T Law or Fields

jetfuel34

5 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

@rickyt31 I’m not knocking either QB. Just that there’s but so much I can see from highlights. I don’t feel strongly about any of them being better than the other. I can’t wait to see PFF breakdown their accuracy numbers and for the QB guys to go through the tape. I do agree with you that there doesn’t seem to be much difference between these two QBs. Even the way they run RPOs looks the same.

Considering how good our draft picks seem to be (albeit in limited play), I’m excited to see what Joe D does at the QB position and at HC. I feel good about our future.

We may end up with the 2nd pick. So we may not even get a choice. 

If I came off as knocking y'all for picking Lawrence, I apologize on that. I was just trying to get in depth why I really like Fields. I remember people going off because I was comfortable with the idea of trading back to the #2 pick and getting Fields + picks. 

I think the people who actually watched enough games from the two have them neck and neck, but may just be leaning towards one. I have a different view on this. Joe Burrow is the greatest college QB I've ever seen and these two below him. I'm actually mad that we will have to deal with Jackson, Mahomes, Allen, him, and others for the next decade in the AFC.

So I really want JD to make the best decision possible. I don't think there is a miss out of these two. So I like what the future holds. Hopefully a vaccine will be ready and we'll be able to have a normal offseason. Players get healthy and we make the right moves. 

15 hours ago, bspice said:

While I respect everyone’s opinion it’s an easy one and it’s Trevor Lawrence. Let’s not overthink it especially if the Jets have the #1 pick

I agree. I think the only reason not to take Lawrence is if he comes right out and says he does not want to play for the Jets. Otherwise, this is the easy part. The hard part is to continue to lose games until No. 1 overall is secured.

Lol... The recency bias is real. 

I don't agree with but understand drafting Lawrence, but Fields and Wilson.... No. There are QBs in every draft that are as capable as they are and will garner the same amount of hype. You trade the pick for a haul and build a real team. Let Darnold battle a vet next preseason and if he fails then you draft a QB to sit behind said vet for one year. That gives you ample time to rebuild the team and install an offensive system instead of continuing to hope that one QB prospect is going to magically save the team. 

2 hours ago, drew39k said:

I don't agree with but understand drafting Lawrence, but Fields and Wilson.... No. There are QBs in every draft that are as capable as they are and will garner the same amount of hype. You trade the pick for a haul and build a real team. Let Darnold battle a vet next preseason and if he fails then you draft a QB to sit behind said vet for one year. That gives you ample time to rebuild the team and install an offensive system instead of continuing to hope that one QB prospect is going to magically save the team. 

I agree with your assessment about QB's.  Lawrence is a franchise QB while Fields and the others are good, but QB's like that show up in almost every draft.  But the thing is we can draft a QB next year even if it is not Lawrence and we still have the capital to rebuild this team over the next two years.  We do not necessarily need to bypass Fields or others and trade down.

3 hours ago, drew39k said:

Unless we end up middling due to the talent around Darnold and we are no longer in a position to draft a top QB prospect.

41 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Unless we end up middling due to the talent around Darnold and we are no longer in a position to draft a top QB prospect.

It's a fallacy that you need a top 5 pick to land a QB. Mahomes went what 10th, Watson was around there too, Lamar Jackson was end of round one and there are tons of other examples around the league. Teams that succeed have good teams then bring in a QB.  Look at the Packers as a perfect example. Had Favre, Drafted Rodgers when he fell and had him sit for a few years, fast forward to now and they are doing the same thing with Love. Look at teams that are constantly in the top ten wasting picks on QBs that bust because the team around them sucks. Hell, even when they hit(Stafford, Ryan) they still struggle to be consistently good because all of their success hinges on the QB carrying the team to try and make up for deficiencies.

Prove me wrong, show me teams that sucked for years, had no talent, drafted  a QB at the top and were able to turn around because of it. 

10 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Prove me wrong, show me teams that sucked for years, had no talent, drafted  a QB at the top and were able to turn around because of it. 

Is that not the Cards right now? Cam and the Panthers? I get your argument, and it definitely holds water, but Trevor Lawrence is akin to drafting Luck right now. He could be enough to get us the playoffs with just hit addition, and if we don't flub it up and actually build around him, we could be talking SBs.

Drafts are not certain. We have 4 firsts in the next two drafts and it could be that we draft a QB and 3 busts. Would you rather that QB be a dice roll between getting Mahommes or Blake Bortles, or take the safe route and draft Lawrence/Fields?

22 hours ago, drew39k said:

Couldn't disagree with this more. So picks are more valuable than actual franchise changing players?

• Like 1

I want to touch on something that I've seen several say that I just think is a lazy assessment. And that's that where a QB goes to college that it has anything to do with how good they'll be.

This has been used as a reason why Darnold isn't as good as we thought. And I've seen some use it as to why we might question drafting TLaw or Fields.

So here's a list of the QBs and where they went to school.

Mahomes: Texas Tech

Wilson: NC State

Rodgers: Cal

Brady: Michigan

Roethlisberger: Miami (Ohio)

Brees: Purdue

Allen: Wyoming

Tannehill: Texas A&M

Murray: Oklahoma

Herbert: Oregon

Carr: Fresno State

Ryan: Boston College

Cousins: Michigan State

Watson: Clemson

Mayfield: Oklahoma

Stafford: Georgia

Goff: Cal

Wentz: North Dakota State

Jackson: Lousiville

Rivers: NC State

Bridgewater: Lousiville

Burrow: LSU

Tua: Alabama

Foles: Arizona

Minshew: Washington State

Jones: Duke

Garoppolo: Eastern Illinois

Lock: Missouri

Prescott: Mississippi State 

Newton: Auburn

Haskins: Ohio State

SOOOOOOOO... my point being is that there's no school that has this history of great QBs. So that's a weak and lazy assessment as to why you don't want TLaw or Fields. School has absolutely 0 to do with how good the player is or will be. This shows that nearly every NFL QB right now went to a different college.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

We deserve Trevor Lawrence. 

Yes, you do. Even a Pats fan recognises that you're the most chastised fan base in football. I can't even believe this is a question....fields is very accurate, but is a clear 2nd fav to T-Law. You take T-Law without even thinking.

• Like 3