2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

RJ Barrett is a completely different type of player than Cade Cunningham so that comparison holds zero weight.

RJ Barrett was a better creator for himself and for others at Duke than Cade was this season, lol.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

LaMelo is a rookie averaging 16-6-6 on 45-38-79 as a rookie and didn't show as much ability to score last year as Cade did this year. More importantly, he's impactful and made the Hornets a better team. If Cade is between Ball and Doncic he's going to be really good. There are only like 5 or 6 legitimate #1's in the NBA so if he's not that who cares?

Chris Paul makes everyone around him significantly better. Look at how teams play with and without him. He's not the elite scorer (and honestly disappointing in the postseason a lot of times) but his impact on the game is undeniable. The last three years are very clear evidence of this. The caliber of team either plummets or skyrockets when CP3 isn't there vs. when he is. Devin Booker hasn't done anything in his entire career until CP3 showed up. Ben Simmons is more impactful than say...Zach Lavine.

The term superstar wing doesn't make what I said incorrect. LeBron is a superstar wing who provides elite playmaking. The only superstar wing to win a title as the guy in that span without great playmaking is Kawhi, who beat half a Warriors team. 

Cade averaged 14 ppg as a senior in high school, did you miss LaMelo Ball scoring 100 in a game as a freshman? LaMelo also averaged 17.0 ppg playing professional basketball in Australia before he was drafted. 

And Cade is no where near Chris Paul, Luka Doncic, or LaMelo Ball as a passer or playmaker. So it's a mute point, yes CP3 makes everyone around him better, he's a great playmaker and passer. Cade hasn't shown that he can be even close to that level of playmaker, LaMelo showed much more as a passer/creator in Australia than Cade did this season. Ben Simmons definitely is more impactful but he also rebounds, creates, and defends at a very high level. Cade's a good but not great rebounder, will probably be about an average defender, and hasn't flashed high level play making ability. 

And how can you claim that Cade is a playmaker when he averaged 3.5 assists/4.0 turnovers while Green averaged 2.8 assists/2.7 turnovers against way better competition? Cade had 5+ assists in 5/27 games while Green had 5+ assists in 4/15 games, lol.

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cade averaged 14 ppg as a senior in high school, did you miss LaMelo Ball scoring 100 in a game as a freshman? LaMelo also averaged 17.0 ppg playing professional basketball in Australia before he was drafted. 

And Cade is no where near Chris Paul, Luka Doncic, or LaMelo Ball as a passer or playmaker. So it's a mute point, yes CP3 makes everyone around him better, he's a great playmaker and passer. Cade hasn't shown that he can be even close to that level of playmaker, LaMelo showed much more as a passer/creator in Australia than Cade did this season. Ben Simmons definitely is more impactful but he also rebounds, creates, and defends at a very high level. Cade's a good but not great rebounder, will probably be about an average defender, and hasn't flashed high level play making ability. 

And how can you claim that Cade is a playmaker when he averaged 3.5 assists/4.0 turnovers while Green averaged 2.8 assists/2.7 turnovers against way better competition? Cade had 5+ assists in 5/27 games while Green had 5+ assists in 4/15 games, lol.

You can't be serious. Did you watch LaMelo cherrypick his way to 92 points or are you simply reading the headlines? Cade averaged more points on better efficiency in a better league this year than LaMelo did in the NBL. Cade is an excellent playmaker. Is he an all time guy like Paul or Luka? Hard to say when you play on a selfish, terrible team like Ok St but he doesn't need to be ATG to be excellent in that regard, which he is. 

If you watched Cade play you'd see exactly why. When I first looked at his box score I was like wtf is this? How does he have more turnovers than points? Then I watched his selfish teammates chuck time and time again and look like a rec league team until Cade had the ball. It all made sense afterwards. He'd control the pace, find the open man, and deliver crisp passes to guys who would inevitably screw up. Unfortunately he tried doing too much at times and that's why he ended up being a high turnover guy. Trying to do too much on a bad team, needing to improve his finishing and not being a great athlete are his only weaknesses. 

If you watch Cade and Jalen play it should immediately stand out which guy can run an offense and which guy can't. If you can't, that's a serious indictment on your ability to evaluate the game. Not all assists are equal. Bill Russell assists are remarkably unimpactful because anyone can hand the ball off to a jump shooter behind them. Steve Nash assists are super impactful because he's actually dictating the action and creating the opportunities for others. That's the type of stuff Cade brings (though not on Nash's level).

Since you like numbers, there is no doubt in my mind Cade will average more assists next year than Green does (or Barrett for that matter, Cade will never be as weak a playmaker as RJ has been these last two years) and it will be blatantly obvious he's another level than them as a passer and creator.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

6'8, solid secondary playmaker, 40% 3 point shooter, average defender, average rebounder.

Am I describing Joe Ingles or Cade Cunningham?

Sounds like Joe Johnson, which I think Cade can become that kind of player.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Sounds like Joe Johnson, which I think Cade can become that kind of player.

Not a bad comparison, he reminds me of a bigger Brandon Roy. I still have him 2 or 3 on my board but I'd personally probably take Kuminga or Green over him. 

6'8, solid secondary playmaker, 40% 3 point shooter, average defender, average rebounder.

Am I describing Joe Ingles or Cade Cunningham?

slightly bigger tyreke evans? i haven't watched or even know what cade cunningham looks like 

46 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

slightly bigger tyreke evans? i haven't watched or even know what cade cunningham looks like 

Cade is a good player I just don't think he's a franchise changing talent. People expect Luka but I think he'll be closer to Wiggins/Simmons in terms of career trajectory. 

Cade is a good player I just don't think he's a franchise changing talent. People expect Luka but I think he'll be closer to Wiggins/Simmons in terms of career trajectory. 

He's not Luka but no one is. Luka's generational. Cunningham can certainly be a Simmons/LaMelo caliber of player or better.

• Like 1