Gameballs & Mike Nolans

CAPJ

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Youve lost your mind Slam. You need to find it. Even in 2016 when we had the #1 record in the NFL, we had a ton of money tied up at the QB position. 

Dak had the number 1 offense with this virtual same group of rag tag players. Even a little worse on the defensive side. I know there was no Martin, but McGovern wasnt giving up a lot of pressure from RG.

Dalton made almost no quality throws all game. What did he complete, 1-2 passes greater than 7 yards out of 54 attempts? He couldnt read a defense. He was horribly inaccurate. He was flat out awful.

And I do want to stress again that I think he will not be the bad every week. But this is thread is for the game just played. And Andy Dalton was garbage. 

You’ve lost your mind if you think Dak would have lead this POS team to a win today. Let’s not forget that Dallas had the worst TO ratio in the nfl with Dak.  Don’t get me wrong, Dak might have gotten 2-3 TDS in the 4th quarter today compared to Dalton’s 1.  If you are looking to assemble a football team that can take a blowout loss and make it semi interesting, Dak is your man and he’s worth every penny.  If you want meaningless stats to pad your fantasy football team... Dak’s good for that too.  But if you actually want to win football games there is no way you can justify paying Dak over $25M.  

BTW, in 2016, we had one of the best OL’s ever.  We can’t even afford to sign Ron Leary this year at a close to market rate so we can afford to pay Dak next year.  In 2016, we dominated TOP with a dominating run game which Kept the defense off the field.  I know this discussion is going right over your head because you still haven’t actually figured out the the run game DOES matter.  If you want to go back to the 2016 formula... I’m all for it.  Pay Dak on a rookie contract, assemble a great OL and bring in a RB whose hungry and talented and run him all day long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

You’ve lost your mind if you think Dak would have lead this POS team to a win today. Let’s not forget that Dallas had the worst TO ratio in the nfl with Dak.  Don’t get me wrong, Dak might have gotten 2-3 TDS in the 4th quarter today compared to Dalton’s 1.  If you are looking to assemble a football team that can take a blowout loss and make it semi interesting, Dak is your man and he’s worth every penny.  If you want meaningless stats to pad your fantasy football team... Dak’s good for that too.  But if you actually want to win football games there is no way you can justify paying Dak over $25M.  

BTW, in 2016, we had one of the best OL’s ever.  We can’t even afford to sign Ron Leary this year at a close to market rate so we can afford to pay Dak next year.  In 2016, we dominated TOP with a dominating run game which Kept the defense off the field.  I know this discussion is going right over your head because you still haven’t actually figured out the the run game DOES matter.  If you want to go back to the 2016 formula... I’m all for it.  Pay Dak on a rookie contract, assemble a great OL and bring in a RB whose hungry and talented and run him all day long.

You should change your name to The_Ostrich. Because you have put your head in the sand and are no longer looking at facts pertaining to the Cowboys nor any other successful NFL team.

On to actual GB and Nolans...

GB:  Zeke.  That mofo clearly has the heart of smart diehard fans.  He knows that going 2-14 is really what’s best for this team and I’ll be damned if he didn’t singlehandedly lead this team to defeat.  And, he took out our last good OLman to help ensure more failure beyond today.  I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one player do more to lead a team to defeat than Zeke did today.  Zeke was the fan’s MVP today.

HM:  Mike Nolan.  I know some of you were worried that getting some players back healthy on defense could ruin what he’s built on.  I was too after our defense forced a couple of punts in first quarter.  But holy hell did Nolan come through.  

Nolans:  Jerry.  Another year and another utterly disappointing season.  

14 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You should change your name to The_Ostrich. Because you have put your head in the sand and are no longer looking at facts pertaining to the Cowboys nor any other successful NFL team.

Dog, strong running game, controlling time of possession is a tried and true winning formula.  Watch the titans sometime.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Guys, there’s not a QBs on this planet who could have done anything behind that OL.  When dalton had time, he played okay and actually made some quality throws.  

But you guys are missing the bigger point which is what if Dallas had $31M dedicated to upgrading the football team... how different would this team look with 3-4 quality starters?  It should be painfully obvious to everyone that paying Dak $30M+ is not working for this team.  Even with Dak we have a trash team.   

This argument is completely irrational, especially considering how teams like Seattle, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, LA, etc. have invested in the QB position but are still fielding competitive, and in some cases championship-caliber, teams. The issue is that the Jones haven't spent the other $167M very well. The team has a lot of money tied up in guys who are either a) injured and have a long history of injuries and b) under-performing and have been for a while. Then there's the issue with the team's recent drafts. They haven't drafted well. The club has hit on a handful of picks, but many of their mid- to late-round selections have not contributed. 

The club has a way more issues than Dak Prescott. De-Law has a $25M cap hit. Cooper is at $22M. Tyron Smith is at $14.025M. Zeke is over $13M and he's been subpar for the last season and a third (and just bad this year).

Dak is an easy target and blaming him for the team's poor use of cap is, well, lazy. Your argument also assumes the team would spend the money wisely. We've seen that Jerry and Stephen are not exactly great at handing out contracts and identifying talent. For all we know, they might throw $30M at an over-the-hill safety like Earl Thomas.

Edited by TheStarStillShines
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TheStarStillShines said:

The club has a way more issues than Dak Prescott. De-Law has a $25M cap hit. Cooper is at $22M. Tyron Smith is at $14.025M. Zeke is over $13M and he's been subpar for the last season and a third (and just bad this year)

Exactly. @The_Slamman wants ~$35m/yr to better the roster? Cut DLaw and Zeke at the first opportunity. Hell, Cooper can go to, but not for a couple more years. 

10 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

But you guys are missing the bigger point which is what if Dallas had $31M dedicated to upgrading the football team... how different would this team look with 3-4 quality starters?  It should be painfully obvious to everyone that paying Dak $30M+ is not working for this team.  Even with Dak we have a trash team.   

Thinking about Dallas having $31m available by not paying Dak does absolutely nothing for me anymore.

The personnel dept is and has been awful for a long time. Their idea of quality players this year has been Worley, Poe, Griffin, McCoy, Dalton, Clinton-Dix, Zuerlein, Canady, and Smith (thank God they hit on one). They’ve paid big for RB. Didn’t pay Hitchens $9m/yr to turn around and pay Jaylon and the always injured Lee $18m combined. Paid big for a run stopping DE. Paid an extra $2m for an average kicker to replace the guy who was perfect for them last year. Brought back a washed up and ancient TE to get in the way of Jarwin and Schultz. And in the process of all of this let their best CB walk, only to keep paying Tyrone Crawford.

Forgive me for no longer being excited about extra cap space.

Edited by WizardHawk

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Exactly. @The_Slamman wants ~$35m/yr to better the roster? Cut DLaw and Zeke at the first opportunity. Hell, Cooper can go to, but not for a couple more years. 

I don’t think we can move on from Cooper, Zeke, Jaylon or really any of the other bad contracts we have on this roster until 2022.

Just imagine where we’d be if we’d paid Dak and Jones instead of Zeke, Smith and maybe even Lawrence.

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

I don’t think we can move on from Cooper, Zeke, Jaylon or really any of the other bad contracts we have on this roster until 2022.

Just imagine where we’d be if we’d paid Dak and Jones instead of Zeke, Smith and maybe even Lawrence.

Id take Smith over Lawrence 10 out of 10 times. I would rather get 12 games of all pro LT play at $10-15m than 16 games of middling DE play at $20m/yr. 

EDIT - Just realized you meant Jaylon not Tyron. That said, I wouldnt have paid Byron either. I didnt want to pay Zeke, DLaw or Byron. 

Edited by Matts4313

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Id take Smith over Lawrence 10 out of 10 times. I would rather get 12 games of all pro LT play at $10-15m than 16 games of middling DE play at $20m/yr. 

EDIT - Just realized you meant Jaylon not Tyron. That said, I wouldnt have paid Byron either. I didnt want to pay Zeke, DLaw or Byron. 

I think Byron is an elite level corner, but I get why some may not have wanted to extend him. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

In the exact same spot we are in... we are paying him $32 M. Why do people act like we let him walk in FA just because we tagged him? He is counting significantly towards the cap this year. He was one of the highest paid players in the game last night