Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

40 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Wrap every Giant in bubble wrap between the 3rd preseason game and week 1.

It's got to be the field. This team has been plagued by injuries year after year despite multiple administrations and training staffs. And the Jets are right there with them.

https://www.sportfacts.org/nfl-injuries-by-team/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/2021/

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

It's got to be the field. This team has been plagued by injuries year after year despite multiple administrations and training staffs. And the Jets are right there with them.

https://www.sportfacts.org/nfl-injuries-by-team/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/2021/

We had injuries yesterday though at the joint practice, and that was on grass at the practice facility.

32 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I agree, the fact that both the Giants and the Jets are in the top 5 when it comes to injuries can't be a coincidence. Can't believe these billion dollar owners are too cheap to change the field.

• Like 2

Notes from first half of preseason game #3 vs Jets:

* Tyrod Taylor was crushed on a play. Walked to the tent favoring his tailbone, then carted the rest of the way off the field. The line simply can't block against starting defenses without Neal and Thomas in there.

* We saw a good trick play on 3rd and long featuring Wandale, who moved the chains thanks to a block by Chris Myarick.

* Our first TD was on a pick-six courtesy of Austin Calitro, a journeyman linebacker.

* Daniel Bellinger and Jalyn Holmes are in concussion protocol.

* Antonio Williams is pancaked and destroyed on a hit by Kwon Alexander. Expect to see that in many future Jets highlight reels. Williams just goes back to work like nothing happened.

* We're being out-hustled. Jets lead 17-10 at the half.

Edited by y*so*blu

10 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Notes from first half of preseason game #3 vs Jets:

* Tyrod Taylor was crushed on a play. Walked to the tent favoring his tailbone, then carted the rest of the way off the field. The line simply can't block against starting defenses without Neal and Thomas in there.

* We saw a good trick play on 3rd and long featuring Wandale, who moved the chains thanks to a block by Chris Myarick.

* Our first TD was on a pick-six courtesy of Austin Calitro, a journeyman linebacker.

* Daniel Bellinger and Jalyn Holmes are in concussion protocol.

* Antonio Williams is pancaked and destroyed on a hit by Kwon Alexander. Expect to see that in many future Jets highlight reels. Williams just goes back to work like nothing happened.

* We're being out-hustled. Jets lead 17-10 at the half.

We are also playing the majority of our backups vs the majority of the jets starters. Our majority second string were only down 0-3 to the majority of the Jets starters once the first concluded.

• Like 1

With the preseason official wrapped up, I’m overall more optimistic than before camp. I still don’t think this is a playoff team but there were things that were very nice to see. I thought the running game was consistently strong all preseason. There was very few runs where the RB was getting hit as he was receiving the handoff, which was a staple of the offense the past few seasons. I also like the RB room a bit more including Brightwell getting some carries. I don’t want to see it in the regular season but it was nice to see him and A. Williams look like competent runners. We were also good against the run all preseason. The backups gave up some decent runs today but nothing crazy and there were several TFLs. Should be a strength for us yet again. The CB room is a huge concern though. I know that’s not earth shattering news but woof. And it goes way deeper than Aaron Robinson. Flott was so scared to hit anyone today and made no noticeable plays in coverage. The DBs were on skates the whole 2nd half including the game winning drive against the Jets. If Adoree goes down it’s easily the worst CB room in the league. 

Now let’s just pray we get some guys back soon. 

• Like 1

What i take away from this preseason... 

1- I think from what i saw with DJ, he's gonna retain his job this season and possibly be resigned for the next few years. He looked solid all around from what i saw. 

2- We are in trouble with our big name WRs. Kenny Golladay is the biggest pay check thief in the NFL. Kadarius Toney... LOL... i shouldve stuck to my guns in the post i made a long time ago saying i got no faith in this kid. He seems dis-interested in playing football and is smiling, while injured, all the time. Sterling.. well.. how many games do we get out of him this season before he goes down. Not good. Bachman and Sills V are gonna be having some big roles i think later this season for this team. Dan Bellinger and Austin Allen showed some promise as TEs' for us. 

3- Oline for DJ may be the best overall hes gonna have so far. Neal, Thomas and Glowinski will be rocks for him. Feliciano and whomever is gonna be our left guard is questionable, but i think with the limited action i saw from Feliciano at least he looks solid enough to play center. 

4- The RBs'... this is actually the strongest showing from our group of guys ive seen in a while. We all know Saquon is finally healthy and will be able to create something for us now being healthy and running behind a semi-decent oline. Antonio Williams and Jaquan Corbin i think will contribute as well. Brightwell showed some flash too. Was pretty impressed with this group. 

The Defense. 

`1- We are in major trouble at the CB position. Adoree is our only viable starter. Darnay Holmes is decent in the slot but our #2 corner position is a major question mark. Aaron Robinson looked awful in the preseseason.. as did Flott and Evans. The latter 2 were thoroughly whopped up and down the field this preason. Big problems coming on 1 side of the field. Not good. I seriously wonder if there is an outside shot that Julian Love moves into the #2 corner spot. He was a corner in his time at Notre Dame, so something to consider. 

2- Dline. Decent against the run... but once again.. where is the push up front?? Where is there anyone collapsing the oline of the other team. Kayvon and Azeez are gonna be heavily relied upon for their speed and coming off the edge. Not feeling too good with this line up front at all. 

3- LBs... overall tough for me to gauge them. Blake is finally healthy and thats a plus, but i dont know what to expect from the others. No one really stood out to me in this group. Tae Crowder is decent on one side. But wow other than Frank Calitro making a few splash plays i didnt see a whole lot of other signs to brag about from our other prospects. Darrian Beavers showed promise but then went down.. so that didnt help at all. Micah McFadden ive got mixed reviews on... Dont know. 

4- Safety positions.. Xman is gonna be a pro bowler, like this kid alot. Hes our best overall defensive prospect if u ask me. Love i think will be opposite him for some time. The other group of guys who came in from preseason i couldnt gauge that much. 

ST- 

Crazy as it sounds this is the best group on the team. Gano or Santoso will be money for us. Gillam has a leg that can boom a ball out of the planet and from what i saw Thomas McGaughey will keep this group moving good.

Overall.. 

1- biggest concern is the Wrs on offense producing. 

2- do we have enough pieces to generate pressure on defense?... dont think so.. not yet. 

Nothing surprising yet. Corbin did nothing to prove he was better than Williams or Brightwell and it's not like either of them are expensive. Bachman was never going to make it in this numbers game. Writing was on the wall for Corker. Jamil Douglas will probably be back after IR moves and whatnot, provided they don't find better options elsewhere.