Week 8 General Discussion

TecmoSuperJoe

Wanted to start this early. The schedule looks grim this upcoming week with the primetime games. 3/4 BYE teams aren't going anywhere though, so I guess that's a win? 

Steelers/Ravens and 49ers/Seahawks are perceived heavy hitters. I'm actually interested in Raiders/Browns and Saints/Bears. 

BTW, don't be alarmed at the times listed. That's just from my location. 

Untitled.jpg

Real talk though, I'm hearing chirping online about how the Cowboys overall just lack any type of quality leadership. The hit against Andy Dalton where no one went after the defender that laid him out seemed to reignite this narrative. Jerry Jones, who does a weekly radio show (because of course he does) seemed to get unusually ticked off when pressed on the issue: 

And on Tuesday morning, during Jones's weekly radio appearance in Dallas, you could tell he's starting to sweat.

Check out this fascinating (and hilarious) interaction between Jones and 105.3 The Fan's Shan Shariff: 

"SHARIFF: Does your team have a leadership void?

"JONES: Uh, when - where, in the offensive line?

"SHARIFF: Just overall.

"JONES: But seriously, where would you have a leadership void? Is it an experience void? Is it a talent void? Is it - I'm not trying to be cute here. The answer's no.

"SHARIFF: I'm asking - 

"JONES: Well, just shut up and let me answer. No. 

"SHARIFF: Jerry, when you go into the locker room and you see the - 

"JONES: I gave you the answer. When I go into the locker room, there's no leadership void, in my eyes. Now that's your answer. Let's move on."

To Jerry's credit he apologized after his mini tirade towards the end of the interview and everyone had some laughs. 

Some interesting takes from Cowboys fans that stuck out to me:

Jerry is a "promote from within the company" kind of guy. See Garrett being made OC before a head coach was ever hired or keeping Kellen Moore around even with a complete staff turnover. He definitely wants a yes man so he can be bros with them and give his two cents. On "All or Nothing" the fact that he sat in on the coaches meetings and gave his input was cringe inducing. A lot of dancing on eggshells cause the big boss in the room kind of vibes. Jerry is peak dysfunction, running everything like a country club good old boys club instead of hiring the right people and letting them turn the boys into a well oiled machine.

IMO, he does this with players too. He tries to bro it up with them and it clouds his decisions on them because he considers them as friends instead of employees. It also lets the players slack off because they're on a first name basis with the owner.

Is Dallas more of a family-function first, and football team second??? 

16 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Real talk though, I'm hearing chirping online about how the Cowboys overall just lack any type of quality leadership. The hit against Andy Dalton where no one went after the defender that laid him out seemed to reignite this narrative. Jerry Jones, who does a weekly radio show (because of course he does) seemed to get unusually ticked off when pressed on the issue: 

To Jerry's credit he apologized after his mini tirade towards the end of the interview and everyone had some laughs. 

Some interesting takes from Cowboys fans that stuck out to me:

Is Dallas more of a family-function first, and football team second??? 

Where did you get those comments from fans? Because they are twisted a bit. Like, for example, Moore was kept because McCarthy wanted him. Before even joining our team, McCarthy was bragging about Moore last season. 

That said, even though Jerry doesnt do much for the last decade, they were very very close to the Garrett Family. So that was nepotism sprinkled in with great seasons every few years.

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Where did you get those comments from fans? Because they are twisted a bit. Like, for example, Moore was kept because McCarthy wanted him. Before even joining our team, McCarthy was bragging about Moore last season. 

That said, even though Jerry doesnt do much for the last decade, they were very very close to the Garrett Family. So that was nepotism sprinkled in with great seasons every few years.

Those were just some offhanded comments from the Cowboys reddit. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

The Pats' season will be effectively over if they lose this week. 

I'm wondering how that would feel for the haters. Would it still be worth celebrating, or does the fact that Brady is gone make it less fun?

It was done being fun after this play ended everything.

2 hours ago, Starless said:

The Pats' season will be effectively over if they lose this week. 

I'm wondering how that would feel for the haters. Would it still be worth celebrating, or does the fact that Brady is gone make it less fun?

Hate of Belichik > hate of Brady