2021 NFL Draft Thread

@e16bball The problem is - as well all know - this fanbase has been waiting for a winner since 1993, our fanbase doesn’t have the patience with a QB who’s going to take a few years to develop like Lance. If we draft Lance in round 1 and he needs to sit but we lose our first few games, everyone will be clamoring for them to start before the first quarter of next year is over.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think you just have to set expectations from the minute you draft him. 

You have the built-in narrative with the Smith/Mahomes arrangement in KC, with Alex the great smart/experienced veteran taking the young raw super-talent under his wing and giving him a year to learn and blossom. If you take Lance, (a) that has to be the plan and (b) that has to be the consistent message from day one. To the organization, to the fans, to the players involved. He is NOT going to take the field in year one, barring emergency.

If you sell him as the future, and not the right-now, I think you will be able to get people on board. Everyone can see the stats (insane), everyone can see the basic numbers he’ll put up at the combine (likely a very impressive 40 time), and you also have some familiarity with NDSU. It’s not your typical anonymous FCS school, as we’ve been up against Carson Wentz (usually killing us) for years. He’s much easier than pretty much any FCS QB in history to sell to the fanbase, I would think.

Exactly whatever they do they have to stick to the plan and if that is the plan they must give him that chance

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Well we already know Rivera won’t do that, so that’s out the window! 😂 

He has juggled thing some but I gotta say with Haskins I gotta say I understand. I’m just happy we didn’t bad team it and keep trying.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

@e16bball The problem is - as well all know - if this fanbase has been waiting for a winner since 1993, our fanbase doesn’t have the patience with a QB who’s going to take a few years to develop. If we draft a QB high and we lose a few games, everyone will be clamoring for them to start before the first quarter of next year is over.

I agree with all this. 

But one of the reasons we’ve sucked for so long is that our organization has been extremely responsive to the impatience of the fans. There’s a reason why they don’t just crowd-source personnel decisions, because the fickle fanbase has no idea what’s best for the team. 

I know you’re talking about the limited issue of the fanbase unrest, and you’re probably dead on about that (if we do lose a few early). But what frustrates me is the concept that they have to take some lesser-but-more-pro-ready QB prospect because they can’t trust themselves to resist the fan pressure to play a guy who won’t able to play yet. 

Admittedly, I didn’t want Lance for sort of the same reason. I just didn’t think they could effectively develop him. I actually still don’t want him, based on what I’ve seen on the field, unless he totally jumps off the page in the interviews. But with the re-emergence of Smith, I think they are in a position where they could take a super-talented project QB. Now it doesn’t take tremendous organizational discipline not to play the young guy, it just takes basic reasoning and a bit of patience — let Smith play out his contract with Allen as the backup, and let the kid come along throughout the season. 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Rut row! Devonta Smith landed hard on his bottom and linked up the sidelines holding his lower back.

Let it be just significant enough an injury that everyone but the WFT is scared to draft him with that scrawny frame! 

Seriously, the kid is just breathtaking to watch. That anyone would suggest he’s not fast enough, regardless of what kind of 40 he runs, is one of life’s great mysteries. 

• Like 1

@e16bball I’m 100% with you, I actually think that Haskins should’ve sat longer if he wasn’t ready like Gruden kept telling us but, most fans don’t think like you and I do. They get lost in the trees instead of seeing the entire forest. 

I was wrong about Haskins needing to play sooner than he was ready to. In retrospect even looking back on the beginning of this year Haskins shouldn’t have been the starter week 1, Kyle Allen should’ve been but, I understand that Rivera wanted to see what Haskins could do. When Rivera had seen enough of Haskins by the 4th week and seen the immaturity that us fans rarely see then, Rivera made the move to go with Kyle Allen but perhaps it should’ve went the other way around w/ Kyle Allen getting to start the season and then if he faultered Haskins could’ve become the starter in October or Alex Smith.

Oh well, that’s over and I’m very happy for Alex that he was able to come back and play as well as he has.

Let it be just significant enough an injury that everyone but the WFT is scared to draft him with that scrawny frame! 

Seriously, the kid is just breathtaking to watch. That anyone would suggest he’s not fast enough, regardless of what kind of 40 he runs, is one of life’s great mysteries. 

😂 

On a serious note though, as my dad says, why don’t these players wear all the pads they should?

If Devonta Smith had hip pads in then he doesn’t get the bruise he got on that hit at the goal line.

38 minutes ago, e16bball said:

He and Pitts run the best routes I’ve seen for a player coming out. But Smith is insane E!!! Monster!!

17 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He and Pitts run the best routes I’ve seen for a player coming out. But Smith is insane E!!! Monster!!

One of the great insights they offered on the broadcast was about Alabama’s coaching staff commenting on his intelligence. Which makes so much sense to me, watching him you get the sense that he just understands why he’s running certain routes and how his action fits within the greater scheme of the play and the gameplan. 

Take somebody like Isaiah Wright, who doesn’t really get that. He doesn’t do things like push his deep routes to take the top off or run crossers at the appropriate depth or try to widen out to draw zone defenders, things that might not make much difference for him getting open but could play a major role in someone else finding a hole. 

Smith is the opposite. Such precision in everything he does, and so much dedication to doing the little things (including blocking) that make his offense better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One of the great insights they offered on the broadcast was about Alabama’s coaching staff commenting on his intelligence. Which makes so much sense to me, watching him you get the sense that he just understands why he’s running certain routes and how his action fits within the greater scheme of the play and the gameplan. 

Take somebody like Isaiah Wright, who doesn’t really get that. He doesn’t do things like push his deep routes to take the top off or run crossers at the appropriate depth or try to widen out to draw zone defenders, things that might not make much difference for him getting open but could play a major role in someone else finding a hole. 

Smith is the opposite. Such precision in everything he does, and so much dedication to doing the little things (including blocking) that make his offense better.

Smith and Pitts are my favorite 2 players in the draft at moment.Alabama is to the point the to me they are constantly producing the best route runners in College football like Ohio state is with DEs but it doesn't get talked about.

One of the few WR’s I’m okay with taking high!!! He’s a special player for exactly what your saying. When you work that hard when the balls not coming your way it makes defenders work so much harder away from the ball and it sets them up for when it is coming your way. Truely special individual