Perceptions of Mahomes and the Chiefs

notthatbluestuff

The great players and teams (with some exceptions) are usually beloved when they first rise to prominence and remain so until the public decides they’ve been on the perch for too long; that’s when the resentment and jealousy starts to appear. Has that happened for Mahomes/Chiefs yet, and if not, what would it take for people as a whole to start disliking them?

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

The great players and teams (with some exceptions) are usually beloved when they first rise to prominence and remain so until the public decides they’ve been on the perch for too long; that’s when the resentment and jealousy starts to appear. Has that happened for Mahomes/Chiefs yet, and if not, what would it take for people as a whole to start disliking them?

He's still golden boy.

If he wins the superbowl again, and they are great again the following season, people will get tired and salty. A bit like Brady and the pats. 

You already see Mahomes getting the rub of the green with the refs. It doesn't help that he's flopped a few times already....but I think he's still loved.

They are div rivals, so naturally. But i don't mind them yet. If they win SB this year, i will. Or if they win division next year i will. Their reign of consecutive division titles HAS to stop at 5. Herbert, Gruden and Broncos need to put an end to it before a Patriots like run starts. Right now they are on a Tebow/Peyton Broncos run... 

They are fun to watch. Tonight was the only the 2nd time i haven't watched a full game of theirs (fell asleep 2nd qtr), since Mahomes became QB. Last night and his first start vs Den. 

So they are close..... not there yet. See what happens this year. I'm rooting for 1 and done.

Edited by Bearerofnews

I begrudgingly respect him and see why he's valuable - but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I started to hate him after that playoff game, simply because it was my team that felt the brutality of his ability.

It's also bothersome to know that Deshaun Watson will pretty much be in his shadow until Watson gets his supporting cast to make his own run.

• Like 1

It’s hard to hate Andy Reid, I don’t think I’ll ever dislike them like I did the Pats and Brady. I’ve already started to get annoyed with some of the fans, which I’m sure is how team hate typically starts. But I don’t think another team will ever be to the point where I’d rather lose to the Steelers than the Pats or root for the Steelers to defeat the Brady Pats.

I’m sure I’ll get to a point within the next year or two where I could dislike the Chiefs, but at max, I’m thinking I’ll have them below the Steelers and the Browns. I think it would take them beating the Ravens in like back to back AFCCG’s or something for them to get to a Pats level of hate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Belichick and Brady’s personalities are easy to hate. Reid and Mahomes are easy to love. So for me, it’ll never get to hate for the Chiefs

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

It’s hard to hate Andy Reid, I don’t think I’ll ever dislike them like I did the Pats and Brady. I’ve already started to get annoyed with some of the fans, which I’m sure is how team hate typically starts. But I don’t think another team will ever be to the point where I’d rather lose to the Steelers than the Pats or root for the Steelers to defeat the Brady Pats.

I’m sure I’ll get to a point within the next year or two where I could dislike the Chiefs, but at max, I’m thinking I’ll have them below the Steelers and the Browns. I think it would take them beating the Ravens in like back to back AFCCG’s or something for them to get to a Pats level of hate.

You are never allowed to refer to Baltimore vs Steelers as a rivalry again 😄

50 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You are never allowed to refer to Baltimore vs Steelers as a rivalry again 😄

Perhaps.

But as much as I dislike the Steelers and while they’re the Ravens truest rival, the Pats were more hated. I think there’s a mutual hate/respect between Ravens and Steelers players, coaches, and fans. Two different rivalries. Ravens/Steelers is more like Red/Blue in Pokémon, while Ravens/Pats (w Brady) was more like Red going up against Team Rocket. No way do I want Blue winning, but as annoying as Blue might be with his braggadocios behavior, he’s not the slimy Team Rocket.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

It’s already starting, I think. The annoying commercials, the wild gesticulating after EVERY flag. Ffs, we get it.  There was illegal contact. Stop it.

That said, I don’t really feel it too much personally yet. The Panthers haven’t been competitive since his rise, so they haven’t gotten in our way. I’m still in the can’t believe my eyes phase. 

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

I’ve disliked them because they have brought in too many Andy Reid character guys like Hill.

Same feeling. They are a rival and I like some of their player including Mahomes. But the fact they employ Tyreek Hill irks me. When people point out how KC "found him in the 5th round" as if he was overlooked, it drives me nuts. He was there because we all know why.  Guy is a complete POS for what he did and if there was video of it, he wouldn't be in the league. 

• Like 2

My disdain for the Chiefs stems mostly from @Kirill’s posts. 

And I don’t like the Chiefs. They have a child-beater in Tyreek Hill on their roster, which automatically docks them points. Plus they’re really good, which was immediately  makes me root against them. It’s all made easier when the 2nd most important player on their team is complete and utter scum. I do like Kelce tho. And CEH. And I don’t dislike Mahomes.

They have a lot of likeable dudes really. It’s just hard not to root against the new potential dynasty, especially when it houses players like Frank Clark and Tyreek Hill. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Flounch said:

The only difference between The Chiefs and the Pats is that the Chiefs don't need to cheat to beat their opponents. 

And that's why i'm okay with the Chiefs. 

Definitely not a Patriots fan, but every team cheats, bud. I guarantee you that every team tries to steal signals, as well as use every other possible advantage. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

Football fans are already beginning to dislike them loads.

• Personally I think they're great. Mahomes is awesome and I'll appreciate the talent as long as get to watch it in this brutal sport. Some of the throws he makes are just amazing.
  • I means it's not European Elite Soccer or NBA Basketball levels of predictable. They're great but by no means unstoppable.
  • Absolutely no reason why the Steelers can't beat them or Ravens come up with a gameplan to do so.

I think Mahomes will grow into the Aaron Rodgers of the league. Where most people respect him but nobody likes him overly. He'll get the Brady/Manning treatment when Reid retires/Hill and Kelce get old about how he's "never done it without these weapons" narrative also. As if he isn't the X factor smh.