2021 NFL Draft Thread

Right now, the Jets, Giants, Jaguars, Falcons and Cowboys are potential teams in front of us that might take a QB. I’d say the Falcons and Cowboys don’t. I wouldn’t expect the Giants to pick one either so that leaves the Jets and Jaguars competing with us for Lawrence, Fields or Lance. I refuse to believe they’ll go into next season with Allen as the starter so I’d assume at the moment we’re in the Trey Lance business. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Right now, the Jets, Giants, Jaguars, Falcons and Cowboys are potential teams in front of us that might take a QB. I’d say the Falcons and Cowboys don’t. I wouldn’t expect the Giants to pick one either so that leaves the Jets and Jaguars competing with us for Lawrence, Fields or Lance. I refuse to believe they’ll go into next season with Allen as the starter so I’d assume at the moment we’re in the Trey Lance business. 

Could be Kyle Allen vs Kyle Trask next August. I don’t think so though. I think we’ll end up with a top 5 pick and be picking Fields or Lance.

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I refuse to believe they’ll go into next season with Allen as the starter so I’d assume at the moment we’re in the Trey Lance business. 

And so the cycle will continue on and on. 

Drafting a kid who isn’t ready to be the savior, throwing him out there and begging him to be the savior, watching him flounder because he’s in over his head, giving up on him because he’s failed to be the immediate savior, and moving to look for another savior. 

Add in the franchise’s constant quest for mediocrity, which ensures that the kids we’re drafting are second-tier (or lower) talents — and are surrounded by mediocre supporting casts — and you’ve pretty much got the last 25 years of the franchise in a nutshell. 

You either have to be willing to totally bottom out for a blue chip talent (they evidently aren’t) or patient enough to play with a placeholder QB while you build up an elite non-QB talent base (they haven’t been). If they’re out of the running for Lawrence and Fields, as I believe they are, I think they need to spend this coming offseason stocking the offense with as much talent as possible, with the idea being to create a strong core that a 2022 QB can lean on from day one. If that means Kyle Allen or someone similar keeps the seat warm until then, so be it. 

• Like 3

I should add, I think Lance seems like a talented guy. I just don’t think him coming here to play immediately with a hugely limited offensive unit is ever going to work. There aren’t many kids coming out of college who can succeed with bad rosters, and I think there’s almost zero chance he’s one of them.

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Drafting a kid who isn’t ready to be the savior, throwing him out there and begging him to be the savior, watching him flounder because he’s in over his head, giving up on him because he’s failed to be the immediate savior, and moving to look for another savior. 

Add in the franchise’s constant quest for mediocrity, which ensures that the kids we’re drafting are second-tier (or lower) talents — and are surrounded by mediocre supporting casts — and you’ve pretty much got the last 25 years of the franchise in a nutshell. 

You either have to be willing to totally bottom out for a blue chip talent (they evidently aren’t) or patient enough to play with a placeholder QB while you build up an elite non-QB talent base (they haven’t been). If they’re out of the running for Lawrence and Fields, as I believe they are, I think they need to spend this coming offseason stocking the offense with as much talent as possible, with the idea being to create a strong core that a 2022 QB can lean on from day one. If that means Kyle Allen or someone similar keeps the seat warm until then, so be it. 

But why are we taking Lance out of the equation? Is it because he plays at NDSU? Is it because you think he’s a project? I wouldn’t disagree. Honestly, I’m just curious E. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I should add, I think Lance seems like a talented guy. I just don’t think him coming here to play immediately with a hugely limited offensive unit is ever going to work. There aren’t many kids coming out of college who can succeed with bad rosters, and I think there’s almost zero chance he’s one of them.

With Allen here, we shouldn’t have to worry that he’ll start right away. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

They absolutely could go into next season with Allen as the starter.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So we’re going to waste the first two years of a new regime on Kyle Allen? 

Well, since this regime specifically traded for Kyle Allen as one of their very first moves, why would that be surprising?

Edited by Woz

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Or they start getting as many picks as the can so they can do like your saying get the OL and TE WR whatever it is build the offensive side up but we can throw a dart if there’s a mid round guy worth trying for. I think this is more the direction we will be heading I just think we play out of top 5 and as y’all say the dynamic QB prospects.

47 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So we’re going to waste the first two years of a new regime on Kyle Allen? 

Rivera said this was a multi year rebuild.  The smart way to do the rebuild would be to construct a competent roster and then bring a rookie QB in. 

• Like 1