How good would LAR be without Goff?

Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Typical Rams fan throws a tantrum when his beloved Jared Goff gets called out for sucking.

I'm not about to troll Rams fans or Goff, but I have noticed some of them are willing to chuck McVay under the bus at times in order to make sure Goff doesn't look bad. Not that Mcvay is beyond criticism (for example there are def games he needs to run more), but some Rams fans on here seem very quick to defend Goff and make sure McVay takes the flak instead. 

McVay is friggin genius. He elevates any team. 

• Like 4

The Rams right now remind me a bit of the Chiefs and Alex Smith. Not identical because Goff can toss it deep here and there and obviously not as much offensive talent, but I feel that offense and team would just explode with a QB who can open up things a bit more. Say, a Stafford or some sort.

Edited by RUGmen

16 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

The Rams right now remind me a bit of the Chiefs and Alex Smith. Not identical because Goff can toss it deep here and there and obviously not as much offensive talent, but I feel that offense and team would just explode with a QB who can open up things a bit more. Say, a Stanford or some sort.

I feel like it’s easy to say that. What did people just say about Brady? If only he had great weapons he wouldn’t look so bad. Well he got all kinds of weapons in Tampa and he still looks bad I’d say worse than he did last season. He can’t complete the deep ball and missing guys by a mile overthrowing them. 

So nobody truly knows how the Rams offense will look with another QB. Could be better but what if the eve result which is wins/losses be worse? I’d rather win knowing Goff executed what is really a complicated offense well but he made one or two mistakes and the Rams win than someone who can’t execute the offense well but the talent gets that QB better numbers and and the Rams lose. Again Cousins put up nice numbers with McVay but the Redskins didn’t win any meaningful games. Dak plays in the worst division with top tier receivers, the best OL for years before Fredericks retired and a back who was top 3 in the NFL in rushing for multiple seasons and the Cowboys never ever sniffed the NFCCG let alone the Superbowl. 

Point is Goff is perfect for the Rams team. He isn’t perfect as an individual but he is the right fit for the Rams. If Kyle stayed with the Falcons we would have a different outlook of Ryan. Ryan can be great abs he can be flat out bad. I thought Kyle kept Ryan steady. McVay keeps Goff steady even with all of his flaws. Nobody talks about this but there is a reason Mahomes fell in the draft and it took the Chiefs to trade up to get him. Scouts didn’t view Mahomes as a generational player. If they did he would’ve went 1st overall. But he went to the right situation where he is perfect with Reid. Wentz was perfect with Reich until he took the Colts job now Wentz has fallen apart. Allen is perfect for Buffalo but coming into the NFL many people including myself thought Allen would definitely bust. 

44 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I feel like it’s easy to say that. What did people just say about Brady? If only he had great weapons he wouldn’t look so bad. Well he got all kinds of weapons in Tampa and he still looks bad I’d say worse than he did last season. He can’t complete the deep ball and missing guys by a mile overthrowing them. 

He's 43

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

And??? Thats hindsight to me because when everyone was making that claim nobody mentioned his age. They just said New England surrounded him with nothing and if only he had weapons he would look like he did prior to the last few seasons. 

That's wrong people pointed his age out plenty, you're talking about the New England fans who said it was a lack of weapons, people were saying he had a bum arm, his age was showing, he wasn't the same, etc etc, that's why everyone said he'd be bad in Tampa and that hes washed

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

So nobody truly knows how the Rams offense will look with another QB. Could be better but what if the eve result which is wins/losses be worse? I’d rather win knowing Goff executed what is really a complicated offense well but he made one or two mistakes and the Rams win than someone who can’t execute the offense well but the talent gets that QB better numbers and and the Rams lose. Again Cousins put up nice numbers with McVay but the Redskins didn’t win any meaningful games. Dak plays in the worst division with top tier receivers, the best OL for years before Fredericks retired and a back who was top 3 in the NFL in rushing for multiple seasons and the Cowboys never ever sniffed the NFCCG let alone the Superbowl. 

Point is Goff is perfect for the Rams team. He isn’t perfect as an individual but he is the right fit for the Rams. If Kyle stayed with the Falcons we would have a different outlook of Ryan. Ryan can be great abs he can be flat out bad. I thought Kyle kept Ryan steady. McVay keeps Goff steady even with all of his flaws. Nobody talks about this but there is a reason Mahomes fell in the draft and it took the Chiefs to trade up to get him. Scouts didn’t view Mahomes as a generational player. If they did he would’ve went 1st overall. But he went to the right situation where he is perfect with Reid. Wentz was perfect with Reich until he took the Colts job now Wentz has fallen apart. Allen is perfect for Buffalo but coming into the NFL many people including myself thought Allen would definitely bust. 

He's not bad. 28 TDs to 11 ints, with 65% completion and 2nd in yards isn't 'bad'. 

As for Goff being the perfect fit for McVay, I think it's easy to just throw that out there. I'd say Allen is perfect for McVay.....that Burrow is perfect for McVay, Tannehill, Murray, Prescott, Tua.....anyone above average is workable for Sean. There are QBs in the league that would elevate this team even further though. It does sometimes feel like a mistake that Goff made here and there cost the team the win. Yesterday would be one of those games. Trucking it up into the LB was a questionable call, for example.

Jared Goff's career has made no sense to me.  I went from thinking he was an over-drafted quarterback, to being sold on him as a future elite QB, to now questioning if he really is any good.  I still think he can and will turn it around, but I'm questioning it more now.

Rams should look to get him a top-flight RB.  Feels like that is the biggest thing missing from that offense.  Goff was balling when Gurley was there and at his peak.

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Jared Goff's career has made no sense to me.  I went from thinking he was an over-drafted quarterback, to being sold on him as a future elite QB, to now questioning if he really is any good.  I still think he can and will turn it around, but I'm questioning it more now.

Rams should look to get him a top-flight RB.  Feels like that is the biggest thing missing from that offense.  Goff was balling when Gurley was there and at his peak.

What do you see (or not see) that makes you question if he's any good?

Edited by Hunter2_1

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What do you see (or not see) that makes you question if he's any good?

Well, not literally not any good.  I know he's good enough to be a starter.  I mean more-so questioning if he's the top-end, elite QB I thought he was or could be.  His decision-making has been terrible.  And while #s are the be-all, end-all, he's fallen off by every measure statistically in 2020 and 2019 vs 2018 and 2017.  It just makes you wonder how valuable Todd Gurley is either to Goff's performance or McVay's offense.  Admittedly I just don't watch enough of Rams football to say either way.  Just from the limited times I get to see Goff, his decision-making is the biggest thing that jumps out to be.  Like the Miami game.  I don't think he's gotten any less accurate.  That's why ultimately, I think he'll be okay.  But I'm not as convinced of that as I was, say, heading into the season.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

Their talent is overrated. Woods and Kupp are good. But RBs aren’t that good. No one you really worry about beating you vertically. TEs are good but not really mismatches.

Watson would probably make them a Super Bowl contender.

Theyd be pretty legit with Dak.

The other 3 I think they’d be about the same as they are now.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Well, not literally not any good.  I know he's good enough to be a starter.  I mean more-so questioning if he's the top-end, elite QB I thought he was or could be.  His decision-making has been terrible.  And while #s are the be-all, end-all, he's fallen off by every measure statistically in 2020 and 2019 vs 2018 and 2017.  It just makes you wonder how valuable Todd Gurley is either to Goff's performance or McVay's offense.  Admittedly I just don't watch enough of Rams football to say either way.  Just from the limited times I get to see Goff, his decision-making is the biggest thing that jumps out to be.  Like the Miami game.  I don't think he's gotten any less accurate.  That's why ultimately, I think he'll be okay.  But I'm not as convinced of that as I was, say, heading into the season.

We have Henderson and Akers, but the problem is that there’s too many RBs and not enough touches....I am close to saying the hell with this RB by committee approach and just feed the hot hand; Hendo and Akers don’t get the touches that they should.

4 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Their talent is overrated. Woods and Kupp are good. But RBs aren’t that good. No one you really worry about beating you vertically. TEs are good but not really mismatches.

Watson would probably make them a Super Bowl contender.

Theyd be pretty legit with Dak.

The other 3 I think they’d be about the same as they are now.

I disagree. The Rams backs and tight ends are good. Did you not see what Higbee was doing last season? He almost became the first TE in NFL history to have like 5 straight games of 100yds receiving. He was 16yds short Week 17. He just don’t get a lot of balls his way consistently because of Woods and Kupp then the screen game with the backs plus Everett gets involved. Higbee surge last season had a lot to do with Everett being hurt.

As for the backs I think both Akers and Henderson are talented. If either one was on a different team they would be amongst the best backs imo. McVay for what ever reason wants to rotate three backs. Backs need to get it a groove and they can’t do that with 9 carries. Akers had a 61yd run. Before that run he only had 7 carries I believe. I look at Henry for the Titans. Were we saying he was the best in the NFL in 2018 when he was splitting touches with Dion Lewis? Nope. How about 2017 with DeMarco Murray? Nope. Many people said at that time he was overrated and a bust. The second Vrabel came in and said they were going to feed Henry the ball that’s when he became the best back. Teams can slow him down for 3 quarters but keep feeding him in the 4th and/or OT he will break one and change the game just like he did against the Ravens. I feel Akers and/or Henderson can do that if they get fed 20+ times. Who knows if Akers could’ve broken more big runs in that Niners game had he got more than 9 carries? That’s what frustrates me. Of course he doesn’t look great consistently when only given so few chances. McVay is hurting his offense with not just letting one of those talented backs get in a groove in the game with a chance to eventually start to break a few long runs then putting the fear in defense to really play the run and let Goff playaction off that to wide open receivers. 

13 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Teams can slow him down for 3 quarters but keep feeding him in the 4th and/or OT he will break one and change the game just like he did against the Ravens. I feel Akers and/or Henderson can do that if they get fed 20+ times. 

It's really tricky to compare any RB (especially a rookie 2nd rounder + a 2nd year 3rd rounder) to Derrick Henry and thinking they'd do something similar. 
Akers and Henderson are okay RBs but you honestly think they'd BOTH be among the best backs in the league with more carries/playing for a different team?
Seems like a real big homer take to me.