2021 NFL Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Getting beat up by WFT football for 25+ years takes a lot of the fun out of things @.Buzz. Sarcasm and fun are hard to get through here. You're a Jags fan afterall, you should know as well as anyone!

Ive learned you gotta do something to make the dark days pass. If you can't laugh at it/crack jokes then it's even more depressing.

1 hour ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

This team needs to improve in the trenches. Their offensive line has been horrible and their DL is way overrated. The best way for a bad but young team to improve, without having a franchise QB, is to control the line of scrimmage.

Yes, and we'll have a chance to improve our LT position or draft a QB prospect with our top 5 pick. I don't think our DL is way overrated. Sweat & Young are DEs with sky high potential. Jon Allen, Payne and Settle are stout run defenders. We miss Ioannidis as our rotational/nickel interior pass rusher. Allen, Settle and Payne aren't as good interior pass rusher as Ioannidis. I actually think they should use Kerrigan as a 3rd and long interior pass rusher to replace what they've lost due to Ioannidis's injury.

• Like 2

Fields off to a rollicking start.

I’ve been watching a lot of him lately, I’m more impressed than I expected to be. His talent level is outrageous. But he has the same problem that you get with all these guys playing in great schemes with superior talent — how does what he’s doing translate to the next level where you have to do much much more than you have to do to win at Ohio State? There’s not a lot of reads going on, the primary play design is winning almost every time he drops back to throw (or he’s pulling it down and killing them with his legs). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Fields off to a rollicking start.

I’ve been watching a lot of him lately, I’m more impressed than I expected to be. His talent level is outrageous. But he has the same problem that you get with all these guys playing in great schemes with superior talent — how does what he’s doing translate to the next level where you have to do much much more than you have to do to win at Ohio State? There’s not a lot of reads going on, the primary play design is winning almost every time he drops back to throw (or he’s pulling it down and killing them with his legs). 

The good thing for him is his athletic will buy him the time he needs to develop as a passer, theoretically. I like him and I think there’s a chance he ends up a better pro than Lawrence, albeit a small chance. Fields is deadly accurate though and we’ve badly needed that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The one thing I notice with Fields that does scare me is how long he holds the ball. He doesn’t come close to being touched and he just sits there. 

Yeah, that’s a concern. He often waits until receivers come open rather then throwing them open. The only time I’ve seen him do more throwing receivers open and having to get the ball out quick was when Ohio State played Clemson in the CFBP last year.

One thing that made Aikman a very good QB was his accuracy. I know he had a dominant o line and Emmitt Smith but he wasn’t a great athlete. Accuracy + great athlete is a nice combo. QB is very hard to predict when transitioning from College to the NFL. Most QB’s that are drafted in the first round for the last 20 years aren’t that good. Percentage is not good. Handful are awesome, have to get lucky. 

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

One thing that made Aikman a very good QB was his accuracy. I know he had a dominant o line and Emmitt Smith but he wasn’t a great athlete. Accuracy + great athlete is a nice combo. QB is very hard to predict when transitioning from College to the NFL. Most QB’s that are drafted in the first round for the last 20 years aren’t that good. Percentage is not good. Handful are awesome, have to get lucky. 

That’s where you have to pay attention to a QBs form and what kind of throws they are making. If a QB is throwing WRs open and into tighter windows more often than not, that’s the type that will most likely be successful in the pros.

If the QB is mostly throwing to wide open receivers all the time and never into tight windows - like RG3 in college - then it becomes hard to project if they’re going to be a good pocket passer in the pros w/o being a dual threat QB like Lamar Jackson is and like RG3 was when he was healthy.

Looks like a pipe dream for us to get Trevor Lawrence. I don’t see any game that the Jets have a shot at winning. Looks like Sewell, Fields, Lance, maybe Chase or trade down. 

Possible Scenarios:

1. Sewell and QB (Trask,Newman,Wilson)

2. Sewell and Jackson Carman/Jalen Mayfield 

3. Fields and Jackson Carman/Jalen Mayfield 

4. Chase and QB (Trask,Newman,Wilson)

5. Lance and Jackson Carman/Jalen Mayfield 

6. Sewell/Fields/Lance/Chase and a TE

Or Trade Down and gathering more picks. 

• Like 1

Really sad Jaylen Waddle broke his ankle on the opening kick off today. If he still comes out, that may drop him until the late first round or even an early second round pick.

My mock draft currently is this:

Round 1: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Round 2: Dylan Moses, MLB, Alabama

Round 3: Pat F., TE, Penn State

Round 3 (TWill Trade): Ar’Darius Washington, FS, TCU

Round 3 (Haskins trade): Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn

Round 4: Alijah Vera-Tucker, OG, USC

Round 5: Erroll Thompson, MLB, Miss. St.

Round 6: Donovan Stiner, S, Florida

Round 7: Kylin Hill, RB, Miss. St.

Edited by turtle28

On 10/23/2020 at 3:45 PM, A TRAIN 89 said:

This team needs to improve in the trenches. Their offensive line has been horrible and their DL is way overrated. The best way for a bad but young team to improve, without having a franchise QB, is to control the line of scrimmage.

It is the first year we are switching defensive fronts.  And our LBers are terrible, as well as our safeties.  Teams know that they need to get the ball out quick to neutralize our DL, too.  I wouldn't read too much into that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It is the first year we are switching defensive fronts.  And our LBers are terrible, as well as our safeties.  Teams know that they need to get the ball out quick to neutralize our DL, too.  I wouldn't read too much into that.  

beyonce knows GIF

Exactly