2021 NFL Draft Thread

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Pitts isn’t playing, I think that was maybe the backup TE Gamble? 

Pitts, Toney, and Grimes all opted out of this game. And Copeland can’t play due to COVID. So Trask is super-shorthanded. Almost an impossible situation for any kid to succeed in, especially without a ton of notice — but it kinda hurts when the primary (negative) narrative about you is folks wondering if you would be nearly as good without your star weapons. 

Wow, didn’t know that, well that makes some sense as to why he had a bad game but still, he should’ve been better than he was, he forced too many balls.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

A lot depends on the combine and the pro days etc but I do agree Trask is likely to go 2nd round. I’m not sure if he falls all the way to the 3rd round, but it’s possible.

I mean I’m a pretty vocal “hater” for Trask but I say that in the light of if I’m making the picks round 3 is when I’d consider it. Composure under pressure and out routes are some of the only things you really get to see that look like what professional windows will be like in college. If he throws late in the pros he’s going to look like Peterman. But when he is in rythm he puts the ball where it needs to be. But he’s predetermining a lot and that’s a huge pet peeve of mine as well. I believe a team takes Trask before the 3rd because this year there are a ton of QB needy teams. But I would caution patience for this team even though week 3 next season everyone’s gonna be why didn’t we take ABC but we can’t afford to force a selection. I’m actually higher on guys rated a lot lower then Trask

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

@Troublez You gotta get in here buddy. You hammered Fields so you have to do the same thing to Trask after that performance lol

Well I think you’ve said multiple times you expect us to take Lance I have felt like he was going to be on our roster since watching him last year just because what I think Kyle values. Then we hired Ron and I almost wrote it in pen lol Fields could also fall and Ron will like him as well I’ve been vocal about fields in the top 3 but he is a beast and wherever our natural selection is win or lose I’d take him because he is worth trying to develop his game at that point for sure. But fields should be gone too 7 for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

A lot depends on the combine and the pro days etc but I do agree Trask is likely to go 2nd round. I’m not sure if he falls all the way to the 3rd round, but it’s possible.

He won't fall to the 3rd.  But the second is a good spot for him.  Less pressure to deliver immediately.  I would take him with our second rounder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean I’m a pretty vocal “hater” for Trask but I say that in the light of if I’m making the picks round 3 is when I’d consider it. Composure under pressure and out routes are some of the only things you really get to see that look like what professional windows will be like in college. If he throws late in the pros he’s going to look like Peterman. But when he is in rythm he puts the ball where it needs to be. But he’s predetermining a lot and that’s a huge pet peeve of mine as well. I believe a team takes Trask before the 3rd because this year there are a ton of QB needy teams. But I would caution patience for this team even though week 3 next season everyone’s gonna be why didn’t we take ABC but we can’t afford to force a selection. I’m actually higher on guys rated a lot lower then Trask

I agree with a lot of this, I would say though that a lot of guys who are rated below Trask like Mond, Ehlinger, Desmond Ridder and Jamie Newman rely an awful lot on their legs and as we know in the NFL that’s a recipe for disaster unless you’re build like Newton or Hurts (which I guess Ehlinger is) or as agile like a running back like Vick or Lamar Jackson.

My worry with a young QB who’s also an exceptional athlete is that they will think they can play as they did in college and 9 times out of 10 they can’t bc the athletes in the NFL are as good as them or better. Then, when they rely too much on their legs, they don’t develop as pocket passers like they should or, they get themselves hurt like RG3 and other running QBs have in the past.

I see Trask as the type who has issues with throwing late sometimes etc, but like a lot of QBs with those issues like  anticipation for example can be improved as they were with guys like Phillip Rivers, Roethlisberger, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins and others as they played more and developed more in the pros.

I totally agree that as of right now and how Trask played the last 2 games against a great and a good defense in Alabama & OU that he shouldn’t be taken in the top 20 of the draft but he has time to rebound from this and still be a late 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick. I think he floor for Trask is a 3rd round pick.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Well I think you’ve said multiple times you expect us to take Lance I have felt like he was going to be on our roster since watching him last year just because what I think Kyle values. Then we hired Ron and I almost wrote it in pen lol Fields could also fall and Ron will like him as well I’ve been vocal about fields in the top 3 but he is a beast and wherever our natural selection is win or lose I’d take him because he is worth trying to develop his game at that point for sure. But fields should be gone too 7 for sure.

I think Fields is going to look better tomorrow night than he did last game. Last game Olave didn’t play and that’s huge for Fields. Which, we also have to take into account that Trask was w/o his top 3 weapons in his offense and yeah, I guess he should be able to overcome that, but that’s a lot to overcome for any QB.

Olave is to Fields like Terry was to Haskins. It’s like Olave and Fields almost share the same mind - except on the last play of the CFBP last year vs Clemson when Olave stopped his route bc he thought Fields was going to scramble and Fields threw it where Olave should’ve been and what resulted was an easy int for  the Clemson FS. I think Olave is going to be like Keenan Allen in the NFL, he’ll go in round 2, but end up being one of the most productive WRs in the draft.

Honestly, if we don’t have the opportunity to take Devonta Smith or Ja’Marr Chase and we don’t take Jalen Waddle or Bateman when we pick, I’d love to take Olave in round 2 if he’s there. He’s a great compliment to Terry’s speed and he’d be a day 1 starter for us as the #2 starter or in the slot.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

In all honesty, I don't see this coaching staff wanting to go into the season relying on a rookie QB.

I think in a perfect world they find, via FA or trade, a veteran who can stick around for 2-3 years that can take control of the QB room (similar to the deal Teddy Bridgewater situation). In addition, they bring back Kyle Allen (or Taylor Hei-nick-e!) as back up and draft a QB with their 1st round pick. Or they could leverage their 2nd and 2 3rds to move up late into the 1st (similar to the Montez Sweat trade).

All of this is assuming that Alex Smith is no longer in the NFL of course. We've had horrible luck when it comes to injuries and as a result, production at the QB position. I hope that we finally find something we can be confident in moving forward.

2 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

In all honesty, I don't see this coaching staff wanting to go into the season relying on a rookie QB.

I think in a perfect world they find, via FA or trade, a veteran who can stick around for 2-3 years that can take control of the QB room (similar to the deal Teddy Bridgewater situation). In addition, they bring back Kyle Allen (or Taylor Hei-nick-e!) as back up and draft a QB with their 1st round pick. Or they could leverage their 2nd and 2 3rds to move up late into the 1st (similar to the Montez Sweat trade).

All of this is assuming that Alex Smith is no longer in the NFL of course. We've had horrible luck when it comes to injuries and as a result, production at the QB position. I hope that we finally find something we can be confident in moving forward.

If Alex retires, I hope we go all in on Mathew Stafford. (Presuming he's released & not traded)

Trade for Julio Jones who's rumored to be traded in the off season. (If he can be had for a 2nd or less compensation)

Draft another wr with skills if one is there at our pick.

Load up that offense in 1 off season.

Let's not waste a dominant Defense, while our offense rots away...

Let's get some talent out there.

1 hour ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

All in all though, I agree with that. I don’t think Rivera is going to want to waste the years he has with this top 5 D developing/starting a rookie QB at the same time. I think that’s a bit short sided but, I do agree that if Alex isn’t back that we’ll bring back Kyle Allen, sign a FA QB and draft a rookie to develop - but not definitely in round 1.

I sure hope we don’t trade for a veteran though. Although I love Matt Stafford, I’m not interested in giving up a 1st round pick or 2 and other high draft picks to get him.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

If Alex retires, I hope we go all in on Mathew Stafford. (Presuming he's released & not traded)

Trade for Julio Jones who's rumored to be traded in the off season. (If he can be had for a 2nd or less compensation)

Draft another wr with skills if one is there at our pick.

Load up that offense in 1 off season.

Let's not waste a dominant Defense, while our offense rots away...

Let's get some talent out there.

Matt Stafford 0-3 in the playoffs, HE’S NOT A WINNER! HE DOESN’T HAVE “IT!”

As you said, the only way I’d consider Stafford is if he’s a free agent, I’m glad you realize trading for him could backfire like trading for McNabb did. 

I am not in favor of Trading away high draft picks for aging veterans because it rarely works out well.

If we are going to get a 30 year old injury prone Wr - who actually stayed healthy this year - why not just sign AJ Green as a free agent?

He won’t cost near a much as the top WRs in their prime & he can be a veteran mentor for Terry, hopefully a WR we drafted early in this year’s draft and the young WRs we already have on our roster.

Edited by turtle28

31 minutes ago, Troublez said:

This was the only game I didn't watch of Florida. But if he struggled against OU defense then my god...... 

While he struggled, also Pitts, Toney and Grimes all opted out of this game. And Copeland can’t play due to COVID.

So, Trask didn’t have his weapons available and that explains a lot. Regardless, Trask shouldn’t have thrown 2 of this 3 interceptions.