2021 NFL Draft Thread

On 11/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, lavar703 said:

I love Lance. He reminds me a lot of Josh Allen. Not highly recruited, went to a smaller school and flourished. Both are extremely athletic, big and have powerful arms. I know people are scared of him but I think he has all the ability in the world. But passing on Parsons would be tough. I just think they’ll take him if he’s available 

I mean I think they are going BPA. I think Lance and Wilson from BYU both have the throw on the run, arm strength and Just that swag/confidence this staff is looking for. I love Lance I’m not scared of a prospect. I do tend to knock a guy for the lack of starting experience but this guy would have played a season if it was a possibility I can’t knock that.

I feel like Lance has better more consistent placement on his passes throws from a better base but can also make across the body just off schedule off axis throws. As can Wilson they have the modern day magic QB’s are excelling in the league with.These two are the ones I’m most intrigued by for this team. I just don’t think we’re in Fields Lawrence range and I think both of these guys have what it takes to be just as good especially because they won’t be going to a team in the top 5 atleast currently I don’t have them there

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean I think they are going BPA. I think Lance and Wilson from BYU both have the throw on the run, arm strength and Just that swag/confidence this staff is looking for. I love Lance I’m not scared of a prospect. I do tend to knock a guy for the lack of starting experience but this guy would have played a season if it was a possibility I can’t knock that.

I feel like Lance has better more consistent placement on his passes throws from a better base but can also make across the body just off schedule off axis throws. As can Wilson they have the modern day magic QB’s are excelling in the league with.These two are the ones I’m most intrigued by for this team. I just don’t think we’re in Fields Lawrence range and I think both of these guys have what it takes to be just as good especially because they won’t be going to a team in the top 5 atleast currently I don’t have them there

Yup. I've watched him quite a bit (including last year's FCS Championship where the JMU DC apparently forgot to put a spy on him) and he's an impressive prospect. The only reason I discount him is the only 1 year of starting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

The thing I’m most intrigued about Lance is his athletic ability gives him the chance to be the best of the bunch much like Allen has become. Now I highly doubt that happens but I think he’s either going to be extremely good and fail miserably. I don’t think there will be a middle ground for him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The thing I’m most intrigued about Lance is his athletic ability gives him the chance to be the best of the bunch much like Allen has become. Now I highly doubt that happens but I think he’s either going to be extremely good and fail miserably. I don’t think there will be a middle ground for him. 

The league seems to be shifting towards athletic QBs, or at least QBs that can throw on the move.  That is another reason why the Haskins pick was so terrible.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The league seems to be shifting towards athletic QBs, or at least QBs that can throw on the move.  That is another reason why the Haskins pick was so terrible.  

Yep, I’ve noticed that as well. It’s unfortunate for Haskins but I’m not sure what can be done for him at this point other than giving him a fresh start with a team willing to invest the time in him? We’re clearly not that organization and Rivera soured on him early so it’s not repairable. I think we’ll be going QB in the first round but that’s my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yep, I’ve noticed that as well. It’s unfortunate for Haskins but I’m not sure what can be done for him at this point other than giving him a fresh start with a team willing to invest the time in him? We’re clearly not that organization and Rivera soured on him early so it’s not repairable. I think we’ll be going QB in the first round but that’s my opinion. 

Well dropping that extra weight he was carrying probably helped.  I think we saw him scramble a few times this year, they weren't anything amazing but I don't think he would have been able to even do that last year in the shape he was in.  

How much time do you believe Lance will be given? It certainly would help that he was Rivera’s pick — presumably buying him a little more time — but the plug was pulled on Haskins after 11 starts. 

So let’s take the Josh Allen comparison. In the process we’ll ignore that Allen played two full seasons as a starter (double Lance’s experience) and played in an FBS conference, and we’ll treat them as equally prepared. Looking at Allen’s first 16 games, you get the following line:

258/451 (54.9%), 2977 yards (6.6 Y/A), 13 TDs, 18 INTs, 68.4 passer rating. The rushing numbers we know were good (720 yards and 11 TDs), but he did fumble the ball 14 times as well. 

Does Lance keep his job here with a 68.4 rating through the first season’s worth of games? With a completion rate lower than 55% and significantly more INTs than passing TDs? 

I’m not convinced that’s the case, and I’m also not remotely convinced that he’s as ready to play as Josh Allen (who wasn’t remotely ready to play). At least Allen had some adversity at Wyoming — his whole offense basically graduated after his first season, he was an absolute one-man band the next year. Lance is basically playing point guard on an FCS all-star team that is better than every opponent at basically every position. He hasn’t been challenged at all, he’s throwing to wide open receivers and running by/through grossly outmanned defenders. 

I like the kid, I see why people like him. He’s got quite an arm and he can clearly run. With the bigger frame he showed in this season’s game, he looked like Dak Prescott. If they take him, and they seem to have a cogent and coherent plan about how they’re going to develop him, I’ll be excited and ready to root for him to be great. But this is a franchise that struggles to make layups — and now we’re all excited to have them try their hand at what amounts to a contested step-back 30-foot buzzer beater, in developing an FCS kid with one year as a starter?

• Like 2

Just a couple other somewhat related comments here, am I the only one not sold on Josh Allen yet? Not saying I’m a “hater” or anything like that, but after that 4-game barrage he came out on, his next 4 games have been pretty pedestrian: 79 passer rating, 5 TDs to 5 turnovers, less than 19 PPG, and a couple losses to go with a couple really unimpressive wins (by 8 over NYJ and by 3 over NE). They’re not exactly reinventing the wheel from a scheme standpoint up there, eventually the league catches up with you. Will be interesting to see how he’s able to adjust. 

The other thing is about Lance and his performance in the one game this season. Obviously, really weird scenario where they’re only playing the one game after an unusual offseason. But can you watch this performance, against Central Arkansas, and feel great about taking this guy top 10? He ran the ball excellently, but he was way off throwing the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Just a couple other somewhat related comments here, am I the only one not sold on Josh Allen yet? Not saying I’m a “hater” or anything like that, but after that 4-game barrage he came out on, his next 4 games have been pretty pedestrian: 79 passer rating, 5 TDs to 5 turnovers, less than 19 PPG, and a couple losses to go with a couple really unimpressive wins (by 8 over NYJ and by 3 over NE). They’re not exactly reinventing the wheel from a scheme standpoint up there, eventually the league catches up with you. Will be interesting to see how he’s able to adjust. 

The other thing is about Lance and his performance in the one game this season. Obviously, really weird scenario where they’re only playing the one game after an unusual offseason. But can you watch this performance, against Central Arkansas, and feel great about taking this guy top 10? He ran the ball excellently, but he was way off throwing the ball.

Yup. He had no tune-up games at all. That was UCA's 3rd or 4th game. Not much in the way of practicing before it either. It literally was his worst game he had played at NDSU. I don't put it all on this game. But I also won't ignore it either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Or Carson Wentz like...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

With you per usual 

I would say if Rivera drafts Lance, he’ll get a longer leash than Haskins did just bc of the fact that Rivera drafted him. So yeah, even if he’s as poor as Allen was his first year, Rivera will give Lance more time to develop than he gave Haskins. Same with any QB Rivera drafts. I mean Kyle Allen is the blueprint for that answer already.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

How much time do you believe Lance will be given? It certainly would help that he was Rivera’s pick — presumably buying him a little more time — but the plug was pulled on Haskins after 11 starts. 

So let’s take the Josh Allen comparison. In the process we’ll ignore that Allen played two full seasons as a starter (double Lance’s experience) and played in an FBS conference, and we’ll treat them as equally prepared. Looking at Allen’s first 16 games, you get the following line:

258/451 (54.9%), 2977 yards (6.6 Y/A), 13 TDs, 18 INTs, 68.4 passer rating. The rushing numbers we know were good (720 yards and 11 TDs), but he did fumble the ball 14 times as well. 

Does Lance keep his job here with a 68.4 rating through the first season’s worth of games? With a completion rate lower than 55% and significantly more INTs than passing TDs? 

I’m not convinced that’s the case, and I’m also not remotely convinced that he’s as ready to play as Josh Allen (who wasn’t remotely ready to play). At least Allen had some adversity at Wyoming — his whole offense basically graduated after his first season, he was an absolute one-man band the next year. Lance is basically playing point guard on an FCS all-star team that is better than every opponent at basically every position. He hasn’t been challenged at all, he’s throwing to wide open receivers and running by/through grossly outmanned defenders. 

I like the kid, I see why people like him. He’s got quite an arm and he can clearly run. With the bigger frame he showed in this season’s game, he looked like Dak Prescott. If they take him, and they seem to have a cogent and coherent plan about how they’re going to develop him, I’ll be excited and ready to root for him to be great. But this is a franchise that struggles to make layups — and now we’re all excited to have them try their hand at what amounts to a contested step-back 30-foot buzzer beater, in developing an FCS kid with one year as a starter?

E, I think we all knew there was going to be issues when O’Connell was pushed out the door. I worried about that a lot and then the trade for Kyle Allen worried me as well although it was a small investment and didn’t bother me much at the time. I think Rivera made Haskins the start to appease Snyder and then had every intention of pulling him. We have no idea what kind of grade he had on him while with Carolina so sorta like the rumors that Guice was going to get cut either way because of the Panthers having removed him completely from their draft board maybe his mind was made up in Haskins before he took the job? 

As far as Lance goes, he’d be Rivera’s guy so the leash would be much longer. He pretty much lost his job because he wouldn’t bench Kyle Allen so if he believes in a guy it’s obvious he’ll give him a chance. I do worry about Lance moving up to a much higher level of competition but we’ve tried everything else and it’s failed. I just don’t see how Rivera can punt another season with Kyle Allen making us mediocre enough to miss out on top talents but keeping us from truly contending as well? Rivera has to know that too. We’re playing ourselves out of Fields territory but Lance I think would be available as well as the kid from BYU but at that point we’re talking passing on Parsons and Jamarre Chase potentially which I’m not sure they would do? I also stand by my belief that they have to get Allen off of this roster so it stops the temptation of Rivera to play him much like Jay did with Colt. You can’t have him here undermining the development of whoever we draft but that’s just me. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think Josh Allen has a injured left shoulder. He got hurt week 4 came back out with a sleeve and has had it since. And he is struggling now because he’s not throwing with the same motion he had the first 4 weeks. I’ve been watching them a lot. His form is off and he’s missing guys high and he’s been doing that since he came back into the game he hurt it. Could be a collarbone injury.

But Lance has concerns. He drives a lot of passes he needs to work on his touch as did Allen. Guys with big arms tend to need work on these things coming out. But I’m really digging on the last season and a half for Zach Wilson!!! This dudes foreal!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I think Josh Allen has a injured left shoulder. He got hurt week 4 came back out with a sleeve and has had it since. And he is struggling now because he’s not throwing with the same motion he had the first 4 weeks. I’ve been watching them a lot. His form is off and he’s missing guys high and he’s been doing that since he came back into the game he hurt it. Could be a collarbone injury.

But Lance has concerns. He drives a lot of passes he needs to work on his touch as did Allen. Guys with big arms tend to need work on these things coming out. But I’m really digging on the last season and a half for Zach Wilson!!! This dudes foreal!!

Wilson for the win! Take Oline in the first

package our 2nd and the 3rd from San Fran and move up for wilson

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Wilson for the win! Take Oline in the first

package our 2nd and the 3rd from San Fran and move up for wilson

Fwiw, I think Wilson goes top 5-10 if he continues at this pace. Don't think he'll be around at the end of the 1st.