Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

50 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

he’s inexperienced and he’s 50. If I’m gonna hire an inexperienced coach, I’m gonna grab a young guy, not a guy who has been around forever without landing a HC job or really even being in consideration for one.

I can buy this, sure. Not sure if I fully agree - the "McVay effect" is suddenly en vogue, but for every McVay, there's a Kliff Kingsbury or Lane Kiffin. Meanwhile, Bruce Arians was in his late 50s when he got his first HC gig and he took the Cardinals to the SB and resurrected the careers of Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer.

I'm not trying to pigeon hole anyone here, so I'm not looking at young/experienced, old/inexperience, etc. I'm hearing a lot about Bieniemy that I like, I have a ringing endorsement from the best Football player in the world, so I'm willing to buy into this.

55 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He got some love last year but seriously when has he been a candidate for a HC position before? 

I'm not going to lie, he's got some SERIOUS red flags here - various arrests for some serious allegations. That gives me more hesitance than anything, tbh.

Had you cited this, I'd fully agree and probably not really disagree with you for the most part.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I can buy this, sure. Not sure if I fully agree - the "McVay effect" is suddenly en vogue, but for every McVay, there's a Kliff Kingsbury or Lane Kiffin. Meanwhile, Bruce Arians was in his late 50s when he got his first HC gig and he took the Cardinals to the SB and resurrected the careers of Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer.

I'm not trying to pigeon hole anyone here, so I'm not looking at young/experienced, old/inexperience, etc. I'm hearing a lot about Bieniemy that I like, I have a ringing endorsement from the best Football player in the world, so I'm willing to buy into this.

I'm not going to lie, he's got some SERIOUS red flags here - various arrests for some serious allegations. That gives me more hesitance than anything, tbh.

Had you cited this, I'd fully agree and probably not really disagree with you for the most part.

His past is obviously a big red flag, I just didn’t want to play that card. 

And I think Kliff Kingsbury is doing a good job. 

15 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

And I think Kliff Kingsbury is doing a good job. 

Texas Tech fan here. He's good, never great. Love Kilff and will always want him to do well, but he never could get over the hump at Tech. In the NFL, he's gone 5-10 and 8-8. This past season, they lost 5 of their final 7 games after being in playoff position. If the Texans still had BOB and went from 6-3 to finish 8-8, would you say he's doing a good job?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

Texas Tech fan here. He's good, never great. Love Kilff and will always want him to do well, but he never could get over the hump at Tech. In the NFL, he's gone 5-10 and 8-8. This past season, they lost 5 of their final 7 games after being in playoff position. If the Texans still had BOB and went from 6-3 to finish 8-8, would you say he's doing a good job?

Kingsbury is just in his second season with a team that has been a bottom feeder for years. I’d call 8-8 his second season a success. 

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Kingsbury is just in his second season with a team that has been a bottom feeder for years. I’d call 8-8 his second season a success. 

...they were 8-8 in 2017. They were 13-3 in 2015. Bruce Arians had three 10+ win seasons in his five years there.

They had a significant drop once Arians left and Steve Wilks took over for a season, but that's about it - and that's in the hyper-competetive NFC West.

• Like 1

Let's assume EB is the leading candidate (for fun) I wonder who's gonna take over our horrendous defense. We need the next Selah, someone who's gonna keep our defense disciplined with the current lack of talent on that side of the ball. 

Are there any young positional coaches ready to step up that y'all have in mind? Raheem Morris is still available, I know he's been around the block but I think this would be a homerun, someone who has HC experience who could help a first timer in EB.

Jerod Mayo is another name I hear popping up for HC positions while still being a LB coach and there's the Patriots connection. Threre's also a connection with DeMeco Ryans who's with San Fran.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Let's assume EB is the leading candidate (for fun) I wonder who's gonna take over our horrendous defense. We need the next Selah, someone who's gonna keep our defense disciplined with the current lack of talent on that side of the ball. 

Are there any young positional coaches ready to step up that y'all have in mind? Raheem Morris is still available, I know he's been around the block but I think this would be a homerun, someone who has HC experience who could help a first timer in EB.

Jerod Mayo is another name I hear popping up for HC positions while still being a LB coach and there's the Patriots connection. Threre's also a connection with DeMeco Ryans who's with San Fran.

Thoughts?

Don't want anyone young or long term.

I want Wade Philips.

If Watson stays, EB is our coach, we know our offense is stacked. Philips will keep the defense competitive for a few years while we rebuild it through first round picks and FA. Then we can get rid of him when it inevitably breaks down and hire a real young DC who will already have all the talent, just needs to provide a good scheme.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Thoughts?

DeMeco (the Cap!) just got promoted to SF DC

I could co-sign these:

HC – Eric Bieniemy

OC – Jim Caldwell (or reverse with Kelly)

QB – Tim Kelly

RB – Anthony Lynn

WR – Andre Johnson!

TE – Mike Bartrum

OL / Asst HC – Andy Heck

DC – Teryl Austin (or Wade Phillips)

DL – Jeff Zgonina (or Bill Johnson or Bill Kollar)

LB – George Edwards (or Ted Cottrell or Greg Manusky or John Pagano or Reggie Herring)

DB / Asst DC – Jerry Gray (or Bill Bradley or Brian Stewart or Dave Campo or Brett Maxie or Emmitt Thomas out of retirement)

ST – Tracy Smith

On 1/20/2021 at 7:49 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Want to touch on this really quick - I get it there are red flags, but these incidents happened in the early 90s; I was a teenager back then, I'm over 40 with two kids now. I think it's fair to leave that in the past, but that's my take.

• Like 1