Week Eight Recap: Packers Pee Down Their Leg in Loss to Vikings

mikebpackfan

Just now, packfanfb said:

It's not a surprise at all. It's actually clear as day. The way Gute has handled this off-season coming off a 13-3 season is criminal. Not enough being said about it either. 

Agreed.  Our off season made litle sense.  We ignored issues that were front and center.   Doing nothing to fix run defense was really poor management.

Just saw the highlight of ARs pass to EQ in the EZ and while EQ was able to get both hands on the ball, almost simultaneously the defenders hand splits EQs and knocks the ball loose. A tough play - but I cant blame EQ. The defender (whoever that was) made a good play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just saw the highlight of ARs pass to EQ in the EZ and while EQ was able to get both hands on the ball, almost simultaneously the defenders hand splits EQs and knocks the ball loose. A tough play - but I cant blame EQ. The defender (whoever that was) made a good play.

that play right before though.....

When I saw the weather report on the wind, I was worried something like this would happen. With the air game grounded, our Rodgers advantage was gone. I came down to the ground game. With Jones out that meant big ADVANTAGE to Minnesota and Cook. Add in our porous DL and I'm surprised we stayed as close as we did. 

This DL situation is very frustrating. After getting literally run off the field by SF last year, we did NOTHING to improve the DL. I remember the Packer brass saying they thought the current DL personnel was just fine, even AFTER the SF blow out. Tyler Lancaster they said was going to be just fine. Amazingly delusional. 

If this team is going to be competitive with the top teams, they had better trade for a run stopper tomorrow. Otherwise, in a copycat league, any team with a descent RB is going to run the ball down our throats until we choke on it.

Andy Herman -  Rodgers best two throws of the day might have been the ones EQ dropped. Both were just phenomenal. On the flip side, if Rodgers was a bit more pinpoint (difficult in the wind for sure) Tonyan probably scores on his big catch and he has another big play downfield to Sternberger.

45 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Was Winn injured ?

What is the purpose of him as a run stuffer going against a run heavy team on a cold and windy game?

Yeah, Winn over Mont Adams would seem to make sense. I was surprised to see him on the inactive. Lancaster fought but also got gashed and called for penalties. 

Not good enough. Get this D up to standards or bring in someone who will. 

Edited by Refugee

The better team on this day won.  Heck with blaming refs.  I have to watch the All 22 tape tomorrow and focus on #94 and #95.  Pettine's defensive scheme against the run did not look bad to me.  The execution stunk.  The Vikings ran off tackle right and off tackle left all day long and it worked.  Cook seemed to focus on our defensive ends and cut off of them.  From what I saw, neither #94 or #95 won their one on one's today and they both stunk up the field.  They were single blocked all day long and their opponent was able to turn and hold them them to the inside or outside creating large running creases.  If we do not upgrade one if not both of those position fast, we are going no where fast, just like last season.  They  consistently lost at the line of scrimmage on defense.  On the good side, I still like the play of Barnes and Martin our 2 young inside linebackers.  If our defensive ends could do their job better, you would have seen them show up more today. 

The other thing that keeps happening is that the play of our corners is just too passive.  I keep noticing we play our db's 7-10 yards off the line of scrimmage.  I guess we have no confidence in their ability to win one on ones with receivers.  This defense is just too passive.  Upgrade the talent at defensive end and get those corners up to the line of scrimmage occasionally.  Pettine makes it too easy. 

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 1

I love that we have to rehash the same **** over and over again here because you guys can't take context into account with anything. The Packers TRIED to trade up to draft a WR they wanted, they didn't fall. They signed Funchess, he opted out. These are two factors that you guys routinely ignore because it doesn't fit your narratives. They also drafted with the idea in mind that there might not be a season and used it as a way to get better fits in the system. 

Context matters, it's just easy to ignore to fit narratives.

Also, when has a non-elite rookie DL made an instant impact. The mistake was not bringing in a vet, not passing on the position in the draft. I mean, how are Blacklock, Davidson, Epenesa, Madubuike, Hamilton, Gallimore doing? What impact are they making?

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

The better team on this day won.

I have to disagree.  I believe we had the ability and personnel to pull this one out but we blew some needed plays and Min came up with some timely stops. Not getting the job done on Cook is beyond frustrating and Pettine deserves all the heat coming his way. He’s great and will make his plays and maybe we do need better DE’s but that was garbage.

Vikings get a ton of credit and coming off of their bye, brought it to us as they should. Old man Zimmer still has enough tricks to pull off some big third down stops but we had chances.  Complaining about the refs is weak but they picked up a flag on an obvious PI that would have changed the complexion of the game after giving similar calls to the other side. I guarantee LaFluer sends in a complaint about that one and he will be correct. 

5-2 is all that matters. I hope this somehow keeps Min from the top five in the draft and we catch fire from here, starting Thursday in SF.

Edited by Refugee

2 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I was super adamant and super positive and super vocal about how Dalvin Cook sucked. I was wrong. I still don't understand it though. Absolutely nothing special about the guy except he's really good at football apparently. 🤷

Holy contradictions Batman!