Week 9 GDT - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mulles LOVES going to the TEs, fair to say Dwelley and Reed will be very busy tonight. Game plan is pretty clear, try to run the ball down the Packers throats and try to move the chains by going to the TEs. If the team gets behind early though? Get ready for a LONG night lol. 

I picked up Reed 2 hours ago :D

Hopefully the offense doesnt' just crater 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nah, the trade itself was fine. Just like the trade up and selection of Foster was good. They both just turned out bad lol. 

The restructure was admittedly bad, and I've been complaining about those restructures and ghost years for a while, but I can't fault them for going that route if they are that out on Jimmy G. Not being attached to the wrong QB is more important than having dead money tied into Dee Ford. 

I mean in theory, I guess the trade was fine. Trading for Ford meant you were assured to his services for at least one year. And they probably didn't want to run the risk of striking out in free agency so I can see it from that perspective. But if you going to spend free agent money, which Ford was essentially because I seriously doubt the trade goes through unless we agree on the extension, I'd rather do it w/o sacrificing a premium pick to do so. That's my main gripe with that whole scenario.

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean in theory, I guess the trade was fine. Trading for Ford meant you were assured to his services for at least one year. And they probably didn't want to run the risk of striking out in free agency so I can see it from that perspective. But if you going to spend free agent money, which Ford was essentially because I seriously doubt the trade goes through unless we agree on the extension, I'd rather do it w/o sacrificing a premium pick to do so. That's my main gripe with that whole scenario.

It was definitely fine. It was a second round pick, but a future one at that (corresponding third round value) and then ended up being the second to last pick in the round (in part because of having Ford on the team), so in terms of an isolated value given up, it was slightly better than a 4th round pick . Granted, it doesn't always work like that, and while navigating the value in that manner is applicable, doesn' ttake the sting away from not having that selection. 

The contract is a different beast though because you don't know whether free agents take the same deal. Ford's deal sucked from a player standpoint. It was basically a one year deal; before the restructure, we could have cut him this year and saved money in 2020. Smith got about 10 million more in guarantees because they couldn't get away from the 2020 roster bonus because of the signing bonus. 

• Like 1