Jump to content
jetfuel34

T Law or Fields

Recommended Posts

On 11/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bobby816 said:

For me your point would have more validity if we didn’t have another 1st a very high 2nd and 2 3rds. Along with 2 1st next year. That’s plenty of ammo to rebuild.

It's a fair critique, I just feel that out team hasn't shown any sort of sustained track record with draft picks and we are devoid of talent at starting and depth positions. The extra picks we would get by trading Lawrence would be huge. We are talking an additional two firsts plus more on top of what we already have. That kind of stockpile would allow us the ability to address all over our holes and still have room to move up for a QB next off season if we still need one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bobby816 said:

For me your point would have more validity if we didn’t have another 1st a very high 2nd and 2 3rds. Along with 2 1st next year. That’s plenty of ammo to rebuild.

That is the point the sports anchor was trying to tell the other two  sports anchors down her in Orlando. Plus the great shape the Jets are in with the cap. And the anchor who was standing up for the Jets is a Miami fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drew39k said:

It's a fair critique, I just feel that out team hasn't shown any sort of sustained track record with draft picks and we are devoid of talent at starting and depth positions. The extra picks we would get by trading Lawrence would be huge. We are talking an additional two firsts plus more on top of what we already have. That kind of stockpile would allow us the ability to address all over our holes and still have room to move up for a QB next off season if we still need one.

With that logic though... why would we trust acquiring more picks based on our draft history? Based on our history.... we should just not draft each year bc we’re awful at it. So we can’t go by that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Great post. Agreed on all accounts. Although as I see TLaw as a once in a decade type prospect. I think I rate Fields higher than you. Any other year he’d be hands down the best prospect. For me if we are drafting 1st or 2nd. We have to choose TLaw if at 1 and Fields if at 2. If we are at 3 and the QBs go 1 and 2... then we stay with Darnold and then build other pieces. 

I'm very high on Fields, but still think TL is that much better.  Before Burrow emerged, I was all for trading the pick (ostensibly for Tua) and aiming for Lawrence or Fields this year.  Even if we weren't picking top 2, we'd have the draft capitol to move if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

With that logic though... why would we trust acquiring more picks based on our draft history? Based on our history.... we should just not draft each year bc we’re awful at it. So we can’t go by that. 

???

I'm not sure i follow your logic.  The idea is that we are not a good draft team, right? The means the odds of hitting on a single draft pick would be lower. 

How do you get the idea that " we shouldn't just not draft each year bc we're awful at it"?

The logic would dictate, that if a team is poor at scouting talent thru the draft they would actually prefer MORE picks so that they have better chances of actually hitting on a pick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, drew39k said:

???

I'm not sure i follow your logic.  The idea is that we are not a good draft team, right? The means the odds of hitting on a single draft pick would be lower. 

How do you get the idea that " we shouldn't just not draft each year bc we're awful at it"?

The logic would dictate, that if a team is poor at scouting talent thru the draft they would actually prefer MORE picks so that they have better chances of actually hitting on a pick.

 

My point is that you can't take the past and apply it to now. JD didn't do our awful drafts. So he shouldn't be the one to blame for where we are draft pick wise. So the idea of acquiring more picks bc of our bad draft history is flawed IMO. You grab quality not quantity. I'd rather see us trade picks to move up for a good player rather than trade back and acquire more picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My point is that you can't take the past and apply it to now. JD didn't do our awful drafts. So he shouldn't be the one to blame for where we are draft pick wise. So the idea of acquiring more picks bc of our bad draft history is flawed IMO. You grab quality not quantity. I'd rather see us trade picks to move up for a good player rather than trade back and acquire more picks.

How many times have I used the that expression ( quality not quantity ) but I agree how some people can get so excited about picking up fourth fifth & six round picks dives me crazy. We got five real good draft picks thru the first three rounds. And when we pick in the fourth round it will be the first or second pick in that round. So I should say we have six good picks in the first 97 players in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, drew39k said:

It's a fair critique, I just feel that out team hasn't shown any sort of sustained track record with draft picks and we are devoid of talent at starting and depth positions. The extra picks we would get by trading Lawrence would be huge. We are talking an additional two firsts plus more on top of what we already have. That kind of stockpile would allow us the ability to address all over our holes and still have room to move up for a QB next off season if we still need one.

Arizona and Mia retooled in one offseason.  Cincy is already looking better with Burrows.  Mia hasn't even used all of their ammo to do so either.  It just goes to show you that it can be done and be done quickly with out needing 4 firsts to do it.  If you have a QB and a HC it can happen quickly.  

There is zero reason to even consider trading out of 1.  We need a QB badly and people want to trade out from arguably the best prospect since Manning?  Get the QB and the HC and worry about everything else later.  

If we actually put some resources into helping the kid he can have enough to be successful from day 1.  This idea that we are going to ruin him is so dumb.  We could sure if Mac was GM and still picking all DTs in round 1 but JD will support the kid.  He already has a LT and Mims we just need to continue to add to the OL first and foremost and if he really is legit things will come together quickly.

You don't trade these types of QB prospects you just don't do it.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no guarantee that the first QB off the board will develop into the type of generational talent being touted.

The truth of the matter is most of the QB's don't live up to the hype, QB's it seems that fall out of that category are the ones that excel.

Perhaps its because there is less pressure.

A.Luck was not all he was supposed to be, yes a good QB, but he was prone to mistakes and was a hair over average.

While the first 2 Qb's off the board could be TL and Fields, don't sleep on Trask he's being mentioned as a Heisman hopeful.

Habits seem to follow QB's into the NFL, TL, Fields and Trask are not QB's prone to INT's.

If the Jets move on from Darnold, which I think is a mistake, but I've been wrong before, than any of those 3 would be a good start for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Arizona and Mia retooled in one offseason.  Cincy is already looking better with Burrows.  Mia hasn't even used all of their ammo to do so either.  It just goes to show you that it can be done and be done quickly with out needing 4 firsts to do it.  If you have a QB and a HC it can happen quickly.  

Miami had 3 1sts lol. And the key is they have a coach who is a good coach and guys buy in.  All three of those teams look good because of good coaching and good, young QB.  The Jets almost had that but messed up the coach part.

There is zero reason to even consider trading out of 1.  We need a QB badly and people want to trade out from arguably the best prospect since Manning?  Get the QB and the HC and worry about everything else later.  

If we actually put some resources into helping the kid he can have enough to be successful from day 1.  This idea that we are going to ruin him is so dumb.  We could sure if Mac was GM and still picking all DTs in round 1 but JD will support the kid.  He already has a LT and Mims we just need to continue to add to the OL first and foremost and if he really is legit things will come together quickly.

You don't trade these types of QB prospects you just don't do it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Big T said:

There is no guarantee that the first QB off the board will develop into the type of generational talent being touted.

The truth of the matter is most of the QB's don't live up to the hype, QB's it seems that fall out of that category are the ones that excel.

Perhaps its because there is less pressure.

A.Luck was not all he was supposed to be, yes a good QB, but he was prone to mistakes and was a hair over average.

While the first 2 Qb's off the board could be TL and Fields, don't sleep on Trask he's being mentioned as a Heisman hopeful.

Habits seem to follow QB's into the NFL, TL, Fields and Trask are not QB's prone to INT's.

If the Jets move on from Darnold, which I think is a mistake, but I've been wrong before, than any of those 3 would be a good start for me.

WOW!!! You think Luck was a hair over average. 

His record as a starter was 53-33

His TD to INT ratio 171-83

He threw 39 and 40 TD's in two different seasons..

He made the Pro Bowl 4 times. 

 

This is what you call just above average. 

Remember he was injured a lot too because of the poor OL that the colts had him behind. The guy was running for his life the majority of his career. 

I think Luck is a lot better than just above average. The guy was a top 5 QB when he played in the league. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the minority here, probably, but even if we don't land Lawrence I believe we have to move on from Darnold.

I can't imagine a scenario where we get so much better everywhere else that we will be able to carry the QB. The guy makes one great play every game, that makes everyone think he is the real deal, and then disappears for the rest of the contest. And then, people mostly remember that one great play and forget about the rest.

At this point, I am not even convinced he is better than a healthy Joe Flacco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

I am in the minority here, probably, but even if we don't land Lawrence I believe we have to move on from Darnold.

I can't imagine a scenario where we get so much better everywhere else that we will be able to carry the QB. The guy makes one great play every game, that makes everyone think he is the real deal, and then disappears for the rest of the contest. And then, people mostly remember that one great play and forget about the rest.

At this point, I am not even convinced he is better than a healthy Joe Flacco.

Darnold is more than likely gone. There’s a very slim chance we aren’t drafting 1 or 2. CIN, HOU and LAC I think will win another game getting them to 3 wins at least. DAL and WAS play in an awful division and anytime any of them play each other someone has to win. So I see them getting another win more than likely as well.


So I think we are a safe bet to be drafting 1st or 2nd putting us with nearly a no brained to go QB. I also think that when Darnold does come back the defenses we face are rough. Which will more than likely solidify we need to move on. While I still stand by that we ruined him he never giving him weapons... if we’re drafting 1 or 2 we have to change at QB with the 2 guys available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Darnold is more than likely gone. There’s a very slim chance we aren’t drafting 1 or 2. CIN, HOU and LAC I think will win another game getting them to 3 wins at least. DAL and WAS play in an awful division and anytime any of them play each other someone has to win. So I see them getting another win more than likely as well.


So I think we are a safe bet to be drafting 1st or 2nd putting us with nearly a no brained to go QB. I also think that when Darnold does come back the defenses we face are rough. Which will more than likely solidify we need to move on. While I still stand by that we ruined him he never giving him weapons... if we’re drafting 1 or 2 we have to change at QB with the 2 guys available.

I agree with you.  I like Sam.  I think he can be successful .  But when you have a chance to draft a better prospect then him with consideration of resetting the clock on paying your QB big money as well as the fact Sam (for wahtever reason) has not looked like a franchise QB - you have to take T Law.  I really do see us not winning a game .. if we do we only have to worry about Jax who can  win 1 more game this year.  lol  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 7:13 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

 

The Jets will have two 1sts plus and 90M in cap.  Add in a new coach and we can turn it around quick was the point of my post.  We have a franchise LT, possibly Lawrence or Fields, and 90M to work with.  We should turn things around quick if we get the HC right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...