiana & Ryan Day continuing long developing routes which led to the bad few drives in a row and the INTs. OSU & Fields adjusted though by running the ball and throwing quicker passes.

Dwayne Haskins would be winning but 4 touchdowns...

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think he’s better equipped to compete early than Haskins was, solely because his legs will allow him to make plays when his head/arm aren’t clicking.

But I don’t believe he’s any more capable of handling the NFL passing game than Haskins was. Mechanics are better of course, but the processing seems slower. A fair amount slower, actually.

I think if you’re going to take him, you have to strongly consider the Mahomes treatment. I feel the same way about Lance too, of course. Exceptional raw talents, but they need a huge long-term investment in the mental aspect of the NFL passing game. Patience is going to be huge for enhancing the long-term potential of those guys.

+1

I think this is very good assessment.  My problem is it is a big risk to take a guy like as a top 3 pick when he is a project.  The slow throwing motion is a big problem too.  This staff has also showed a lack of patience, but I guess we assume that is because haskins wasn't their guy.

This should put the Haskins pick in perspective.  You are always taking a risk with a 1st round qb.  And you almost always have to take a degree of risk.  But there are levels of risk.  In a sense Haskins was a much lower risk.  A top 3 pick versus #15 is a huge difference.  Haskins was taken at a point where being a bit of a project and needing to be patient is ok.  There is a huge difference in the pressure and expectations to see success and quick success with a top 3 pick.  One thing I do like about Haskins is when he is under duress he doesn't fall apart.  This is a question mark with Fields.

This qb class after Lawrence is filled with question marks.