How good would LAR be without Goff?

Hunter2_1

5 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Ryan's not great but he's better under pressure than Goff. Which seems to be a huge reason most are low on him, right?

I disagree, but that's because I think both are pretty bad under pressure. I feel like Ryan just falls and takes the sack while Goff tries to force something that isn't there. The outcome for Goff is probably worse in those situations, but I think the odds of either succeeding under pressure is about the same. 

Honestly with Ryan, the age should seal it for Goff. Anyone who is taking a 35 year old Matt Ryan over a 26 year old Jared Goff right now has to be strictly playing for one season. With how Goff has performed, I have no problem saying Ryan is better right now, but if it's close, give me the QB that's 9 years younger. 

On 12/30/2020 at 4:53 PM, JonStark said:

Nope.

Would still take Watson easily. Would still probably take Dak, but it's closer. Would rather have Goff than Jimmy G, Cousins, or 35 year old Matt Ryan (who I've never been a fan of anyway). 

I'd take cousins over Goff... Cousins' meltdowns are more contained. Jimmy and Goff are basically the same, but I think a good amount of that is because of Kyle,  as I think shanny protects Jimmy more, so I'd take Goff over Jimmy. 

I still think Goff is in that might tier of QBs  that range from line 12-19. You can have preferences, but they are all ostensibly the same

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd take cousins over Goff... Cousins' meltdowns are more contained. Jimmy and Goff are basically the same, but I think a good amount of that is because of Kyle,  as I think shanny protects Jimmy more, so I'd take Goff over Jimmy. 

I still think Goff is in that might tier of QBs  that range from line 12-19. You can have preferences, but they are all ostensibly the same

I can't disagree with any of that really. The main reason I'd still take Goff over Cousins is age (6 year difference). 

I'll die on the hill that Goff has elite potential because he is one of the most talented throwers I've scouted in a while. I'm fine placing him in that range right now, because he needs to have the other areas of his game improve (ie pocket presence, reading the defense, not letting negative plays affect you on the next one, etc) to move into the next tier, but people are writing off a 26 year old pocket passer to quickly. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

If you're playing fantasy football, Cousins is a fine QB. I don't want him QBing my team IRL.

I can't believe this conversation is even still happening lol

There are two Goffs. "Good Goff" is somewhere in the 6-10 range of QBs. But Goff at his very best still isn't top 5 in the NFL. "Bad Goff" is bottom 10. You get Good Goff more than you get Bad Goff, but you still don't want to rely on that inconsistency

In aggregate, he's 13th in Comp%, but only 20th in YPA, and 24th in YPC. His TD% is 27th in the league, and INT% ranks 23rd. But hey, he can volume!

Yes, he was excellent in 2017 and 2018, but he's got 30+ games of NOTABLE dropoff from those numbers. You have to start questioning if this is who he really is going forward. He's basically Ben right now, tbh, and doesn't have the excuse of being 200 years old to justify the drop off.

You can stick with your guy if you want, that's cool. But if teams were given the chance to amnesty one of their contracts, the Rams would do it with Goff without blinking

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tk3 said:

You can stick with your guy if you want, that's cool. But if teams were given the chance to amnesty one of their contracts, the Rams would do it with Goff without blinking

Hero of every week is Snead or whoever writes Goff's cheque. To do that, keep a straight face, and keep turning up to work every day - THAT's toughness

On 1/1/2021 at 5:33 AM, ET80 said:

No, but Jared Goff is holding a 12-4 or 13-3 team back. Hence the question.

Of course that is a question... That’s like saying I could leave my wife whose gotten a little bigger. Has 3 kids, and I could go find a IG baddy.. But ima miss her and I love her. We love the unknown! But also! Crave the comfort of what we have. We take a lot of things for granted. And the rams haven’t had this level of success in a while. He’s had 2 amazing seasons and 2 very bleh is he regressing seasons.. I’m not gonna look at you and say he’s played like a top QB. He hasn’t! He’s lost us some games and he isn’t playing his style of game. He’s not taking any deep shots.. He hasn’t been a rhythm at all this season. He’s been a huge funk and the offense has struggled.. He’s played like cheeks in far too many games for being a year 4-5 QB. He’s supposed to be ascending not regressing. But hey we’re 10-6 and he’s played a part in that. Everyone said the rams would be dead last or 3rd in the division. Yet here we are! We a decent playoff shot if Goff! Returns to form.. Will it happen? Idk. But I’m here for the ride. You have this amazing QB in Watson! Yet there’s no substance... I’m just happy we made it back.. We haven’t had a losing season! And for all the hate he gets(deservingly so) he’s played a big part in that. He never gets his due and gets all the blame. He isn’t what we ram fans have hoped he would be(specially jrry)! But dammit he’s still young and I love him. He’s my wife and I am committed till death do us part or till Mcvay cans him. We ride baby! 

Btw I am not married. I don’t have kids. Hope you got the pick. In no way shape or form am I offending anyone! We love who we love. Do what makes you happy! Just an analogy that I feels has a bit similarities. It’s not like we could just can him and start over. We don’t pick early enough and are cash strapped. He still has potential. And being a playoff team with the potential to win it all! After not seeing a post season for 14-15 games! How dare I complain. Ima shut my little mouth and shake my pom poms and scream like a little fan girl whose watching her first K pop concert. Hope you had a happy Christmas, better New Years and achieve more goals this year. 

Edited by El Ramster

2 hours ago, BigTrav said:

🤣

Hmm, they'd be better with a more explosive offense with a guy who's never played before. 

But none of this was the case yesterday. You're just fitting the narrative to your view. 

The Rams offense was not better yesterday, by any measurable statistic. If you say it's better because of "the eye test" then... Well, you're eyes need some corrective lenses.

7 hours ago, El Ramster said:

How dare I complain.

Yeah, be careful you don't fall into a Matt Schaub. It's similar to the Florence Nightingale effect - you fall in love with your captors as opposed to seeing them for what they are, which is a kidnapper who is holding you back from happiness.

I did the same thing with Matt Schaub once...

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, be careful you don't fall into a Matt Schaub. It's similar to the Florence Nightingale effect - you fall in love with your captors as opposed to seeing them for what they are, which is a kidnapper who is holding you back from happiness.

I did the same thing with Matt Schaub once...

Matt Schaub was pretty damm good though. Specially going from David Carr? It’s like driving a 1970 YUGO to a 2022 AMG S63

4 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Matt Schaub was pretty damm good though. Specially going from David Carr? It’s like driving a 1970 YUGO to a 2022 AMG S63

But you're comparing that AMG to a F22 Raptor - because that's the sort of QB you want, a fighter jet.

Just because he's better than Carr doesn't mean he's good.