Ryan Kerrigan requests trade

turtle28

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

They really just don’t get it. They should have been working with him for weeks to quietly find a landing spot that would be good for him and could bring us a decent return. Then this could have been resolved in a way that wouldn’t have resulted in both of the best Redskins of the last decade publicly requesting trades within a year of each other — and then leaving for 50% (or less) of their actual trade value. 

Actually, this should have been resolved in the offseason, before it ever got to this point. No competitor like Kerrigan was ever going to be happy in a reserve role, and no one in a contract year wants to be getting limited snaps and treated like a backup. You have to have some foresight and deal with imminent issues before they crop up. 

Maybe they’ve tried to do that and no one wanted him, in which case you can’t really criticize them. But pass-rush help is always needed by contenders — I just can’t imagine there’s not a Tennessee or San Francisco or Las Vegas willing to take on a short-term deal for a guy who would clearly contribute for them through the playoffs. 

They could've done ALL of those things. But they didn't. 

Because...reasons...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4209 said:

This is bewildering.😕

What's bewildering is that we actually assume these anonymous rumors are facts. 

The logic people forget to consider is why on earth he would want to be traded anyways, he will be a free agent at the end of the season.  He can then chase a ring with the team of his choice rather than being forced to go somewhere.

53 minutes ago, offbyone said:

What's bewildering is that we actually assume these anonymous rumors are facts. 

The logic people forget to consider is why on earth he would want to be traded anyways, he will be a free agent at the end of the season.  He can then chase a ring with the team of his choice rather than being forced to go somewhere.

I think there's a difference between demanding a trade and requesting a trade.  Do I think Kerrigan has demanded a trade?  No I don't.  Do I think he's let the FO know he'd be open to a trade if they decide to do so?  Yes I'm sure he's probably had that discussion.  

• Like 2

If I'm a team like the Chiefs, or Steelers?

I'm easily tossing out a 3rd rounder for Kerrigan.

You know the pick will be at the bottom of the draft order. Not too far from where the 3rd round compensatory picks are.

To have a guy like Kerrigan putting pressure on QB's is a no-brainer, imo.

Or what about the bears? To have Kerrigan & K. Mack at LBer? Holy moly...

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

You know the pick will be at the bottom of the draft order. Not too far from where the 3rd round compensatory picks are.

The Vikings just got a third and a fifth for Ngakoue, who is much younger and not limited to a specific side of the field. A fourth would be the market for Kerrigan 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Vikings just got a third and a fifth for Ngakoue, who is much younger and not limited to a specific side of the field. A fourth would be the market for Kerrigan 

Yeah seeing what Ngakue went for and then seeing Griffin go for a 6 and Dunlap go for 7th and a player,I'd expect we arn't getting good enough offer for Kerrigan for the team to decide its better for us to trade him then it is to have him mentor Sweat and Young for rest of year.

Kerrigan deserves to be starting somewhere though he could still hit double digits sack this season with more playing time and possibley get another good contract

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Yeah seeing what Ngakue went for and then seeing Griffin go for a 6 and Dunlap go for 7th and a player,I'd expect we arn't getting good enough offer for Kerrigan for the team to decide its better for us to trade him then it is to have him mentor Sweat and Young for rest of year.

Kerrigan deserves to be starting somewhere though he could still hit double digits sack this season with more playing time and possibley get another good contract

If they wanted to maximize his value, he would have been gone last year.  They were deluded into thinking that the team was anything more than a dumpster fire, and should have sold what assets they could at the trade deadline to maximize assets for year one of a rebuild.  

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 11:29 AM, e16bball said:

They really just don’t get it. They should have been working with him for weeks to quietly find a landing spot that would be good for him and could bring us a decent return. Then this could have been resolved in a way that wouldn’t have resulted in both of the best Redskins of the last decade publicly requesting trades within a year of each other — and then leaving for 50% (or less) of their actual trade value. 

Actually, this should have been resolved in the offseason, before it ever got to this point. No competitor like Kerrigan was ever going to be happy in a reserve role, and no one in a contract year wants to be getting limited snaps and treated like a backup. You have to have some foresight and deal with imminent issues before they crop up. 

Maybe they’ve tried to do that and no one wanted him, in which case you can’t really criticize them. But pass-rush help is always needed by contenders — I just can’t imagine there’s not a Tennessee or San Francisco or Las Vegas willing to take on a short-term deal for a guy who would clearly contribute for them through the playoffs

Tennessee could definitely use some help on pass rushers. 

4 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

But who cares if you get a 6th or a 7th? It’s a free pick for a player that isn’t going to re-sign here. It’s at least something. Even a player like John Ross or hell,  Kwon Alexander that the Niners just gave away would’ve been better than letting him walk for nothing. What they’re doing now is what they’ve done countless times...Crowder, Cousins, Preston Smith, Desean Jackson, Pierre Garçon etc. They’re letting a player who has SOME value walkout and getting nothing in return. This is not what a team that is building should do. Get whatever you can for an expiring contract and move on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

But who cares if you get a 6th or a 7th? It’s a free pick for a player that isn’t going to re-sign here. It’s at least something. Even a player like John Ross or hell,  Kwon Alexander that the Niners just gave away would’ve been better than letting him walk for nothing. What they’re doing now is what they’ve done countless times...Crowder, Cousins, Preston Smith, Desean Jackson, Pierre Garçon etc. They’re letting a player who has SOME value walkout and getting nothing in return. This is not what a team that is building should do. Get whatever you can for an expiring contract and move on. 

If he hadn’t requested a trade, I could have imagined a scenario where he’s just such an integral and positive part of the locker room that it wouldn’t be worth it to send him packing for a rinky-dink little 6th round pick or something. I could see how a guy that just bleeds burgundy and gold could be a positive thing for the culture development process and can understand how they might not want to ship that guy off for basically nothing.

But the guy evidently asked to be traded! What on earth are you keeping him for?! So he can disappointedly play out the rest of his contract as a backup and find a new home elsewhere in the offseason with someone looking to give him full-time snaps on a short deal?

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 12:21 PM, aceinthehouse said:

The Chiefs was a possibility. The Steelers have arguably the best OLB tandem in the NFL with Dupree & Watt. The Bears have Robert Quinn opposite Mack. They wouldn’t be trading for Kerrigan either.

I think the Chiefs or Seachickens made sense, but it’s not going to happen now. Oh well 

Here's the thing on this.  If our strategy is to avoid free agency this offseason and shoot for a 4th round comp pick or something from Kerrigan, then this makes sense.  But if we go after free agents and just let him walk for nothing than it was pretty stupid to keep him around and not at least get something.