Perceptions of Mahomes and the Chiefs

notthatbluestuff

No matter what though, your premise is spot on. Streaks are only fun, ultimately, just for the fans. Back when I watched MMA nonstop, you had Matt Hughes. Extremely talented, had a ridiculous win streak. Couldn’t wait to see him lose, cause he wasn’t my guy. Wanderlei Silva had a crazy streak, and I cheered every step of the way, because he WAS my guy. It’s only natural. 

2 hours ago, QBIso said:

My disdain for the Chiefs stems mostly from @Kirill’s posts. 

And I don’t like the Chiefs. They have a child-beater in Tyreek Hill on their roster, which automatically docks them points. Plus they’re really good, which was immediately  makes me root against them. It’s all made easier when the 2nd most important player on their team is complete and utter scum. I do like Kelce tho. And CEH. And I don’t dislike Mahomes.

They have a lot of likeable dudes really. It’s just hard not to root against the new potential dynasty, especially when it houses players like Frank Clark and Tyreek Hill. 

Forgot about Kelce. He is a bit of a **** though, surely...?

13d5a9080d953fb4214f407fae2007e8.jpg

Ridiculously good player of course

Like I said in the game day thread - you get mobbed by rabid fans if you have the audacity to suggest you wouldn’t want Mahomes to fart directly into your mouth.

Chiefs are the best team right now and for some reason their fan base is super insecure about it. Also it’s annoying how in games that don’t even involve the Chiefs that Collinsworth has to moan about how any good throw is “Mahomes-esque”.

But mostly I’m just jealous because the Chiefs have 4 receivers better than any on my team and guys running wide open literally every single play, while we have receivers running into eachother to the tune of the Benny Hill theme....

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Perhaps.

But as much as I dislike the Steelers and while they’re the Ravens truest rival, the Pats were more hated. I think there’s a mutual hate/respect between Ravens and Steelers players, coaches, and fans. Two different rivalries. Ravens/Steelers is more like Red/Blue in Pokémon, while Ravens/Pats (w Brady) was more like Red going up against Team Rocket. No way do I want Blue winning, but as annoying as Blue might be with his braggadocios behavior, he’s not the slimy Team Rocket.

I didn’t think there’s that much respect anymore coming from the Steelers to the Ravens when Tomlin is tripping Jacoby Jones on the sideline and TJ Watt alligator rolls Ravens players knees every chance he gets but that’s a conversation for a different thread. 

Anyway back on topic - we all sat there and watched while a guy who beat his pregnant girlfriend senseless singlehandedly destroyed the Bucs. The Chiefs are a great football team but that doesn’t mean I have to like them.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

3 hours ago, QBIso said:

Definitely not a Patriots fan, but every team cheats, bud. I guarantee you that every team tries to steal signals, as well as use every other possible advantage. Nothing wrong with that. 

Every team has bad dudes as well. You're kidding yourself if you think an NFL lockeroom doesn't have some bad dudes in it.

7 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Every team has bad dudes as well. You're kidding yourself if you think an NFL lockeroom doesn't have some bad dudes in it.

Every NFL team might have bad dudes in the sense of guys who talk rough, come from a troubled background, or have gotten into some regrettable stuff before.

not every team has a guy who beat up his pregant girlfriend and broke his kids arm, and to imply as such is disengenuous 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Belichick and Brady’s personalities are easy to hate. Reid and Mahomes are easy to love. So for me, it’ll never get to hate for the Chiefs

Is he? He seems arrogant as hell. If Brady had ever pulled up on the sidelines to try and draw a flag, like Mahomes did against NE, he would have been absolutely crucified by this board.

Answering the OP's question, I will admit to thoroughly disliking the current Chiefs set-up. KC is perfect storm for me - The contrarian in me always instinctively dislikes media hyped teams, plus they have a trio of guys who rub me the wrong way in Kelce, Mahomes and Clark. 

And the biggest reason is Hill. I give KC fans a pass on this, because your team is your team, but how any neutral fan can cheer for a team with Tyreek Hill on it is beyond me. Guys like Josh Gordon are hounded out of league for "substance abuse" whilst full on violent sociopaths are lauded week-on-week. It's not right.

Oh, and Mahomes is weird looking and it bugs me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Same feeling. They are a rival and I like some of their player including Mahomes. But the fact they employ Tyreek Hill irks me. When people point out how KC "found him in the 5th round" as if he was overlooked, it drives me nuts. He was there because we all know why.  Guy is a complete POS for what he did and if there was video of it, he wouldn't be in the league. 

Funny coming from a Raider fan

1 hour ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Every NFL team might have bad dudes in the sense of guys who talk rough, come from a troubled background, or have gotten into some regrettable stuff before.

not every team has a guy who beat up his pregant girlfriend and broke his kids arm, and to imply as such is disengenuous 

Can we please stop the narrative that he broke his kids arm. It was a made up story from the family side of his ex fiance, who had problems of her own. He was allowed to have contact to his kid the entire time and didn't receive any punishment for it. He has to deal with the regressions for the 1st thing for his entire life, through. That will stick to him forever.

Edit: Back to the question. As a Chiefs fan i'm obviously in the wrong position and don't have any negative feelings about our team. But i think almost anybody was happy for Andy Reid to win a Super Bowl last season. He was the one guy that really deserved it from everything he has done in the league and the one thing that he probably needed to get the invitation to the Hall of Fame one day. In the end it matters how successful our team will be in the future. If we're regularely get into the playoffs and even deep into the playoffs i'd expecte more fans to  cheer for our opponents. There were a few reasons to root against the Patriots, but one in particular for me was their dominance and their presence in the Super Bowl. I'd always loved variety and seeing new team in the biggest game. Having the Patriots in their always made it easy to root against them and cheer for the other teams. If we would end up in the Super Bowl agains this year i'd already expect more fans to root for our opponent. If it happens more often in the next 5 years than there will be even more fans turning against us. They probably won't necessairly dislike our team, but it definitely would annoy them, as it happened to me with the Pats, when one team is dominating a division or a conference. Success will always get you new fans but also new haters. It's sexy to cheer for the successful team and it's sexy to root against them.

Edited by Edge

5 hours ago, Flounch said:

The only difference between The Chiefs and the Pats is that the Chiefs don't need to cheat to beat their opponents. 

And that's why i'm okay with the Chiefs. 

Whether you think the Patriots actually cheated or not, this is it right here. Well, this is Reid is WAY more likeable than Belichick.

Doesn't matter if they actually cheated - the perception is they did, which is why they were so hated.

Lots of people forget now, but in 2001, the casual fan was rooting for the Patriots HARD to beat the Rams. They were double digit underdogs, were really just an average team statistically and basically didn't stand a chance in the game according to most. And the Rams had just won a Super Bowl.

The hatred really only started when the talk of cheating started, whether it was valid or not, the Chiefs haven't and probably won't have anything like that.