Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I heard he asked for his release a few weeks ago

This is confusing, even if that is true why release him now. If the Giants plan is to get rid of the Gettleman players because they are not part of the future, they should have not reworked Martinez and Sterling contracts and release them before training camp, we should also release Slayton and save 2.5 million.

46 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

This is confusing, even if that is true why release him now. If the Giants plan is to get rid of the Gettleman players because they are not part of the future, they should have not reworked Martinez and Sterling contracts and release them before training camp, we should also release Slayton and save 2.5 million.

I believe the cap hit would have been the same either way. His guarantees were always locked in. 

6 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Only thing i can think of with Toney is he's either not 100% healthy or there's a rift already between him and the coaching staff

The other possibility is that he simply does not know the playbook well enough for the coaching staff to trust him due to all the time he has missed due to injury.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

The other possibility is that he simply does not know the playbook well enough for the coaching staff to trust him due to all the time he has missed due to injury.

This is what I think it is. I think he had a bad week of practice and couldn't be relied on to have a general WR role outside of engineered plays for him. The hope is that he wakes up a little, has a better week in practice, and Daboll and co play him next week. You cannot leave a guy that talented on the sideline. He's a super rare guy where you just get him the ball and see what he can do with it. He looks un-tackle-able at times.

Jon Feliciano had a personal tragedy Sunday; shortly after arriving in Nashville he learned that his one-year-old nephew had drowned. I can't imagine what the man must have been going through, and still is.

Regarding Toney's limited snaps, The Athletic offers some insight:

It’s hard to imagine that the coaching staff views Richie James (42 snaps) and David Sills (27 snaps) as more talented players than Toney. So there’s clearly something Toney needs to show the coaching staff to find his way into the personnel groups that actually get on the field.

This is the second straight season that a coaching staff has limited Toney’s involvement at the start of the season. Yes, he missed the practice time in camp, but Sterling Shepard, who was on the physically unable to participate list for the first four weeks of camp, only participated in 10 practices before the opener. He played 43 snaps in the opener.

How Brian Daboll, Giants optimized Saquon Barkley and more thoughts from opener - The Athletic

Remember the incredible disappearing man, Kenny Golladay? He disappeared again today, in more ways than one. Didn't earn his way to a single target, then was MIA in the locker room after our win over the Panthers. Per Ryan Dunleavy.

He was already in the running for biggest FA bust in Giants history and now this.
Edited by y*so*blu

17 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Remember the incredible disappearing man, Kenny Golladay? He disappeared again today, in more ways than one. Didn't earn his way to a single target, then was MIA in the locker room after our win over the Panthers. Per Ryan Dunleavy.

He was already in the running for biggest FA bust in Giants history and now this.

Golladay on field production aside, the best is treating this as not a big deal it seems.

18 hours ago, Acgott said:

Golladay on field production aside, the best is treating this as not a big deal it seems.

It's not a big deal. Julian Love threw water on it immediately. Head coaches lie, but Daboll did say he told Golladay they were going with Sills this week and he 'handled it like a pro'.