2021 NFL Draft Thread

I was watching Iowa St. and was impressed with their QB. I decided to look on YouTube if there were any analysis of Brock Purdy. I found this clip and was even more impressed. I know he doesn’t have the typical QB size but this kid can play the position. Footwork is awesome, plays with anticipation and very accurate. If you guys are interested, take a look!

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I was watching Iowa St. and was impressed with their QB. I decided to look on YouTube if there were any analysis of Brock Purdy. I found this clip and was even more impressed. I know he doesn’t have the typical QB size but this kid can play the position. Footwork is awesome, plays with anticipation and very accurate. If you guys are interested, take a look!

If we are taking 2 QBs he’s one I’d take in the mid rounds - one of my favorites in that range. 

2 hours ago, Troublez said:

Dwayne Haskins would be winning but 4 touchdowns...

Not vs that defense. Dwayne didn’t handle pressure well either. Go back and watch Dwayne’s loss vs Purdue in 2018, he was inaccurate and pretty awful that game bc Purdue got after him. I didn’t think that would be a precursor to the way Haskins’s career would start, but it was.

Fields did not play well today. It’s the worse game I’ve ever seen him play. Not recognizing free blitzers, slow to process, overthrowing open receivers, and indecisive. Really the whole team but Olave and Teague played poorly.

We could probably get Shawn Wade as a mid round draft pick now, he’s been burnt as much this year as me in Vegas!

Ohio State’s secondary is some kind of awful! They’re going to get smoked in the CFBP just like they did by Penix, Fryfogle & the other Indiana WRs.

Edited by turtle28

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Fields did not play well today. It’s the worse game I’ve ever seen him play. Not recognizing free blitzers, slow to process, overthrowing open receivers, and indecisive. Really the whole team but Olave and Teague played poorly.

We could probably get Shawn Wade as a mid round draft pick now, he’s been hurt as much this year as me in Vegas!

Ohio State’s secondary is some kind of awful! They’re going to get smoked in the CFBP just like they did by Penix, Fryfogle & the other Indiana WRs.

I’m starting to go all in on Wilson. I know @e16bball isn’t his biggest fan and I very much value E’s opinion but it just reminds me of the Burrow thing last year. Dude just comes out of nowhere and looks the part. He seems to have it all. I’m starting to wonder now if he ends up ahead of Fields? 

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I love watching these QB School things with JT. You get a limited look at the guy, in terms of a one game sample, but it’s super detailed and I love the way he breaks the play down slowly and gives you a lot of looks at it. It really helps see things from the perspective of the QB. He sure sucked as an NFL QB 😂 but he’s got a real knack for this type of thing. 

Anyway, Purdy is kind of a poor man’s Zach Wilson to me. They have a similar sort of game, with some creativity and some legs and some quick decisions. Plenty of moxie in both of them too. The weaknesses are also similar, in terms of size and arm strength, as Purdy is even weaker in those areas than Wilson. I also don’t think he has the sort of accuracy and ability to throw consistently outside the numbers, and he definitely shares Wilson’s propensity for dangerous plays at times. 

He’s a day 3 guy for me, someone that you’re looking at as a quality backup/spot starter. Just doesn’t have the physical upside to be a good NFL starter, in my view. I think there’s a good chance he sticks around for a lot of years, though — working with Matt Campbell has clearly put him way ahead of the curve from a technical/fundamental standpoint, although the regression this year is concerning. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m starting to go all in on Wilson. I know @e16bball isn’t his biggest fan and I very much value E’s opinion but it just reminds me of the Burrow thing last year. Dude just comes out of nowhere and looks the part. He seems to have it all. I’m starting to wonder now if he ends up ahead of Fields? 

Maybe, but Fields just played his toughest defense of this season until/if they get into the CFBP and play Clemson or Alabama. Indiana’s D is really good. Fields & OSU just passed their toughest test in the conference I think - well maybe Wisconsin in the Big10 Championship - but still, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Fields the rest of the way revert back to the guy who had more TDs than incompletions the rest of the season except vs Wisconsin & in the CFBP.

I really, really think Wilson is running up stats on awful competition. I do like his game, just wonder if he was playing a tougher conference if things would be different.

Edited by turtle28

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’s 3 on my QB board, so I’m not a hater!

I really like everything I’m seeing from him, he’s been sensational — it’s more an issue of what I haven’t seen, which is (a) more than a season of this level and (b) him doing this against a defense that can match his offensive talent. Boise State was the toughest test so far (by far), and he was great against them of course. So he’s definitely rising way up the board for me.

But I really would love to see them add a Power 5 team or at least make it to a New Year’s Bowl so we can see him challenged by a defense that can keep up with his guys. That would be a lot of fun to watch, and could make him (or lose him?) a ton of money. 

4 hours ago, Troublez said:

I am somewhat confused as to why Kyle Trask isn't getting more favor with the scouts. 

I think it’s the combo of limited mobility and fringy arm strength. It kind of puts a ceiling on what he can accomplish in today’s NFL game. 

That’s not to say you can’t succeed in the NFL without both legs and a big arm. But you’ve really got to be elite in all the other areas: accuracy, touch, intelligence, quick release, etc. And that’s an awful lot to ask of a young kid, to come in and immediately be at least above average in each of those areas. He’s got very solid accuracy and really impressive touch, but it’s a different kind of monster to immediately grasp a full passing scheme (including protections) in the NFL from a mental standpoint.

To me, he’s the kind of guy best served by going to a good team with an aging star QB coming back for one more ride. Whether that’s TB or NO or PIT or IND, I think that’s where he needs to be. It’s weird, because I also think that’s the best fit for someone like Lance, and they’re on absolute opposite ends of the spectrum as players — but to me, Trask is going to need an established team with quality talent around him AND some time to keep learning, because he’s going to need to be extremely prepared and outstanding in the mental game, given his physical shortcomings. As the heir apparent to a guy like Brees or Brady, in a very well established offensive system with good players to distribute the ball to, I think that’s his best shot to become a very good starter. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1